Music in ten years time.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
But aren't we already in a situation that's much worse than that? i.e. imagine someone time traveling from 82 and it's hard to believe that they wouldn't be shocked by how old-fashioned so much of what is played on the radio sounds. Sure there was REO Speedwagon etc back then, but they didn't have the level of dominance that Indie has now achieved.

Compare 67-87 to 88-06, it's frightening. Perhaps a better question than 'what will be the next big thing?' is 'what was the LAST big thing?'

it's not that bad. plenty of great stuff is still happening, you just have to look for it. i think you should all cheer up.

Rachel Verinder

There's REO Speedwagon on the radio now - haven't you heard Westlife's version of "Keep On Loving You"?

Of course, thanks to Guilty Pleasures all the difficult stuff from the past will also be effortlessly ironed out so that the seventies will FOREVER be about ELO and Supertramp and never PiL or the Residents.

boomnoise

♫
why does everyone seem to be looking for a paradigm shift when in practice changes have taken place quite subtly.

the prospect of music in ten years time is an exciting one for me. totally unpredictable. i think we can safely assume that pop values will remain unchallenged as pop is tied up with a sensibility of what constitutes pop itself. but if you look towards innovation and where music is most interesting and not concerned with being popular, there are plenty of interesting sounds and people pushing things forward in interesting ways.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i dunno, PiL and the residents are revered enough to always be seen as an important part of that period. you never really see people seriously evaluating speedwagon and elo as "important", not even in uncut or mojo. in fact, PiL are totally canonical now (as they should be).

why does everyone seem to be looking for a paradigm shift when in practice changes have taken place quite subtly.

the prospect of music in ten years time is an exciting one for me. totally unpredictable. i think we can safely assume that pop values will remain unchallenged as pop is tied up with a sensibility of what constitutes pop itself. but if you look towards innovation and where music is most interesting and not concerned with being popular, there are plenty of interesting sounds and people pushing things forward in interesting ways.

but pop is always where music is at its most interesting. maybe things get pushed and developed on the fringes pretty often, but its when these are absorbed into the mainstream that they really do anything. i'm sure many here would argue, but generally i couldn't care less about music that isn't "concerned with being popular" and don't want to listen to it.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
hoping for a global economic crisis (that's what an american economic collapse will bring about) and climate change because they will bring forth new music.

there's a new idea

Wasn't the "alternative" rock boom of the early nineties fuelled by the recession at the time? That Kim Gordon quote comes to mind:
"A generation growing up into a world they can't afford." Or something simlar.

tatarsky

Yeah, a mate of mine has this pet theory that culture is inversely related to gdp growth. i think there's probably something in it. (He even tried creating his own index of culture, based upon his own taste in literature and attempted to corrolate with gdp...) You can't really deny that the misery of the 70s economic climate in the uk made for some great music. lots of youth unemployed > punk.

Although, i think hoping for some economic collapse as a stimulus to cultural revolution is a bit lame. It's the polar opposite of the idea that technology will save us from climate change and resource crisis, and we know how much you hate that, don't we gek?

Frankly, I'd rather see cultural revolution as a stimulus for economic collapse!

mms

sometimes
Music won't exist unless the industry changes, it's of so little value of anyone nowdays, now that information is practically steam. We're so far away from the post war generation of music attaching itself to youthful rebellion it's all changed. It will literally go back to the middle ages.

martin

----
By 2016, and following the Olympics bomb outrage and the flooding of Southwark, the capital will practically be a working class-free zone, with London proles displaced to areas such as Luton and Houghton Regis. As mainstream indie becomes blander and wimpier; as TV channels solely dedicated to compiling 'best of' lists crop up; as a nation's youth is reminded, at Bono's state funeral, to be grateful for the sacrifices that great man made for the starving millions (80% of whom will conveniently be long dead by this date), the children of these displaced malcontents will plot from the depths of South Bedfordshire, planning all-out war on the man-made abomination that their idiotic ancestors monikered "MUSIC"

As for other countries, couldn't tell you.

swears

preppy-kei
But aren't we already in a situation that's much worse than that? i.e. imagine someone time traveling from 82 and it's hard to believe that they wouldn't be shocked by how old-fashioned so much of what is played on the radio sounds. Sure there was REO Speedwagon etc back then, but they didn't have the level of dominance that Indie has now achieved.

Compare 67-87 to 88-06, it's frightening. Perhaps a better question than 'what will be the next big thing?' is 'what was the LAST big thing?'

Acid house and grunge gave pop a shot in the arm though didn't they? Something had to replace hair metal and electro-funk eventually. I think the real slow-down has been in the last three or four years. The last really interesting and popular "big thing" was probably Timbaland's string of futuristic R'n'B productions from One in a Million onwards.

Rambler

Awanturnik
Music won't exist unless the industry changes, it's of so little value of anyone nowdays, now that information is practically steam. We're so far away from the post war generation of music attaching itself to youthful rebellion it's all changed. It will literally go back to the middle ages.

I think that's the best answer, and I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing. The corporate music dinosaurs don't have much of a future beyond reissues and tried-and-trusted retreads. It's now relatively easy for musicians - like medieval troubadours - to be institutionally independent - writing, performing, publishing, promoting all on the fly and as they wish. (I realise this is an idealisation, but it's not far off.)

I've no idea what effect this will have on future musical trends (probably nothing significant) but if it creates stronger, more self-sufficient small local scenes then yay! I say. With the current ease of self-publication, production and promotion, plus an arrogant and increasingly irrelevant global music industry, music now has the potential to move the same way as food - local produce, etc, etc. This I reckon is good.

blunt

shot by both sides
But aren't we already in a situation that's much worse than that? i.e. imagine someone time traveling from 82 and it's hard to believe that they wouldn't be shocked by how old-fashioned so much of what is played on the radio sounds.

Well, of course, if you must load the argument by holding up what's played on the radio as in any way representative of what's going on, I'll have to agree. But if you were to point them in the direction of just some of the stuff that's available through other channels, I suspect they'd be pretty overwhelmed.

Whether they'd be overwhelmed in a good way (or bad) would have to depend on the individual concerned. But if they were in any way interested in music (as opposed to a scene), I imagine their brain would explode.

The idea that switching on the radio in 2016 and not being able to discern any difference from now...wow, that's pretty depressing.

Likewise, I suspect that the notion of someone turning on the radio in 2016 (in the sense that we do such a thing now) will seem pretty quaint. Rather like someone operating a wireless in 2006.

nomos

Administrator
or post modernity or whatever.
icon_lol.gif

jaxxalude

All I can say right now is that there was no shortage of people who claimed, back in the day, that rock 'n' roll was nothing more than sped-up R&B...

ramadanman

there was some guy at the turn of the 19th century who said something like

"everything that can be invented has been invented"

obviously he was talking rubbish.

gumdrops

if people dont see the point of buying recorded music, especially in a physical format, then im not sure what music will be like in ten years. apparently 2007 circa march/april is going to be full of new cutbacks and downsizing, something the industry has in many ways brought on itself, so its going to be interesting. i pity any small time pressing plant owners.

blunt

shot by both sides
there was some guy at the turn of the 19th century who said something like "everything that can be invented has been invented"

It's attributed to the US Patents Commissioner, but apparently it's not true.

But then, they would say that, wouldn't they? ;)

Guybrush

Dittohead
Whoever wished for world collapse was otm, that's the kind of grandiose gestures we need more of. It's all to the benefit of the good arts, isn't it?