Minimal techno blowing up

mms

sometimes
the rice twins 12" on kompakt - an exceptional record - the track for dan is very poppy and extremely lovely and it's a wonderfully produced with a great fractal evolving sound.

S

simon silverdollar

the rice twins 12" on kompakt - an exceptional record - the track for dan is very poppy and extremely lovely and it's a wonderfully produced with a great fractal evolving sound.

i love the rice twins: minimal-trance a-go-go

Tim F

"For Dan" is on Mayer's new <i>Immer 2</i> mix. The section which goes "For Dan" --> SCSI-9's "Moskaya" --> Jesse Somfay's "Lying In a Bed of Mist" is quite amazing.

zhao

there are no accidents
these points are prolly already covered in some way but here are my 2 pesos:

minimal techno will not likely ever become a trendy phenomenon like electro-clash because

1. it does not involve an entire set of cultural signifiers built around the "scene" which is necessary for recognition by non-music-nerds, and its subsequent proliferation - the hair, boots, irony, etc.

2. the human element. no matter how love-lorn Closer Music's vibe is, it does not have the punchy gestural effectiveness of the breathy dissapassionate vocals of a band like Adult. anti-sex is sex. and sex is a pre-requisite.

3. I had a number 3 but now don't remember what it was...

Tim F

Actually i disagree with point number 1: minimal <i>definitely</i> has a set of "cultural signifiers built around the "scene"":

- artists moving to Berlin and doing lots of drugs at sunny after-after-after-after-parties at about 3pm on a Sunday afternoon
- long hair, short beards optional (versus functional but funky bobs for the ladies), and a generally fey look
- drugs
- scarves with t-shirts so hot right now
- drugs
- expensive fashion and perhaps even excessive make-up incl. on guys, with the proviso that by the 17th hour you will look even more wasted than otherwise with godawful raccoon eyes
- drugs
- and yet more drugs

It's kinda like the arty-bohemian version of Gatecrasher really!

Which means that it won't crossover to rock audiences the way that electroclash did, but for different reasons - this stuff takes the excesses of dance music afficianado obsession to its limits rather than cross-pollinating it with rock.

But it's definitely vulnerable to becoming a stereotyped scene - one need look no further than sour letters to Mixmag complaining about the magazine giving props to this music when its denizens are nothing but elitist drug-fucked boring drug-fucked style-obsessed drug-fucked etc. etc.

well i'll be damned. i thought the stuff i was listening to was made by conservatively dressed, bespectacled, slightly withdrawn, , stone-cold-sober, intensely serious young men.
it's a funny ol' world...:confused:

dogger

Sweet Virginia
well i'll be damned. i thought the stuff i was listening to was made by conservatively dressed, bespectacled, slightly withdrawn, , stone-cold-sober, intensely serious young men.
it's a funny ol' world...:confused:

lol! funny thing is at these nights, for every hipster complete with minimal scarf, tastefully ripped t-shirt and white powder of uncertain composition caked around his nosehole, you have the odd "conservatively dressed, bespectacled, slightly withdrawn, , stone-cold-sober, intensely serious young men" dancing, incredibly seriously and incredibly badly, all night long.....it really is a funny ol' minimal world!!

swears

preppy-kei
can someone post pictures of Ricardo Villalobos in action here, please?

2073.jpg

bassnation

the abyss
lol! funny thing is at these nights, for every hipster complete with minimal scarf, tastefully ripped t-shirt and white powder of uncertain composition caked around his nosehole, you have the odd "conservatively dressed, bespectacled, slightly withdrawn, , stone-cold-sober, intensely serious young men" dancing, incredibly seriously and incredibly badly, all night long.....it really is a funny ol' minimal world!!

aren't they usually clustered round the record decks salivating over vinyl and mixing techniques?

i remember a lot of hawtin-clones at lost, although this was many years ago.

blunt

shot by both sides
aren't they [conservatively dressed, bespectacled, slightly withdrawn, stone-cold-sober, intensely serious young men] usually clustered round the record decks salivating over vinyl and mixing techniques?

Have you seen Hawtin lately?

RichieHawtin1.jpg

Depending on your point-of-view, it's either an abortive attempt to attain the same level of beauty as La Villalobos, or a distinct improvement on the asceticism of Hawtin version 1.0...

richie2.jpg

Last edited:

dogger

Sweet Virginia
aren't they usually clustered round the record decks salivating over vinyl and mixing techniques?

yeh either there or on the main dancefloor, gyrating like coma victims being stood up and zapped with cattle prods - eyes closed, total concentration. this was in berlin anyway, and germans do take their techno very seriously...

btw i've got nothing against such people....i actually kinda respect the geeky dedication they have....

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

The worst people at Lost are the 'guardians of techno' who stand around with folded arms, and continue to, er, stand there til six in the morning. Only looking down to get lairy at anyone who accidentally brushes past them and upsets their techno-meditation.

Wankers.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Have you seen Hawtin lately?

RichieHawtin1.jpg

Depending on your point-of-view, it's either an abortive attempt to attain the same level of beauty as La Villalobos, or a distinct improvement on the asceticism of Hawtin version 1.0...

richie2.jpg

Do you think the next model will come with genitals too?

Guybrush

Dittohead
Who is the guy to the right of Villalobos? He looks a bit like the late Mark Spoon.

We should do a Great Pictures of People DJing thread.

ricardo_villalobos_lfp2003.jpg

Villalobos

moguai_timewarp_nord.jpg

Moguai

Extrema_138_Dr_Lectroluv.jpg

Dr Lectroluv