Robert Altman, RIP

luka

That's a good one but it's not his best. Too serious. People just like the Leonard Cohen song with the titles. After that who remembers anything
we were talking about cohen. i said i hate cohen but for some reason i enjoy it in this film called mccabe and mrs miller. i dont know why.

version

He went out with a lit joint in the corner of his mouth. It burnt his lip but luckily his soul had exited his body by that point

Apparently he was a terrible bully who loved to pick people apart for his own amusement. I was surprised to learn this as I'd always pictured him as an affable stoner grandpa.

• Sad
Reactions: sus

version

The Player and The Long Goodbye are good, also bits of M.A.S.H. although it's very dated and at its worst feels like a Carry On film.

sus

I think if you'd seen Brewster McCloud you wouldn't say that, you'd say, 'The Player was OK but overrated, a bit of Oscar bait, and The Long Goodbye is rather boring and generic, but wow Brewster McCloud, could that man direct movies'

sus

I'm assume here that you also have impeccable taste, and would recognize quality on sight, which isn't a sure thing tho

sus

Brewster,,,, I cant stop thinking about him. h e just wants to fly. all the seduxtrices of the world are keeping him down

kid charlemagne

have seen just 4 altman films (mccabe, nashville, long goodbye, and california split), and while theyre all great, for some reason none of them have really scratched the itch that they have for other people. need to give the player a go

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Love California Split. It's great.. Only suffers a bit due to George Segal not quite matching Gould's presence, even though he tries to and so it feels like it's got a limp at times. It's not terrible, but maybe someone else would have nailed it better. Powerful rollercoaster of emotions, and the oranges on an escalator line is an all timer.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Nashville, McCabe and Mrs Miller I love I mean you feel the cold

E Gould casting elsewhere has sardonic and goofy nature rather than a broody figure like Cassavetes, Thieves Like Us is a hoot too type of film you used to find playing on late night tv

i brush up on other directors more regularly but RA is missed, his analogue visions of America and Americans aren’t really possible any more, mainly from becoming extinct

Ian Scuffling

I love McCabe and Long Goodbye, to me the highest forms and most conscientious critiques of their respective genres. The scene with the lawyer in McCabe is a great bit.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Tempted to buy McCabe and Mrs miller on streaming

Two questions 1) is it good?
2) is it good when you're stoned?