padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
except the doors. simon reynolds favourite band incidentally
huh. I fucking hate The Doors. not as much as I hate The Eagles, admittedly, but still.

kinda surprised you like them, being into poetry + all. Jim Morrison is one of the worst poets ever. endless sophmoric teenage angst bullshit.

maybe they're more palatable to foreigners.

sadmanbarty

and at least someones posted something and tried to make something happen ive been getting well bored.

i was in estonia (whihc is why i didn't see if you were about on friday by the way). i've returned so i can now continue to usher in the silver age of dissensus. let me just finish cleaning the kitchen, then i'll post a rap thing that has a 35% chance of going somewhere.

luka

the ability to fully occupy the pose is very rare. the french do it naturally. the english almost impossible.

luka

most of the stuff the doors (reynolds favourite band of all time) do is unbeleiveably bad. but some of it really lifts off. light my fire, the end, riders on the storm, break on through. thats about it.

luka

iggy pop idolised jim morrison and wanted to be him and modelled his vocal style after him. wasnt half the singer morrison was though (we've been through this before)

luka

great singer. had soem good lines too mixed in with the bad ones. i found an island in your arms. that's a nice one. the crystal ship is being raised. that's a bad one. wheat with the chaff.

padraig (u.s.)

Five to One is alright. I guess I can hear an argument for The End, even it's so, so over-done as a Vietnam era signifier at this point.

But, L.A. Woman? Hello I Love You, Love Street, People Are Strange, etc? Light My goddamn Fire?

Please explain to me how any of that isn't absolutely fucking terrible. I don't think even blissblogger could make a halfway convincing argument.

padraig (u.s.)

I am well aware of Iggy's Jim Morrison fandom, also.

the difference is Jim Morrison was a terrible poet trying really hard to be a poet. Iggy was a weirdo who accidentally great timeless stupid poetry.

the first Stooges LP is a Doors LP in the sense if you stripped away Manzarek + the all the dumb bad jazz etc wannabe + just left the raw protopunk side

i.e. Break On Through -> 1969/I Wanna Be Your Dog -> protopunk

luka

lol, I'm pretty sure the doors aren't his favourite band.

cant find the post where we says they are the best band of all time but

retro-feeling

Mark Stewart, Learning to Cope with Cowardice (On U)
Various, On U Sound Crash: Slash & Mix by Adrian Sherwood
And I wasn’t especially an On U fan at the time but this mix, crushing something like 96 tunes into an hour, makes me toy with the thought that I might have missed something.

ESG, Come Away with ESG (Soul Jazz)

Desmond Leslie, Music of the Future (Trunk)

The Doors, Perception (the 40th anniversary collection)
Glooooooorious

padraig (u.s.)

The Doors admittedly would be less insufferable if it wasn't for the stupid Jim Morrison cult, on college dorm rooms w/Hendrix + Marley, etc

the Oliver Stone movie didn't do him any favors either