dutch flowers/raw survival

mms

sometimes
and saw this boy's album promo for sale in sister ray's in berwick st for £8.95 - someone call his label and get them in trouble please. I don't like this guy's stuff but I know you lot love him off and I hate that selling promo s*** so inform them like...
yeah thats sketchy behaviour selling promos without permission.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Summer Dreams is also fab - love it love it love it - another great direction for dubstep that only Skream could do and isn't it fab that he's showcasing a jazz funk sound in dubstep :)

mms

sometimes
Summer Dreams is also fab - love it love it love it - another great direction for dubstep that only Skream could do and isn't it fab that he's showcasing a jazz funk sound in dubstep :)

are you sure about that?
it's horrible, sort of thin jazzish chords over thin basic two-step drums with nasty corny trumpet solo over the top. It's like music created specifically for trendy cookery programmes, totally unlistenable.
fat larry's skank and comb 60 by benga showcase jazz funk influences in a far superior way without being horrible cakey blandness.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Dutch flowers is wicked...I love the bounce, will be a great tune for breaking the half-step monotony in sets.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Oh, they're good, and darker, but I love the neon plasticity of Skream's take on it, as has been discussed on here many times before, for me it lends the music that surface / depth interplay that just dazzles me. With both Dutch Flowers and Summer Dreams, as soon as I heard them they just siezed my imagination. They're just fantastic!

Mind you I thoroughly enjoy Skream's take on digidub, the more he does in that vein the more I like it, and he's playing some corking old Iration Steppas gear on his radio show. I think he really twists and swings the format.

tate

Brown Sugar
fat larry's skank and comb 60 by benga showcase jazz funk influences in a far superior way without being horrible cakey blandness.
Nice point, mms. By the way, are you referring to the Benga tune "Killers About" on the flip of comb 60 by any chance? If so, I love that tune, the glossy keys are just a tiny bit reminiscent of late period miles, a track so well engineered that it practically sparkles even on a small system (I play it out almost every week). Incidentally, Comb 60 (the one with the strings) is on 2stepfan's new mix, I see.

viktorvaughn

Oh, they're good, and darker, but I love the neon plasticity of Skream's take on it, as has been discussed on here many times before, for me it lends the music that surface / depth interplay that just dazzles me. With both Dutch Flowers and Summer Dreams, as soon as I heard them they just siezed my imagination. They're just fantastic!

Mind you I thoroughly enjoy Skream's take on digidub, the more he does in that vein the more I like it, and he's playing some corking old Iration Steppas gear on his radio show. I think he really twists and swings the format.

I first heard Dutch Flowerz at 'Noir' in Bristol earlier this year when Omen i think dropped it and it was awesome.

The high end whine was tweaked right up to it being almost painfully piercing, and with the candyish, merry-go-round style beats under it was just sick. I like to turn the treble right up when im playing it to try and convey that feeling.

mms

sometimes
Nice point, mms. By the way, are you referring to the Benga tune "Killers About" on the flip of comb 60 by any chance? If so, I love that tune, the glossy keys are just a tiny bit reminiscent of late period miles, a track so well engineered that it practically sparkles even on a small system (I play it out almost every week). Incidentally, Comb 60 (the one with the strings) is on 2stepfan's new mix, I see.

yes ackturely you're right that's that one :)

mms

sometimes

for me they just seem sketchy and unfinished often, that's one of the problems with the album, tracks don't seem certain enough of being sketches, but dutch flowers works as it's speedy and has such a lovely warm melody. summer dreams just sounds like the kind of music my girlfriend had to describe when she worked in a music library cataloguing music for ads.
Compared to kode 9's record which has been a good two years in the making and thought through as an album rather than a collection of songs to album length and structure demands, it looks workman-like. And i love skreamz stuff and the neon plasticity etc, the garish possibilities..

Does anyone know why Benga seemingly dissappeared while Skream was making his name?

I heard he fried his hard drive and lost all his tunes so had to start from scratch again where as Skream from what I've read has oodles of the stuff going back years from which to cannibalise and reinterpret. If true, it appears to have made Benga all the better for it cos compared to the early big apple stuff his musicality is now so much more pronounced. It is to be expected though as both those lads have a whole lot in front of them and a good deal behind them so I expect it to be a pleasure watching them develop. Hope they don't disappoint.

viktorvaughn

I heard he fried his hard drive and lost all his tunes so had to start from scratch again where as Skream from what I've read has oodles of the stuff going back years from which to cannibalise and reinterpret. If true, it appears to have made Benga all the better for it cos compared to the early big apple stuff his musicality is now so much more pronounced. It is to be expected though as both those lads have a whole lot in front of them and a good deal behind them so I expect it to be a pleasure watching them develop. Hope they don't disappoint.
They are both crazily young too!

elgato

I just dont know
Does anyone know why Benga seemingly dissappeared while Skream was making his name?

if memory serves correctly i believe i read that he took time out to study some musical theory and work on studio engineering with arthur smith (aka artwork, half of menta, half of dnd, grain etc), but i dont know about this hard drive failure perhaps that gave him the motivation to embark on such a move. i think it was a good one!

swears

preppy-kei
I'd like to see Benga and Skream develop that dancefloor bangers type of sound they had on tracks like Star Wars and Acid People. I'm not really into the whole live instrument type sounds they're using at the mo'.

elgato

I just dont know
the whole ep?! i love that one, skunk step and who are those guys in particular... massive tunes

to me some of what benga does now is an extention of that sound, killas about being the most obvious example, but clearly an artist is going to want to move into melodic territory, or work more with atmosphere

whats really interesting is on that skream aug 2004 mix there are early versions of his ital tunes, and it really bridges the gap between the big apple sound and what was to come, you can hear the metamorphosis occuring

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
A couple of tracks of the album are good- Tortured Soul is great, fr'instance. I think the Warrior Queen track is pretty strong. I think Dutch Flowers is deeply twee though.

The album is a bit weak elsewhere, but that's a bit like a lot of drum and bass and techno albums. There's good and bad stuff there.