hucks

Your Message Here
good article from about two years ago, and i tend to agree with (a) the choices, (b) certain deliberate omissions, (c) certain runners-up.

The winner is undoubtedly right.

1 Norwich Every time you think this place can't get better for the real ale drinker, another multi-handpumped free house opens up. The choice is astonishing and quality is generally high. The city also boasts what many would agree is the best real ale pub in the country - the Fat Cat, twice CAMRA's national pub of the year.

Every time I go home it annoys me a little that the beers are so much better in the average boozer there than any pub I know here. Even the pub I go to before football, which I only go to because it's near the station and the ground, serves at least three really good local ales.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Luka, beer writer Roger Protz once said that the Anchor in Faversham is one of his twenty-five top pubs ("17th-century pub by the quayside serving beer from local Shepherd Neame brewery.")

The winner is undoubtedly right.

yeah Norwich is definitely the best real ale city on earth. i've only been a few times but i have been astounded.

in terms of the rest of that list i've never been Stamford or Lewes (though i hear good things about the latter), so i think i'd drop those two smaller towns in favour of their Cambridge and perhaps Chester, which has a very similar vibe to York. they call the bigger provincial cities right, e.g. Cardiff and Brum have some corking pubs but neither is a patch on Mcr or the Pool. Stratford in Warwickshire has some great boozers.

for the record, the best pub i've ever been in is probably the Lord Nelson in Burnham Thorpe, near Kings Lynn. i think the Champion of the Thames in Cambridge may be the best urban one i know (though it is a Greene King tie). Mcr is the best British city for breweries by a country mile, no doubt.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
speaking of Shepherd Neame, the White Horse and Bower on the Horseferry Road near Channel 4 is a tie of theirs, and i once spent a fine night rinsing Master Brew, Bishops Finger and Spitfire in there (the evening Spurs beat Burnley in the League Cup), although it did mean i nearly missed a connecting flight at Heathrow the next morning..

(adding that the hotel failed in its alarm call and the alarm clock also died is nearer the truth, but is less good as a story. oh and i was with a couple of local mates, i don't spend ALL night in strange metropolitan pubs on my jack.)

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Every time I go home it annoys me a little that the beers are so much better in the average boozer there than any pub I know here. Even the pub I go to before football, which I only go to because it's near the station and the ground, serves at least three really good local ales.
For its size, london's has very few really good pubs imo.

Norwich, Cambridge (mainly for the south east corner) and Derby would be well up my list. Although a lot of my favorite pubs are rural, mainly due to my rambling habit...

luka

central london is the pit of hell. theres nothing good there. plenty of good pubs in greater london, particularly if you dont mind drinking continental lager.

viktorvaughn

central london is the pit of hell. theres nothing good there. plenty of good pubs in greater london, particularly if you dont mind drinking continental lager.

yeah, working there is starting to grate, popping out to tescos on the strand to buy some bread for lunch and there always seems to be a posse of 35 italian or french teenagers on a school trip in yr way...

the best places for film are in central tho - bfi, ica

the pubs there are horrible busy

i used to enjoy working in kentish town, nice quieter vibe

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
any thoughts on shepard neame?

Bishop's Finger and 1698 are good. Beers tend to be a bit flat when served draught, though. Spitfire used to be a great bottled beer when it was bottle-conditioned, but hasn't been for yeeeaars.

Why the sudden interest, though? I thought you couldn't stand English beer?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
the following op-ed is a couple of months old and i don't know what's happened with the issues raised since July, but is worth quoting in full.

Fair Pint campaigners head for Europe and threaten to undermine craft brewers' pubs

Forgive them, Lord, for they know not what they do, writes Roger Protz. Publicans leading the Fair Pint campaign have joined forces with the Federation of Small Businesses and the GMB trade union to take their campaign against the tied-house system to the European parliament. They are in danger of opening a Pandora's Box that could spell ruin for Britain's regional and smaller craft breweries for whom the tie is their lifeline.

The justifiable complaints against the behaviour of the giant pubcos, which force heavily discounted lagers and keg beers on their tenants and licensees, restricting choice for consumers, is in danger of getting lost in a general review of the tie by the European Commission. If the tie were to be banned in Britain, scores of independent brewers -- who mainly produce cask beer -- would consider the game was not worth the candle and get out of brewing.
Fair Pint, FSB and GMB will focus on the EU's Directorate General for Competition, which will decide whether to renew a series of opt-outs -- known as block exemptions -- from European competition law. The British tied-house system has been reviewed a number of times by the directorate and given an exemption but there is always the danger the exemption could be lifted. The current exemption expires in 2010.

Heading For Brussels
The campaigners are heading for Brussels with the wind in the sales following a damning report on the behaviour of the pubcos by parliament's Business & Enterprise Committee. But a press statement by Fair Pint shows it does not distinguish between the behaviour of the pubcos and independent brewers. Fair Pint says: "It's an opportunity for licensees in the UK to make a strong case to the European Commission as to why the tie in the UK should not be allowed to continue. The European Commission has received complaints in the past about the situation in the UK and we expect this review will not simply be rubber-stamped, as perhaps some pubco and brewery executives hope or expect."

