No more fucking about. The jukebox thread.

swears

preppy-kei
All this Wyatting stuff is a bit childish, no?
"Oh look at me with my awesome avant-garde taste in music, hear Metal Machine Music and weep, plebs!"

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Where are these infinite MP3 Wyattable jukeboxes tho?

To be honest I'd feel like a shit if I used music that I loved to piss people off. Just a waste, really...

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
oh no i absolutely agree, it is a waste of time if one was putting the tunes on purely to annoy but i just find the thought quite amusing really. i've never encountered one of those mp3 jukeboxes. ..

"Oh look at me with my awesome avant-garde taste in music, hear Metal Machine Music and weep, plebs!" hahaaa.

i think the average wire reader would clear out a pub in 15 minutes flat...

swears

preppy-kei
Must say though, The Impostume's fiction is always entertaining. That "Mel Gibson fucks a Tramp" post was hilarious.

petergunn

plywood violin
my question is, are major labels still making jukebox 7"s?

at least in the US, they were as recently as 5 years ago...

STN

sou'wester
Peter Gunn - yes they are. You can get repressed Tamla Motown and Stooges 7"s (to name two examples - I'm sure there's more on offer) with the big old hole in the middle.

mos dan

fact music
i've lived in london for almost all of my life and can't name a single decent jukebox.

there's a great one in the heart and hand in brighton - mostly 60s/70s soul but not in an earnest way - it is actually just a pretty old jukebox.

where is 'downtown beirut'? (the bar?) is it in nyc? fantastic name for a bar. better than this 'frog and forget-me-not' bollocks that passes for bar names in london in the last decade or two. whatever happened to 'the king's head' et al?

i've lived in london for almost all of my life and can't name a single decent jukebox.

That's bad news.

This whole jukebox thing appears to remain one of the web's few blindspots. There are, for example, dozens of sites dealing with the minutiae of the capital's fried breakfasts.

But, THERE HAS BEEN A BREAKTHROUGH... http://www.london-drinking.com/636.htm

Swimmer at the Grafton Arms
"Excellent place that I visit on every trip to Town. The jukebox is great..."

"The atmosphere is also great with the regulars and staff plus a brilliant (and sometimes free) jukebox to keep you entertained."

"the best juke-box I've ever seen (and it's free)"

You get the picture. Unfortunately, that's not a part of London I like going to.

Anyone been?

(Apologies for the thread title by the way. I've tried to alter it, tone it down a bit, but the system won't cooperate)

Last edited:

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
The jukebox and PA in my local in Brooklyn is owned by a company that supplies a wide range of gaming and coin operated equipment to bars around the city. They split the money with the bar, but control what music goes on the jukebox itself. It's not bad stuff - the jukebox guys seem to know their business and do a reasonable job of matching music selection to bar - but it is fairly predictable (Pixies, Clash, Tom Waits, Ramones, Johnny Cash). Various requests (from patrons, bartenders, and owners alike) for specific CDs be added or removed rarely seem to be met*. I think this is probably the situation faced by a lot of smaller bars in NYC since its a great way to get music into the bar without having to pay anything. But it also probably explains why there are so few truly amazing jukeboxes with non-generic selections.

The only jukebox I'll regularly put money into is the one in Max Fish, mainly 'cause it's got a load of Butthole Surfers and Goblin on (it's owned by the bar and stocked by the bartenders with burned CDs).

* Now that I think about it, all four owners agreed on a 'no Doors' music policy when they opened the bar, so there is nothing by The Doors on there. Also, this guy from Liverpool who becomes increasingly obsessed with George Jones the drunker he gets successfully campaigned over several months to have 'The Possum's' greatest hits added to the selection.

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Bradley's Spanish Bar near Tootenham Court Rd/Oxford St has a good vinyl jukebox
and plenty of "atmosphere" (ie toilets have not been washed since the '60s).

414.jpg

update: Bradley's is second on this "London jukebox pub" list from TimeOut
(which might mean nothing, but at least it could be a good starting point)

Last edited:

gabriel

The Heatwave
there's a house on colebrooke row in islington that's completely full of old jukeboxes. it's an old georgian house and the front room goes through to a back room and the only thing that's in them is jukeboxes. click here to see where it is. i dunno if it's like a showroom or if the owner sells them or just collects them, but it's pretty cool

the only jukeboxes i can remember using in england are in the Cadbury House in Bristol and the White Horse in Clun, Shropshire. can't think of any in london at all

STN

sou'wester
The one in the Cadbury House in Bristol (the old 45 one with things like 'Boy From New York City' by the Darts on it) was sadly cast out to make way for a shit CD one with Sterephonics and 100% Summer Reggae on it. That pub has gone downhill.

STN

sou'wester
Oh yeah - the Crobar near Foyles has a wicked one. Van Halen, Danzig, Kyuss and other metallic treats.

gabriel

The Heatwave
The one in the Cadbury House in Bristol (the old 45 one with things like 'Boy From New York City' by the Darts on it) was sadly cast out to make way for a shit CD one with Sterephonics and 100% Summer Reggae on it. That pub has gone downhill.

i don't think i ever knew the 7" one - was that before my time? i seem to remember putting lots of stuff from the stone roses on there, which is always good

O

Omaar

Bradley's Spanish Bar near Tootenham Court Rd/Oxford St has a good vinyl jukebox
and plenty of "atmosphere" (ie toilets have not been washed since the '60s).

414.jpg

update: Bradley's is second on this "London jukebox pub" list from TimeOut
(which might mean nothing, but at least it could be a good starting point)

Yeah, that was the first place that sprang to mind for me - that jukebox introduced me to 'Hurt so good' too (Not Jon Mellencamp, Susan Cadogan)

STN

sou'wester
i don't think i ever knew the 7" one - was that before my time? i seem to remember putting lots of stuff from the stone roses on there, which is always good

No, I think you must have been going there when the 7" one was in there - they got rid of it fairly late on. The 7" one did have Fool's Gold/What the World is Waiting for on it - maybe you put them on.

There used to be this really shitty (but in a nice way) pub in Twickenham where the jukebox was so antiquated it would accept a new five-pence peice as though it were a pound, so you got 7 plays for 5p. It was a good (ish) selection too - Pistols, Stones, Doors etc etc. It was called the Albany. Of course it's now a gastropub. I'm barred anyway.

DWD

The Three Compasses on Hornsey High Street has an mp3 jukebox. Despite being open to the kind of "flee my music" abuse described upthread, in practice there appears to be a kind of unspoken agreement not to put anything too objectionable on. People seem to respect its power and try to use it for good.

The wildest thing I ever subjected the other patrons to was a 13th Floor Elevators track.

The Compasses also has a couple of darts boards, a decent range of bitter and is far enough from Crouch End to be populated by friendly locals, hard drinkers, and darts enthusiasts only.