john harris is an arse (revisited)

gumdrops

re: seinfeld

its quite fitting i think that amp fiddler has a song that sounds a lot like the seinfield theme, seeing as his music is just as corny. the worst thing about slap bass is that a lot of people/artists seem to think that and that alone is synonymous with funk.

Last edited:
Yeah that article about funk is totally cuntish but then the guardian's music coverage is always bigging up indie guitar music (my blithe ignorant term for all that stuff i don't like) and slagging dance music.

My main feeling is:
James Brown's music and other funky music has given pleasure and joy to millions.
And what have you done with your life apart from write a sneery ignorant newspaper column?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah that article about funk is totally cuntish but then the guardian's music coverage is always bigging up indie guitar music (my blithe ignorant term for all that stuff i don't like) and slagging dance music.
I've found the limited pop coverage in the saturday grauniad is often less shit than most broadsheet music journalism. As in, occasionallyt willing to slag off indie rock generally, and normally ready to slag off quite a lot of indie rock.

hucks

Your Message Here
I quite like his writing on politics- he's got quite a clear-eyed take on the collapse of New Labour, for instance. Well, compared to other journalists on that paper. And his piece on Kraftwerk a couple of weeks ago was really interesting, too.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I quite like his writing on politics- he's got quite a clear-eyed take on the collapse of New Labour, for instance. Well, compared to other journalists on that paper. And his piece on Kraftwerk a couple of weeks ago was really interesting, too.

No and no. He is an arse.

gumdrops

that piece wasnt that bad. too easy to dismiss it as fogeyism (though i was starting to eye roll at all the boring stuff about how rock is too decrepit etc, thats not a new development!). just not enough examples from modern press/papers to really make his point. just seemed like a big massive generalisation/lament/moan. was reading the savage/kureishi book of pop yesterday though and its weird how you did used to get all these big pieces on artists/subjects that you prob wouldnt get now in the popular press. although apparently q now runs more writerly pieces that are quite long etc. i wouldnt know though, cos i never read it (though i did used to in the early 90s - they seemed to cover a much wider range of stuff back then). maybe all a moot point though - the main thing he weirdly didnt even bother touching on was - duh - the fact that the music press is dying in general, regardless of how the musics consumed. that might have something to do with it!

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
that piece wasnt that bad. too easy to dismiss it as fogeyism (though i was starting to eye roll at all the boring stuff about how rock is too decrepit etc, thats not a new development!). just not enough examples from modern press/papers to really make his point. just seemed like a big massive generalisation/lament/moan. was reading the savage/kureishi book of pop yesterday though and its weird how you did used to get all these big pieces on artists/subjects that you prob wouldnt get now in the popular press. although apparently q now runs more writerly pieces that are quite long etc. i wouldnt know though, cos i never read it (though i did used to in the early 90s - they seemed to cover a much wider range of stuff back then). maybe all a moot point though - the main thing he weirdly didnt even bother touching on was - duh - the fact that the music press is dying in general, regardless of how the musics consumed. that might have something to do with it!

really for me it was just a big fucking dumb arse moans it was like reading someone droning on painfully.

gumdrops

i dont really like music crits that refer to pretty much all popular post-50s music as being 'rock' but harris is a proper meat and potatoes rock (well apart from his apparent like of kraftwerk, though thats not exactly unusual) guy. so most of the piece was just the usual 'werent bangs/marcus (who i know is really respected etc but i find a bit dull and long winded)/kent/nme etc great' thing. if he really did wanna make his case about modern music journalism being a bit shit he should have at least presented himself as someone who actually reads it these days. i find it weird that he criticises modern rock for being too nostalgic though when wasnt he a massive britpop fan?

mms

sometimes
i dont really like music crits that refer to pretty much all popular post-50s music as being 'rock' but harris is a proper meat and potatoes rock (well apart from his apparent like of kraftwerk, though thats not exactly unusual) guy. so most of the piece was just the usual 'werent bangs/marcus (who i know is really respected etc but i find a bit dull and long winded)/kent/nme etc great' thing. if he really did wanna make his case about modern music journalism being a bit shit he should have at least presented himself as someone who actually reads it these days. i find it weird that he criticises modern rock for being too nostalgic though when wasnt he a massive britpop fan?

he wrote a book on oasis, the most awful band ever.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah, I thought he had some alright points in his moan, seemed to be saying a lot of the same stuff that people around here say to be honest. Slating the NME, Q etc.

The main problem imo was that he didn't even talk about bloggers (a lot of whom are doing exactly what he seems to be complaining about noone doing) except for the rather unexpected shout out to K-Punk.