kode 9 and spaceape album

UFO over easy

online mahjong
@2stepfan: Yes Loefah's tunes are extremely finely honed, and minimal in their own way, but the impression they leave isn't really the same... Loe's fondness for a few fat sounds perfectly placed in space and time to convey the impression of an immense machine grinding all life before it is impressive tho!;) The 45 minute comment is just that a lot of his tracks in terms of structure are extremely formulaic (too many drop outs at the end of 8 bar phrases- he's one of the few producers to use that technique, which is great to dance to but just gets a bit wearing after the 10th choon that utilises exactly the same trick).

Loefah's third choice remix shows he's far more than a one trick pony. It's very interesting percussively as well. Some of the sounds are almost like early Photek bits.

Pinch is good and all.. but so far, where's the weight? Punisher's cool, but the Loefah remix just completely obliterates it. There's even less going on than in the original, but when you hear it out it's like an earthquake. Destroys everything in it's path...

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Interestingly, Pinch and Loefah are quite close personally. Working in parallel at different ends of a spectrum.

Those older Pinches don't look like coming out - I tried... As to where's the weight - check the Qawalli VIP mix. Fuck me.

When I look at Loe's tunes in Live, the drops aren't quite as metronomic as you might think, though I know what you mean - but it's he interaction between the drops, and subtle melody line shifts and the relentless rollling bass that really pulls me in.

But I really, really REALLY like the electro direction of Loe's new stuff. But he's got so much in the works - I've heard a dancehall remix he's working on... fucking rocks...

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
http://www.myspace.com/dustdubz

looks fucking ace, paul!

on a side note, went to subdub last night and spent an hour or so in the back room, where mrk1 was djing- very fine tune selection too. however, viral syndicate were mc'ing and completely ruined the vibe- berating the crowd for 'not screaming fucking loud enough', whining about a dodgy mic lead 'engineer- i can't work with this, this ain't professional' etc.
the final straw was, when once again failing to get a response from the crowd they felt they deserved, one of them declared 'that was SHIT!'.

we left for the positive vibes of iration in the main room.

kode 9 rules.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
cant wait for this album, very excited

pinch's also, to me he's one of the most underrated producers in the scene (by the majority anyway), as for a one trick pony and being derivative of loefah, madness. guilty pleasures remix, answer, pages, the diversity is incredible...they fit into a tight body of work, but at the same time offering variety in a great number of senses... i think an album from him will be amazing... is it on mu? i havent heard anything about it.

as for the idea of a 'definitive' album, i dont know about that as a concept in this context, its hard to conceive of such a thing when the scene is so diverse, or at least the top end material is. would it have to be formulaic and archetypal to qualify as such?

no mention thus far of benga's newstep... seriously underrated i reckon, some incredible work on there

Tim F

I really really like the Kode 9 album, esp. the first half. The only problem is the portentous dub glowerring of the prior singles, which I find more and more boring and enervating all the time! Kode9 is definitely at his best when on a more technicolour tip, and I'm very pleased that he appears to have moved on from that earlier sound.

SpaceApe is much less annoying over the course of an album than I would expected, and I was saying on ILX that in a way his one-trick-pony style works well here b/c it throws the diversity of the arrangements into sharper relief.

Excited by the news of a Pinch album, especially if it's on a similar "liquid alien atmospherics" tip as the original "Qawwali".

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yes, Pinch LP is on Mu - of course. Big up Mike P for delivering the albums we've all been waiting for.

Pity Virus Syndicate didn't work for you Matt - on record they are fantastic, major list MCs in particular is just awesome. (Especially over Qawalli - try it! Will be on my new mix...)

Hopefully DustDubz will be able to do an announcement soon... been sweating on this for months...

Space Ape a one trick pony?!!!? Most brilliant, inspirational MC in the UK in my book...

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Pity Virus Syndicate didn't work for you Matt - on record they are fantastic, major list MCs in particular is just awesome. (Especially over Qawalli - try it! Will be on my new mix...)

their cd is fine and when they were actually doing their songs it was good, but the unrelenting barracking of the audience just annoyed (and highlighted a key difference between dubstep and grime)

boomnoise

♫
Still taking in the Kode9 album but after the first couple of listens i'm most impressed with how coherent it is. This is somewhat disrupted by the 'portentous dub glowerring' of the previous releases you refer to, Tim. But they still work well within the album context. I try to imagine their impact should i not be so familiar with them.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I think Space Ape is pretty listenable, he adds a nice layer of texture to tracks in a less aggressive manner than a grime MC would, I think a lot of the "one trick pony" gripes came about cos for a while he seemed to be using a lot of the same rhymes (live, on recordings etc) which made him seem a bit one dimensional... but I presume from what people are saying on the new Kode9 LP he's constantly switching it up?

shudder

what do people think of space ape on dubstep allstars 3?? did it contribute to the tunes at all? Sometimes I felt that it made all the tracks sounds kinda samey (even tho they're pretty diverse)

bassnation

the abyss
Thought it pulled them together into a cohesive whole that reflected the personality of Kode and Space.

theres more colour to the tracks that kode plays than the average dubstep dj. its bouncy rather than dirgey and every track has an abundance of ideas, of possible routes forward for the sound. inspirational as a dj and producer, in fact.

styledubk

I actually can't wait for this album to come out Statesides. Dubstep is growing on me slowly, but I have to say that most of the dubstep I have checked out, I'm definitely digging Kode 9's style.