kode 9 and spaceape album

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The tracklist is looking good, certainly (shame "fukkaz" isn't on there tho- the cut up atonal sitars on that are wicked...) So artist albums then- who is going to deliver the definitive statement? We've got Skream and Distance's LPs dropping soon too, along with a second Vex'd album (I'm guessing). And perhaps eventually DMZ? Its a shame cos they've got a lot of very big "anthems", tho artist albums usually jettison those (ie- is Skream putting "Request Line" on his new album...? I've not found a tracklist yet but I'm presuming not...). Obviously a major problem is that they are predominantly designed to be listened to at home or in the car, but have to balance that with containing a few big club tunes too... So people like Burial whose tracks are a little bit murky at DMZ sound great slapped on a stereo... I have some doubts as to whether Skream can deliver a listenable long player, mainly on a sonic level (ie too much fruity) but at least his musical chops (ie chord progressions and melodies) auger reasonably well... The Vex'd album ("Degenerate") sounded amazing if you listened to 5 secs, unbelievably boring if you listened to 5 minutes...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Distance is pretty musical without sacrificing dancefloor muscle, and sonically he is one of the best dubstep producers (along with Loefah)... he also has quite a lot of breadth in his sound, from atmospheric ethnic stuff to metal, to delicate stuff (like Saints 'n' Sinners- what a track that is) and breakstep rollers... I suspect his album will be extremely listenable, but I'm not sure if he's central enough (ie the Loefah-DMZ-Skream axis of bass-evil) to deliver the definitive statement tho...

I do hope you don't mean central as though to suggest it has to be one of the croydon originators ?

I think given distances musical pedigree he will raise the bar and widen the scope to such an extent that possibly any definitive statement becomes moot.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
No not geographically based per se but rather that those three acts currently determine the core sound of dubstep... (as much by ruthlessly exploiting their own monopoly;) as by the fact that their particular brand of half step has come to dominate) but yes, Distance's album will be ace whatever I suspect.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
There's going to be a lot of useful musicality on the Skream LP. He's had flute players in for that 70s jazz funk vibe... plus with luck there'll be dutch flowers and summer dreams on it.

I'm looking forward to the Pinch LP - should be very good indeed...

Not too long to wait for Distance LP...

^only that I think they would complement each others sound quite nicely were they ever to collaborate and could possibly make the definitve statement outside of the Croydon sound. Skream, I don't know about. He seems to have headed into previously charted territory of late with the straight halfstep dub influence so word of live saxophones and flutes does sound welcoming. I just hope he has the diversity of beats to match. Pinch has yet to show that he has more than one string to his wobble bass but having said that Qawalli and Punisher are the best of the rest following in Loefahs mighty footprints.

C

cyst

^only that I think they would complement each others sound quite nicely were they ever to collaborate and could possibly make the definitve statement outside of the Croydon sound. Skream, I don't know about. He seems to have headed into previously charted territory of late with the straight halfstep dub influence so word of live saxophones and flutes does sound welcoming. I just hope he has the diversity of beats to match. Pinch has yet to show that he has more than one string to his wobble bass but having said that Qawalli and Punisher are the best of the rest following in Loefahs mighty footprints.

when you write such an opinionated statement as the one above its generally best to know what you're on about.;)

Last edited:
Surely you don't take my screen name seriously ? It is after all just my opinion. It has no bearing nor carries any weight. If it shows my ignorance I would hope someone more knowledgable would set me straight and pull me up. In the interest of relevent topical discussion perhaps you would care to have a go at the points raised instead of me ?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I think Pinch is on a completely other tip to Loefah- Pinch's brand of ultra-minimalism has more to do with minimal house, that aesthetic whereby every sound, timbre, percussion hit and detuned sub is chosen with immense care, tho "Punisher" is edging Loefah-wards... but Pinch's beats are still delicate, whereas Loe's are more hip hop heavy, and Pinch's attention to detail within the texture of the sub itself is indicative of different concerns... still somewhat disappointed that he hasn't followed up on the alien majesty of "Qawalli" yet...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
There are some major winners on Skream's album - Check It. Cutoff...

