Borat

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
According to my friend's jewish mother, who was not offended, the "Kazakh" language Borat and his producer speak is actually Hebrew. Make of that what you will...

You're aware Sasha Baron Cohen is Jewish, right? Not that you'd ever guess from his name... :)

dHarry

^ are those two clips really as funny as it gets? getting a guy to say "cheese" 17 times with a straight face, and an erection and request for a handjob from a masseur; funny guy
:rolleyes:

N

nomadologist

Some new info on why humans laugh from a evolutionary biological perspective with some (a lot of) journalism thrown in:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/science/13tier.html?em&ex=1174017600&en=d1c78eb0fbf58445&ei=5087

Occasionally we’re surprised into laughing at something funny, but most laughter has little to do with humor. It’s an instinctual survival tool for social animals, not an intellectual response to wit. It’s not about getting the joke. It’s about getting along.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Yeah, it's very noticeable with stand-up comedians. Mostly they are not funny at all. The first few minutes you watch them there's barely a smile but as you relax and the audience laughter filters in, you fall into a kind of trance almost and start laughing at nearly everything they say.

D84

Ah geez... :rolleyes:

This is like saying people only like music so that they can get along... Oh and people only like going to clubs/parties to fall into a trance to the whatever the DJ is playing regardless of content.

OK maybe that's true for some people but come on... How many ways can you say: OVER GENERALISATION?

Most stand up comedians are not funny. THE END. Some are very funny...

I will not be drawn into this clapped out thread any further. :cool:

edit: nb. not shouting - just emphasizing

Last edited:

sufi

lala
probly deserves it's own thread
way better than borat :D:

Craig Reucassel interviews comedy genius Sacha Baron Cohen in character as his latest creation: climate skeptic Lord Christopher Monckton.

rubberdingyrapids

the dictator is out this week. trailer looks unbelievably bad but reviewers seem to like it. but they would wouldnt they. no reviewers seem to have said much about its cultural stereotyping, which is predictable as film critics are probably too lazy/scared to go that far, and if you look at which comments on review of the film on the guardian site got the most 'likes', its the one which says 'if an arab comedian did a film about israel, no one would complain'. anyway, i do find cohen funny (sometimes). i just dont think hes as clever as people like to make out (the easy way out for the cultured critic to feel good about crass humor). ok, sometimes he can be, but for the most part, its just broad humour, playing on ethnic/cultural stereotypes. im not saying arabs/muslims shouldnt be able to laugh at themselves, im just a bit sceptical about a film that seems to lazily reinforce the same old status quo. he does hits his targets cleverly sometimes but bruno was basically 'HA gays are FUNNY!', borat was 'eastern europeans are stupid arent they?!' and the dictator looks like its basically going to run with the idea that 'LOL arabs are backward!' i did wonder if its slightly in bad taste for a jewish comedian to do a film about the arab world but thats probably a bit loaded. though ok, i admit, i am still a bit unsure about that. though mainly as i dont know much about SBC's politics. though the main constant in all his work right from ali g is a sort of smug sneer at his characters (which not once as it happens have been jewish, theyve been british pakistani, eastern european, austrian and now arabic) which makes me suspect he is probably a bit of a cunt.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
'LOL arabs are backward!'

But he's not playing "an Arab" (i.e. any old Arab), is he? He's playing an Arab dictator. Surely it's not controversial to say there have been, and still are, some pretty eccentric/mental Arab dictators?

Bruno looked a bit tiresome so I didn't bother seeing it but this might be worth seeing, I think.

...makes me suspect he is probably a bit of a cunt.

Well, maybe. But it's never been a prerequisite for someone to be a "nice guy" in order to be funny. I expect Chris Morris might not be a terribly "nice" person to actually know - doesn't stop him making great programmes and films (c.f. your username). Actually SBC/Morris is an interesting comparison...SBC goes more for the toe-curling "OMG I can't believe he's actually doing/saying that!" effect while Morris is a sharper satirist who also sails close to the wind in terms of taste but that's not his whole schtick.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

sure, and dictators are pretty amusing (as long as we dont have to live under them) characters, perfect for sending up. but my feeling about this film is that it will involve a fair few dictator jokes (i did laugh at the racing scene in the trailer where he shoots the other runners), but more than a few will be about arabs/arabic culture.

cohen seems somewhere between chris morris and ricky gervais i think.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
cohen seems somewhere between chris morris and ricky gervais i think.

Oof! I like to think Cohen is closer to Morris than he is to Gervais. The latter is actually just a cunt, and not even a funny one these days. "Lol, spastics!" - haha, yeah nice one Ricky, you tell 'em. It's about time someone put these uppity retards in their place.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Didn't Gervais vacate the space left by Sacha on that dreadful 10 'o' Clock Show , the former host of which now appears on the Sky News breakfast sofa between James Whale and that exquisite woman with a sting ray-like face who won The Apprentice once. All of the people involved in all of these things are bastards, apart from The Apprentice woman and Isla Fisher.

But the thing that struck me most about Borat was how polite Americans, in general, are.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Some friends of mine once saw him at a night club "dancing like a dad at a wedding", I'm reliably informed.

I think SBC and Gervais were on the 11 O'Clock show at the same time. They were the only good things on it, the rest was a toe-curlingly awful attempt at something vaguely in the same vein as the (superb) Friday/Saturday Night Armistice.

I quite liked The Office too, but I've since come to realize that David Brent is just Gervais playing a less intelligent version of himself.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is nothing to do with this thread but Morris fans should check out his Radio 1 shows from the mid 90s if they haven't already, they're an absolute delight.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
though the main constant in all his work right from ali g is a sort of smug sneer at his characters (which not once as it happens have been jewish

OTOH, I can see why SBC would want to avoid this - he thrives on outrage and novelty and a Jewish comedian doing jokes (however transgressive) about being Jewish is hardly virgin territory. Jerry Sadowitz has been doing Holocaust jokes since long before Ali G ever existed.

(Omid Djalili playing Netanyahu - now that might have some mileage.)

Last edited: