john harris is an arse (revisited)

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Morley and Harris had a big bust up over U2's last album on Newsnight Review, but to be honest that was an example of Morley being an idiot, lauding it as he was. Harris tackled him on the lyrical shortcomings, amongst other things. Asides from that tho, Harris is pretty despicable, especially seemingly when he writes for the Guardian...

isn't it scary that Newsnight think's U2 are worth discussing? Harris continually pushes his agenda of 90s music >Last Party as if nothing much happened except Britpop.

swears

preppy-kei
I found his site very alarming for two reasons. Firstly, he is the same age as me.

Secondly, this is actually a very good article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1929928,00.html

Yeah, he makes some good points there. I can't imagine owning my own place, and I'm on a reasonable wage. You have a tiny percentage of city workers that are on silly money, and it's in their interest to keep people borrowing and spending to keep the economy "afloat". I still think he's a tit when it comes to music though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, he makes some good points there. I can't imagine owning my own place, and I'm on a reasonable wage. You have a tiny percentage of city workers that are on silly money, and it's in their interest to keep people borrowing and spending to keep the economy "afloat". I still think he's a tit when it comes to music though.

It's an excellent, common sense-based article -there is indeed a ridiculous London media-centric vision of how affluent people are, that ends up pushing up prices in every area of life - be that houses or CDs, restaurants or clothes - because idiots believe it. And it's fucking irritating and depressing.

Mind you, that 'reggae' article was appalling.

John Doe

It maybe time to shoot me right down but, to be honest, I recognise what the arse-tastic Harris is getting at with the reggae piece. When I went to university in the mid-80's I did notice that the public school educated/wealthy/middle class mates I made had an overwhelming preferance for reggae. It was like some badge they had to wear to broadcast their 'authenticity' or something. This is not to make a value judgement about the music, nor those middle class friends who liked it (and certainly not to impose some sort of dictum stating that they weren't allowed to like that music cos of their background, or that they should obliged to listen to white, rock etc) - just that, like Harris, I was really struck by what a thing it was amongst those from what I saw as a privileged background. There was whole snobbery too about how 'black' 'deep' 'authentic' etc the reggae they liked was.

Just a sorta phenonomena, is all.

Interesting to speculate what it was all about too...

mms

sometimes
Good lord, every word of that was absolutley irrelevant.
just a fucking idiot grumbling in a pub somewhere recorded to dictaphone and written down directly.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I think you should dispute what he is writing instead of just thrashing him in general. In my opinion, funk (and also James Brown, though I refrained from criticising him in the memorial thread out of tactfulness) is ridiculously overrated, most funk jams make me dizzy with indifference. Having said that, I will fiercely defend jazz-funk any day of the week.

Rachel Verinder

Good lord, every word of that was absolutley irrelevant.
just a fucking idiot grumbling in a pub somewhere recorded to dictaphone and written down directly.

Very likely the case. But why publish his incessant grumblings in a national newspaper (then again you could say that about all newspaper columnists)?

Amazing how far in the world of meritocratic journalism you can get when you shag a prominent Blairite politician* innit?

*allegedly

gumdrops

i saw him on newsnight and actually found myself agreeing with most of what he had to say (esp on borat and its racial stereotypes etc), despite what ive read from him. hes not that bad. edit - actually i just read the JB article. fuck him for saying funk is the worst thing ever, lol, although i do actually agree with him about a few things. still, despite some of the more unfortunate things funk brought aroun, saying its the worst genre ever is just stupid. like 70s rockers like led zep werent self indulgent. the 70s was all about self indulgence regardless of genre!

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
John Harris: and 2) as with so many things, [funk's] wholesale appropriation by a certain kind of white person.

The certain kind of white person who decides reggae is "irie" in middle age? i await the "actually i always liked funk" piece when John comes to his senses in his 60s.

gumdrops

cos it sounds horrible a lot of the time
not always
but it can often be as bad as horrifically corny and cheesy rawk guitar solos
just a lot of speed-slap-bass wankery
the fact a lot of bassists resort primarily to slapping when its their turn to solo at soul/R&B gigs as well is even worse (like hub of the roots - they have not one bassline in their music that has a slapped bassline but when its his time to solo, he thinks he must slap the strings)

D

dubversion

not a big fan of Harris, to be fair, but he was pretty much on the money in that piece.