sadmanbarty

"What's your hobby? "Music," I mumbled groggily. "What's your favourite kind of music?," he asked. "Jungle".

that's the right answer. human's can apparently survive on just potatoes and milk; we can get all the nutrients we need. jungle's the musical equivalent. everything you could want from music is offered somewhere in jungle. i don't think that's really true of any other type of music. 70's miles maybe. i'm sure someone would say krautrock, but as we all know krautrock is music for boring people to pretend they're cleaver to.

luka

and at least someones posted something and tried to make something happen ive been getting well bored.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the problem with can, who i like, broadly speaking, is the stupid hippy singing

well fortunately for you there's all those wonderful endless hypnotic instrumental sections

personally I'm whatever on Damo Suzuki - bit too whimsical for me, made languages etc - but I don't mind him

my favorite Can is def Mooney era Can tho. we've discussed this on here b4. at my core I'm more Head Heritage than Dissensus when it comes to guitars.

luka

youre very head heritige. ive got compendium and everytime i let myself be seduced by copes enthusaism and look a record up on youtube its always the worst thing ive ever heard in my whole life. he does rate electric miles though. its not all bad.

padraig (u.s.)

also have to credit Barty for that setup. totally nonchalant dismissal of a huge, vastly important body of music with an unnecessary comparison to jungle? Classic dissensus vibes.

padraig (u.s.)

everytime i let myself be seduced by copes enthusaism and look a record up on youtube its always the worst thing ive ever heard
his taste isn't impeccable. he's into some pretty mediocre hard rock, the whole rock n roll shamanism angle is kinda cringe, dance music is well outside his purview, etc

otoh, he was one of the few people who always kept the krautrock torch alive, even when it was super uncool, as well as Japanese heavy/avant rock etc.

if you skim his album of the month reviews, at least 80% if not more is fucking great

he's really good at what he's into, the intersection heavy + avant in guitar music

also he's a Henry Flynt fan, which is enough to win me over regardless of anything else

padraig (u.s.)

some of that amon duul stuff. not very cosmic.
well, not all krautrock is great. there's so much of it, some is actually boring prog, folk, mediocre hard rock that gets lumped in with krautrock proper

he's really into those Cosmic Jokers records which are pretty bad.

otoh most of his kraut top 50 is amazing

it's received wisdom now to say Can, Faust, Neu!, Ash Ra Tempel, Cluster etc are some of the greatest bands ever but I don't think it was when he wrote it

luka

i got his krautrock sampler out stratford library as a teenager. not knocking it. i like cope as a character and im very glad he exists. taking so much acid you think youre a shopping centre and all that. so long as no one makes me listen to his music or the hard rock records he likes.

padraig (u.s.)

he definitely turned me on to some amazing records. his writing on the Japanese avant rock scene is even better than the krautrock. less fanboy, more scholarly.

Flower Travellin' Band, Taj Mahal Travellers, Les Rallizes Desnudes, Speed Glue + Shinki, Magical Power Mako, all the avant theater rock stuff

luka

anything that starts smelling of leather trousers is just a no go zone for me. except the doors. simon reynolds favourite band incidentally. maybe cos its brown leather it fits into a different category.

padraig (u.s.)

so long as no one makes me listen to his music or the hard rock records he likes
oh yeah I don't want to listen to his actual records either

his hard rock taste is mostly excellent but I realize that's not your thing, or most people's here

you might like the weird protopunk side of things - Electric Eels, Simply Saucer, etc