Note that the statement says "pubco and brewery executives".

Clearly Fair Pint does not distinguish between the likes of Punch and Enterprise Inns and independent breweries. With the exception of Heineken's Scottish & Newcastle subsidiary, the global brewers operating in Britain do not operate tied estates. It's the likes of Robinsons, Holts, Hydes and JW Lees, along with many smaller craft brewers who have begun building small tied estates, who would be hit hardest by a ban on the tie. Without the tie, their pubs would be swamped by heavily-discounted lagers and keg beers. Cask beer would be driven from the bar tops at the very time it's enjoying a revival.

Speaking at his annual meeting, Fuller's chairman Michael Turner hit out at the Fair Pint tactics. He said it could lead to disaster. It had taken the pub trade many years to recover from the ill-thought-out government Beer Orders of the early 1990s, he added, which wanted to turn thousands of pubs into free houses, and action by the EU could have a similar result.

A key question: why is the GMB union getting into bed with free marketeers such as Fair Pint and the FSB? The role of the GMB is surely to defend its members' jobs -- and they could be threatened if the tie were to go.

don_quixote

Trent End
151503%20Punk%20Ipa_3340%20kopia.preview.jpg

really really really good

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm not doubting that it might taste good, but you wouldn't catch me dead drinking something called "Punk IPA: postmodern classic pale ale."

luka

I thought you couldn't stand English beer?

nah misapprehension on your part. i started this thread you know!

sometimes i cant drink beer becasue my insides are clogged with toxins and i have to switch to spirits.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i like kent. they have some lovely beaches and some lovely pubs and i'm always happy drinking whatever shepard neame thing is on tap. its actually amazing how many wonderful places are just outside london ready and waiting for day trip adventures. whitstable dungeness etc etc etc

all true, and the countryside is gorgeous, but:

have you ever lived there?

just. don't.

St Peter's Chapel in Bradwell is the place outside London I need to finally get around to going to.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
nah misapprehension on your part. i started this thread you know!

Orite. I must have seen you write that you don't drink it much these days (or at all, being in Aus, I guess).

Wow, this thread's been going since 2005 - before my time!

scottdisco

rip this joint please
some mates and i have been on the lash in Newcastle.

can i just say in terms of range and quality, the Newcastle Arms near the Chinatown there is a stunning freehouse.

the Bodega near the Tyne Theatre deeply impressed me too if i'm speaking with my CAMRA hat on.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
img_5819.jpg

another splendid American IPA, this one from near Kalamazoo, southwest MI.

back on this side of the pond, Mordue's Five Bridge Bitter is a wonderful Tyneside session scoop.

Immryr

some mates and i have been on the lash in Newcastle.

can i just say in terms of range and quality, the Newcastle Arms near the Chinatown there is a stunning freehouse.

the Bodega near the Tyne Theatre deeply impressed me too if i'm speaking with my CAMRA hat on.

yeah those are good pubs, the baccus is really good too. newcastle arms used to be my favourite, but it hasn't been getting as good beers in as it used to, it seems - to many insipid 'session' beers. but now they have started getting things like orval and that dogfish ipa, which means there is always a backup!

scottdisco

rip this joint please
yeah those are good pubs, the baccus is really good too.

oh aye went in there too, that was really great as well! other pubs wise (stayed in Walker), went in a local joint in Cullercoats, a fairly real ale pub in Tynemouth and a modern foodie pub-bar joint in Tynemouth, Tilly's in town, a few other places and ended up in Digital where the smaller room was far less 'indie' than the main place.

newcastle arms used to be my favourite, but it hasn't been getting as good beers in as it used to, it seems - to many insipid 'session' beers. but now they have started getting things like orval and that dogfish ipa, which means there is always a backup!

yes, the draught card certainly had a fair few session choices when my pals and i called in on Thursday it's fair to say, but - among the things i liked - i was really impressed with the small handwritten chalk listing of hundreds of beers on the walls and pillars behind the bar.

from the west midlands, if you like hoppy beers then

mad-goose.jpg

and speaking of session beers, this is a really nice one, actually

GOLD1-11.jpg

luka

i do have mixed feelings about beer actually. i often enjoy a beer or two after or during a hot day or if i've had a hard day at work. i'd rather not drink beer all night, although i often do.
i think brandy or whiskey is far better to drink if you're going to drink all night. thats just a personal preference.
english beer you can get here sometimes, in bottles.

(nah, i know people who moved to kent, i know how grim it is. a daytrips out of london thread would be good. essex and kent are full of fantastic places, bradwell as you mentined and that whole esturine essex bit, leigh-on sea, tollesberry,etc lots of good stuff within an hours drive or so)