Music in ten years time.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yes- global collapse, don't be afraid! ;)
The only utopias which remain in our limited imaginings are purely eschatological...
Music doesn't exist in a sealed vacuum packed space apart from everything else, it interacts very swiftly with the zeitgeist, that's one of the things which makes it worthy of analysis, ultimately. And the zeitgeist of the West, at least, is pretty dire at the moment, all sense of the possible systematically shut down, and hence, all sense of the possible in creative endeavour equally, only rupture, fundamental schism is capable of arresting this terminal decline...

mms

sometimes
if people dont see the point of buying recorded music, especially in a physical format, then im not sure what music will be like in ten years. apparently 2007 circa march/april is going to be full of new cutbacks and downsizing, something the industry has in many ways brought on itself, so its going to be interesting. i pity any small time pressing plant owners.

well i think the majors have been cutting back on creativity for about 5 years and the large indies have been calling the shots for a while now, but when it comes to purchasing power with the stores then thats what the majors have big style, the stores are fucked and have been very slow to develop or rationalise whats been happening. i really hope physical musical items are still about as mp3s and buying them arent much good for anyone at all, and a whole legacy and value to music and musicians is destroyed or lost.

DJ PIMP

Yes- global collapse, don't be afraid! ;)
The only utopias which remain in our limited imaginings are purely eschatological...
Music doesn't exist in a sealed vacuum packed space apart from everything else, it interacts very swiftly with the zeitgeist, that's one of the things which makes it worthy of analysis, ultimately.
Art presages social motion as much as it helps people define what is happening at a given point in time.

Not to get too new-agey, but the emergent utopia is one of balance?

i really hope physical musical items are still about as mp3s and buying them arent much good for anyone at all, and a whole legacy and value to music and musicians is destroyed or lost.
can you please expand on both those points?

How long before the majors stop pressing/marketing album length CD's ???

anyone want to hazard a guess ???

3 years max i reckon...

...in the meantime, I was thinking of a net cafe type shop with a row of listening posts and puter screens. You order a coffee, sit down, scroll through the genre downloads, pick and mix what you want, load it up on your personal player or send em to your home addy so they're waiting for you when you get home, get up pay and leave

no more racks of CD's or bins of vinyl but still reliant on the nowse of the shop staff to point you in the direction of music they know you'd like based on tastes you've logged and bought already...

swears

preppy-kei
I think people will continue to press up vinyl records, just to show a certain level of commitment and stand out from the deluge of digital music freely available.

DJ PIMP

yep, but thats like the indie band vinyl market - symbolic rather than having any real merit or advantage.

Guybrush

Dittohead
How long before the majors stop pressing/marketing album length CD's ???

anyone want to hazard a guess ???

3 years max i reckon...

...in the meantime, I was thinking of a net cafe type shop with a row of listening posts and puter screens. You order a coffee, sit down, scroll through the genre downloads, pick and mix what you want, load it up on your personal player or send em to your home addy so they're waiting for you when you get home, get up pay and leave

no more racks of CD's or bins of vinyl but still reliant on the nowse of the shop staff to point you in the direction of music they know you'd like based on tastes you've logged and bought already...
I'm totally with you on the imminent demise of the long-player, but I would add on-the-town music shopping to the death row, too. Why consult shop staff when there's a whole net out there (AMG, "smart" web-radio, message boards, etc.)?

^^^the human factor

lets say you're in town with a few minutes to spare. So you go to your regular music cafe, shoot the breeze with a real person, talk face to face about music and get some personal recommendations from someone who knows your taste in music and coffee...

;)

blunt

shot by both sides
..in the meantime, I was thinking of a net cafe type shop with a row of listening posts and puter screens. You order a coffee, sit down, scroll through the genre downloads, pick and mix what you want, load it up on your personal player or send em to your home addy so they're waiting for you when you get home, get up pay and leave

I think this is probably the single most insightful prognosis on the entire thread :)

Online behaviours will undoubtedly start to bleed offline as people accilimatise to the convenience that some online behaviours bring.

Some of these might be perceived of as negative; like, I don't imagine it will be too long before people can set their phone to alert them when someone they'd rather avoid is in their proximity, in much the same way as we might choose to hide our status from people in the Messenger environment.

But equally I can see positives. To be sure, the undisputed truth's notion of music bar is part online-offline bleed (real world corollary to a music forum), but also part continuity (fulfilling the role of the record shop), and part backlash (as people get sick of living a life of digital asceticism, watch something like High Fidelity and think: actually, that looks kinda cool...)

I don't think the market's quite right for something like this yet... but give it a few of years... I see a Dissensus Bar somewhere on a sidestreet in Deptford. Who's in? ;)

mms

sometimes
it would be a real shame if the album died, i'm gettting into no telly and listening to good lps from start to finish, and that space to listen to a selection of tracks ordered in the way an artist intended and representing a time in an artists life is invaluable i think for the life of an artist of any merit and the experience any listener gets from the artist would be hindered if there isn't any way to display a selection in this way.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I can't see the album dying. The majority of my friends aren't really into music beyond dancing in indie clubs but they still listen to full albums regularly.

I don't see why the age of digital has to be a signifier for the death of the album at all - if anything as internet connections become faster and more reliable, it'll become easier to download entire albums rather than just your favourite few tracks.

Would anyone here deny the importance of the album in genres that aren't run by DJs and vinyl singles?

gravious

The End of Novelty Manifesto

No Guilty Pleasure
No Authenticity
No New Things

What was/is "authenticity" though? Isn't it just reference to a past/present identity/discourse that now appears fixed, but was once as fluid and unstable as the new construction that seeks 'authentification' from it?

Surely most 'new' things contain many elements of 'old' things anyway, so will this really mean no new things?

swears

preppy-kei
It's weird now though, twenty-odd years ago you could point to electro and say "This is the future" or fifteen years ago you could have done that with rave, five or six years ago, IDM or 2step. And you would have been right in a way, because those things eventually filtered into mainstream pop culture whether as advert soundtracks, or crossover hits, or nicked to lend a bit of cred to a pop production.
The last record that really felt that way for me was Midnight Request Line. Over a year ago. So we're in this strange sort of dead-time now, a feeling that the present state of affairs will continue, business-as-usual style.

Oh yes, there will be new things. We just can't predict what they are, but more than likely they'll be made by machines...

...nanomachined botstep, indistinguishable and vastly superior to 'authentic' human creations ;)

swears

preppy-kei
...nanomachined botstep, indistinguishable and vastly superior to 'authentic' human creations ;)

That would be awesome, and perhaps backed up by some ED-209 style killer droids that could go around literally wiping out any of the remaining human musicians.
"Put down that acoustic guitar! You have twenty seconds to comply!"