Minimal techno blowing up

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
his music isn't really dubstep at all . It's elegant classicist intelligent techno in the old fashioned sense of the word.:) There are some nods towards dubsteps sonics and rhythmic structures on there but mainly it sounds like an update of the kind of artificial intelligence sound, much like his label mate claro intellecto.

I have to disagree, nothing Andy or Mark have produced to date sounds anything like the AI sound of past or present (you know who you are!!!), it's absolutely miles away from that sound. However, this new genre made me laugh "elegant classicist intelligent techno" FFS... ;)

You correct about Andy's stuff not being Dubstep, it isn't...

mms

sometimes
. However, this new genre made me laugh "elegant classicist intelligent techno" FFS... ;)

thats how it sounds to me, not a new genre.

how does claro intellecto not sound like a.i the label that brought him to the world then?
claro intellecto being the most successful artist on that label.
is that some kind of jedi mind trick or you just being a touch pedantic really?

steady now!

now then, this Claro character's the one who doing this 'warehouse sessions' series, right? i heard some clips of vol.3. sounded well lush. another one for the wishlist, sigh...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
thats how it sounds to me, not a new genre.

how does claro intellecto not sound like a.i the label that brought him to the world then?

I've no idea what has influenced Mark or Andy but it certainly doesn't sound like the AI sound to me, for example Warehouse 3 owes more to Basic Channel than anything AI and Ceramics has more in common with Red 2 than anything on Warp in the late 80's early 90's. It's not jedi mind trick (I hate Star Wars by the way) and nothing to do with being pedantic, more that I think you are really wrong on this fella...

mms

sometimes
steady now!

now then, this Claro character's the one who doing this 'warehouse sessions' series, right? i heard some clips of vol.3. sounded well lush. another one for the wishlist, sigh...

thats the one.
his lp on a.i., neurofibro is rather better than his warehouse records imo. more listening music, beautiful and deep, that sort of burrell bros soul but deep and updated with a touch of basic channels dubby atmospheres and some tidy engineering.
stotts lp is more in the listening vibe than his 12"s too, more laid back it's good stuff updating that classic kind of sound that runs thru warp to arovane and all that stuff, I reckon anyway.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
the Patience EP is also incredible, again, i like it better than the warehouse sessions thus far

neurofibro is amazing, there is some unbelievable depth and darkness within those grooves

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
okay, fair enough...i just heard he'd done a 10" with dubstep influence. haven't actually heard it yet!
Like this for instance?

And yeah, I'd always thought of Neurofibro at least as being a continuation of the Carl Craig derived 'intelligent techno' thing, although not as a result of any great amount of consideration.

DJ PIMP

intelecto is great - his track lacen is another fave.

more stuff on that vibe - the two recent tejada singles 'eurotunnel' and 'the end of it all' are lush. or the remix single of marc romboy's gemini album - the williams mix of impact disco is huge...

dogger

Sweet Virginia
Some kind soul hook me up with this. I can't find it anywhere!

it's on the "chasperli ep" on the bruchstuecke label. limited to 500 copies i think. both beatport and kompakt-mp3.de have it tho. the flip (by styro 2000) is excellent too...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
So are the Superlongevity releases a good place to start with this stuff? I know all about Hawtin but totally ignorant on any other stuff, and I think I like it...

swears

preppy-kei
All this genre needs is a pop song, like I.F.'s "Space Invaders are Smoking Grass" was to electro. Then, in about three years it will be the hot "new" thing after everybody copies that.
I've given up on this crappy decade anyway.

S

simon silverdollar

So are the Superlongevity releases a good place to start with this stuff? I know all about Hawtin but totally ignorant on any other stuff, and I think I like it...

the superlongevity comps are great, but they focus on a very particular sound- the slightly clunky, messy, often quite silly perlon sound. which i love...but if you want a more general, comprehensive introduction, i'd recommend luciano's 'sci fi hi fi' mix on soma, or dominik eulberg's mix (i think it's called something like 'kreucht + fleut'. something german anyway!)

a great, great FREE resource for all this stuff tho is the downloads section at www.4four.org: hundreds of live sets to download.

N

nomadologist

Couldn't have summed it up better myself. Here in Chicago, until recently I ran a (mostly) minimal night and while occasionally we'd have an unexpected good turn-out, it was mostly the same few people coming month-after-month.

Maybe it's better that way. Our top 40 being what it is, that gigantic machine with so much capital greasing the cogs, the Neptunes would trendify like Kompakt's minimal groove and then would it be fun anymore?

Just kidding.

I can only think of a few nights in NY, and boy are they lifeless.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
the superlongevity comps are great, but they focus on a very particular sound- the slightly clunky, messy, often quite silly perlon sound. which i love...but if you want a more general, comprehensive introduction, i'd recommend luciano's 'sci fi hi fi' mix on soma, or dominik eulberg's mix (i think it's called something like 'kreucht + fleut'. something german anyway!)

a great, great FREE resource for all this stuff tho is the downloads section at www.4four.org: hundreds of live sets to download.

Genius cheers Simon!