No more fucking about. The jukebox thread.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Only one I know of at all in London is at the Hope & Anchor near Highbury & Islington stn. Most off-kilter thing I could find to play at that ex-punk pub was 'Move Your Body' by Marshall Jefferson. Too quiet though to cause any reaction... :slanted:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"There used to be this really shitty (but in a nice way) pub in Twickenham where the jukebox was so antiquated it would accept a new five-pence peice as though it were a pound, so you got 7 plays for 5p. It was a good (ish) selection too - Pistols, Stones, Doors etc etc. It was called the Albany. Of course it's now a gastropub. I'm barred anyway."
For ripping off the jukebox with 5ps perhaps?
As a child I remember my brother getting a 10 Franc piece instead of a pound coin in his change once when the (f)unfair came to town. When he realised what had happened, instead of cursing his luck the little bast remembered that our parents had just been to France and saw it as an opportunity; he went home and got a load of unused 10 F pieces and happily spent them at the fair all evening. He planned to try it again the next day but all the fair-folk were carefully scanning every single transaction for French money.

Lichen

A good UK jukebox should also have The Jam on it IMHO.

The Sun Inn in Frome, Somerset has all the trappings of a good Camden pub c1987, only more fighting, including plenty of punk standards on the 'box.

swears

preppy-kei
For ripping off the jukebox with 5ps perhaps?
As a child I remember my brother getting a 10 Franc piece instead of a pound coin in his change once when the (f)unfair came to town. When he realised what had happened, instead of cursing his luck the little bast remembered that our parents had just been to France and saw it as an opportunity; he went home and got a load of unused 10 F pieces and happily spent them at the fair all evening. He planned to try it again the next day but all the fair-folk were carefully scanning every single transaction for French money.

I remember about ten years back me and my pals realised that if you very carefully glued two one pence pieces together, certain older vending machines would accept them as a pound. So you'd put in your fake quid, get something for 10p and pocket the change. The ultimate wimp crime.

I heard in a uni history lecture about how kids in the early 20th century would take a small coin (for the sake of argument say it was a 5p) and place it on a train track to squash it to 10p size. This would fool the gas meter at home. It was a slow learning process to get the trick right though. The coin would warp to different shapes depending on how fast the train went. So you would have to put the coin on the right part of the track, usually when the train was slowing down for a station. when the right part of the track was found they would mark the rail so they could find it again. Apparrently this was a common trick used to get more central heating.

tom pr

Oh yeah - the Crobar near Foyles has a wicked one. Van Halen, Danzig, Kyuss and other metallic treats.
The Crobar was the first pub I thought of. The best bit is once you've whacked something on (we always used to go for Kyuss and think we were right bloody cool because of it) there's always at least one leather-clad bald bloke glaring around trying to clock the newbie who's broken the stream of Sabbath, Slayer and Metallica.

tom pr

A guy I know also said he went in there when he was younger and got sexually harassed by the bassist from the Business, who was telling my mate to pull his trousers down for him and stuff. But that may have been a case of mistaken identity. Or a lie.

zhao

there are no accidents
kids in the early 20th century would take a small coin (for the sake of argument say it was a 5p) and place it on a train track to squash it to 10p size.

there is an easy trick to get maximum time on US parking meters with 1 penny: put it under your foot and scrape it a little bit thinner, and then sand down one edge, so that it fits into the dime slot, and voila. i used to do this all the time. the smart thing would be to prepare a bunch of these at home and take them with you in your car.

don't think it works with the new digital read-out ones though -- those you can just smash with a hammer.