And some of his recent stuff is bloody fantastic - Here's A Sign, Dubbers Anonymous, Make Me, The Soul (Refix), Punisher (Refix)...

Excellent dancefloor electronic music. No shortage of ideas. Not 'straight halfstep dub influence', whatever that is?

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I think Pinch is on a completely other tip to Loefah- Pinch's brand of ultra-minimalism has more to do with minimal house, that aesthetic whereby every sound, timbre, percussion hit and detuned sub is chosen with immense care, tho "Punisher" is edging Loefah-wards... but Pinch's beats are still delicate, whereas Loe's are more hip hop heavy, and Pinch's attention to detail within the texture of the sub itself is indicative of different concerns... still somewhat disappointed that he hasn't followed up on the alien majesty of "Qawalli" yet...

Thats a pretty good analysis of Pinch.

There is a new tune he has being playing...played it as his last tune at DMZ. By Gravious called Temple Ball. So so deep.

shudder

holy shit! lose track of dubstep for a month or two, and all these albums all of a sudden on the pipe... kode 9 in is october, and skream too? how long a wait for the distance and pinch ones?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Gek, it really isn't true that Pinch hasn't followed up on Qawalli - he just hasn't released the tracks yet. Saving them all for the album, which is likely to be extremely good. Early in the new year hopefully.

And Loe puts at least as much attention to detail into his beats as Pinch does to his, just a different style.

(Plus - if you think you can knock out a Loefah tune in 45 minutes, do please put it up so we can see how easy it is :) ;) ).

nomos

Administrator
Just listening to Kode9 and Spaceape right now and I'm really impressed. When I get my thoughts collected I'll do up a review.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
@2stepfan: Yes Loefah's tunes are extremely finely honed, and minimal in their own way, but the impression they leave isn't really the same... Loe's fondness for a few fat sounds perfectly placed in space and time to convey the impression of an immense machine grinding all life before it is impressive tho!;) The 45 minute comment is just that a lot of his tracks in terms of structure are extremely formulaic (too many drop outs at the end of 8 bar phrases- he's one of the few producers to use that technique, which is great to dance to but just gets a bit wearing after the 10th choon that utilises exactly the same trick).

I'm eagerly anticipating a Pinch LP as you might imagine! He's only actually put out a handful of tracks officially (as far as I can tell, "War Dub", "Qawalli", "Punisher" I think)... I like "Punisher", especially the incredibly crisply engineered percussion on the VIP mix, but would probably prefer more liquid alien atmospherics to further explorations of "how fast does the LFO on my sub go?"

Last edited:
I'm eagerly anticipating a Pinch LP as you might imagine! He's only actually put out a handful of tracks officially (as far as I can tell, "War Dub", "Qawalli", "Punisher" I think)... I like "Punisher", especially the incredibly crisply engineered percussion on the VIP mix, but would probably prefer more liquid alien atmospherics to further explorations of "how fast does the LFO on my sub go?"

Hey, you'll like this one...last month I gave Pinch a lift home after he dj'd at the first HENCH night here in Bristol. When i pulled-up outside his house, he asked if I fancied coming in for a coffee, a smoke and listen to some fresh tunes he was working on. I was a bit tired, so politely declined and drove home to bed...

...wot a prick!!

for all i know i've already heard a fair proportion of the album in his dj sets, but Pinch doesn't give much away. if i ask him for a track/artist id, he just grins and taps the side of his nose. and he never writes anything on the labels of his dubplates, so no point peering over the booth for a sneaky peek! a pinch set is always a journey into the unknown. he never seems to play the same track twice.

anyway, i'm sure the album will be a head fuck. i've got a few of his older tunes on cd-r, like Wobble, Nightmare Prt1&2 etc, all wicked tunes, but probably won't ever see a release cos he's already moved on from there! he sez he's gonna give me a fresh cd-r soon...can't wait...although of course i'm too cool to remind him about it. fingers crossed...

Last edited: