The next new thing.....

Kate Mossad

Vice is either nihilistically apolitical or conservative, depending on who you believe. Vice doesn't really seem to give a shit about artistic or political progress, they just wanna party and get wasted. I like Piers Martin's Electric Independence column, though.

Although they tend to over do the whole irony thing I've always thought of Vice's "stance" as being more laugh or you'll cry. I respect that they'll cover stuff they like regardless, whether that be Whitehouse, Crass or Grime. Vice UK anyway.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
For once Pitchfork's obnoxiousness pays off. Hurrah! Better than the longwinded and semi-positive Petridis "review" in the Grauniad anyway.

mms

sometimes
I was going to ask who Pitchfork or the Guardian, but it applies equally to both I guess...

pitchfork has regular columns for dancehall, grime, dubstep, techno, and is occasionally spot on with its reviews etc, the guardian never has any of that.

swears

preppy-kei
True enough, but all the main headlines and hype revolve around guitar music. Indie/freak folk/neo-postpunk/classic alt rock reissues, all that beardy hipster grup sort of stuff.

"Dinosaur Jr frontman hangs out with some fella that used to be in Pavement at a Sleater Kinney gig, etc"

All that shit is the new MOR. It's like those Doonsbury cartoons of ageing hippies in the 70s and 80s. But now it's middle age, middle class former indie kids who find Franz Ferdinand a "cool guilty pleasure".

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah, true enough Pitchfork cover a broad variety of stuff but their mainstay is nerdy US Indie rock which if anything is worse than the UK variety.

shudder

Yeah, true enough Pitchfork cover a broad variety of stuff but their mainstay is nerdy US Indie rock which if anything is worse than the UK variety.

wrong wrong. Sure, some of the nerdiness is bad. But there's a lot more good stuff.

tate

Brown Sugar
Generation X + Fifteen Years x Larger Disposable Income = Pitchfork
Complaining about pitchfork has to be one of the oldest cliches in music discussion . . . it has been going on for yeaaaaaaaars and is really boring. It's not as if you were the first person to have a negative opinion of the website, or to coin a phrase using generalizations about gen x or whatever.

Last edited:

shudder

Complaining about pitchfork has to be one of the oldest cliches in music discussion . . . it has been going on for yeaaaaaaaars and is really boring. It's not as if you were the first person to have a negative opinion of the website, or to coin a phrase using generalizations about gen x or whatever.

come on, tate. surely you know that haterating about hatin' on pitchfork is already so old, that haterating about haterating about hatin' on pitchfork is already feeling tired... (sorry.... had to. agree with you, tho.)

swears

preppy-kei
@ tate

If it didn't suck so hard, then people wouldn't slag it off.
It's like saying "Well, NME's okay really, you're just a grump." If people weren't pissed off about things then nothing would ever change. Personally, I'd love to see all this indie-schmindie stuff wiped off the musical landscape, it would have a hugely positive effect.
Pitchfork still cling to this idea that what they're doing is an alternative, as if it's still 1986 and everybody else is listening to Chaka Khan or something. You fucks won! We've had 15 years of greasy, po-faced hipsters who can't play guitar or wear a suit properly in the charts. Give it up.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I stand by the US vs UK indie point. UK indie=MOR mainstream, boring and banal. US Indie= dreck like The Decemberists who are worse than any Coldplay or Snow Patrol.

shudder

yeah, but at least US indie also produces scenes where bands like Gang Gang Dance might emerge. I can't imagine that coming from UK indie (since it is, as you said gek, mainstream MOR).

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I would draw a line between the US Indie scene and the "underground"/hipster scene that produces acts like Gang Gang Dance. I'll admit that its a fuzzy one, but no more so than that in the UK.

mms

sometimes
I would draw a line between the US Indie scene and the "underground"/hipster scene that produces acts like Gang Gang Dance. I'll admit that its a fuzzy one, but no more so than that in the UK.

hmm, there's indie and actual indie, american stuff like pitchfork seems to be a bastion of actual indie values really, but i agree in a sense its pretty stuffy too, usually deconstructing 50 years of rock with minute changes of faces and structure, numbers of intruments, vocals less vocals rhythms etc.

incidentally i went to see comets on fire last night, it seemed to be full of london actual indie mafia ie the staff at rough trade and berwick street places, then the greasy boys that hang about the counters all day, and then loads of americans, and not many other people oddly. They seem to be a typically pitchfork band, i didn't enjoy it at all, 4 men playing the same riff on a guitar whilst someone else seemed to drop some electronics which i couldn't hear .
It seemed and looked like a weird wanking competition to me, but at any rate, it was more adventurous than any english stuff that calls itself indie which is all in all the straight up regirgitation of 30 years or so of guitar based pop paired down into a blanded out form, with the odd exceptions and the odd people who excel at it.