Minimal techno blowing up

mms

sometimes
I like all this stuff too. I think the Super Discount 2 compilation heralded a new, harder slightly more electro-ish (for want of a better word) sound five years after the filtered disco of volume 1. And Mr Oizo is has been putting out good stuff for ages.
Justice? They're okay I guess. The big tune of this whole electro-house thing at the moment is Smash TV's "Yellow Asteroids". There's quite a lot of crossover with minimal, you could do a set with both styles in there, easily.

yeah i know all them trax, i reckon it's a bit of a midway isn't it, between electroclash and minimal's absolutley non rock.

DJ PIMP

yellow asteroids is a funny one. ravey siren style lead. detroity chord underpinnings. very up, almost trance-like bittersweet euphoria.

reminds me of this one orlando voorn track from 1997ish with this out of time loop and a breakbeat that drops in out of nowhere... taking these varied dancefloor motifs and smushing them together.

some lovely textures hidden away in the background of petter's "some polyphony".

childrentalking

best minimal I've heard lately (and the best Perlon in nearly a year) is Melchior Production's "Different Places" 12". total leftfield swerve for him, but it's fucking beautiful (side A) / terrifying (B). hope I get to hear this through a system...

childrentalking

yeah, it's a crappy recording. i wouldn't call it 'unlistenable', it's more like a preview. all the more reason to buy it when it comes out!

polystyle

It's been bubbling all along ...

Coming in late to this one , but as far as 'reckoning it could blow up'
minimal techno (in it's various forms) has been bubbling along for quite a while now.
Mid '90's we caught Q-Hey in Tokyo and were tipped to their brand , since then
well chuffed to see Q Hey's name on gig poster in Brussells last year.
Minimal tech music is around alot of the world , most nights, regardless of what
'pundit class' wants to name it / tag it ...

Even if it's only a few people into it on that given night ,
but like electro' twill prolly be around for those 'there for the musik' a while to come .
Without 'blowing up'
Cheers

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Now thaaat is the shit. Not sure if the EQing etc. is being done live but super job either way.

Holy Mother of Fuck. Anyone got a spare pair of pants?

Can someone tell me what all the fuss is about? I just don't see it at all. That is such a dull track - no energy or dynamics. I know it's a thin line between hypnotic & tedious (and not helped by a low quality mp3) but jeez...

I've listened to a few mixes from that 4four site that simon linked to, and I haven't heard anything yet to convince me that this is anything more than the 2nd coming of tech-house, but even less interesting (if such a thing was possibly).

What a curmudgeon I am turning into.

childrentalking

well it's the length of the track that makes the horns special... you're dancing for 5 minutes to the dubby thunks part and then the horns appears out of nowhere, very very high in the mix. if it was 5 minutes long with the horns interjecting every minute it wouldn't really work as well.

tate

Brown Sugar
well it's the length of the track that makes the horns special... you're dancing for 5 minutes to the dubby thunks part and then the horns appears out of nowhere, very very high in the mix. if it was 5 minutes long with the horns interjecting every minute it wouldn't really work as well.
Yes, that's a good point. I can well imagine many different formal possibilities for the construction of an RV track where five, ten, or more minutes are required in order to set up a transition or textural change. Exactly as you say. What caught me slightly offguard the first time that I heard the track, I suppose, was the instrumentation and note selection. Not just the fact that there are horns and a clarinet, but the notes they play. Esp in light of the B Jaxx tune, the Balkan Beat Box record, and others who have made reference to central and eastern european folk traditions recently, some more obliquely than others of course.

swears

preppy-kei
I love really fake sounding instrument settings on old keyboards. That's the next big sonic trend after analogue/FM synthesis has run it's course. Also, the way these sounds are used in dancefloor tracks is completely different from how an instrumentalist would/could use them.

DJ PIMP

that booka shade track queen lucid has got a lovely chiffy flute lead... and the jona remix of body language is a polite orgy of faux instrument synth patches.

its a bit like metro area - right in the sweet spot between being genuine and kitsch.