scottdisco

rip this joint please
£1.80 a bottle from my local Costcutter (also where Richard Whiteley got his cheap cheese from, fact fans).

wow

i have a geeky ambition to go to Keighley one day on a Tim Taylors crawl, having never been in a Taylors managed pub. (i've seen one or two in Huddersfield, but never gone in.)

Camra has a more up-to-date British regional real ale 'league table' than the one i was hawking up thread, given their latest Good Beer Guide has only just been published

Rank Region # Breweries
1 West Yorkshire 34
2 Norfolk 31
3 Derbyshire 28
4 North Yorkshire 28
5 Devon 27
6 Cumbria 26
7 Greater Manchester 25
8 Gloucestershire and Bristol 21
9 Cornwall 20
10 Staffordshire 19
11 Lincolnshire 19
12 Somerset 19
13 Suffolk 18
14 Essex 16
15 Shropshire 16
16 Wiltshire 15
17 Lancashire 15
18 West Midlands 13
19 South Yorkshire 13
20 Glamorgan 13

Greater London in a paltry 27th ;)

oh also
'For the first time since the 19th century, Britain is the undisputed top brewing country in the world. It has over 700 breweries and has more small craft breweries per head of population than all other major industrialised countries; but it also offers tremendous choice.'

i'm guessing the States still has more craft breweries in absolute numbers, then, by the 'per head' phrasing

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Interesting stats there, Scott.

Now, am I totally out of touch and stuck in the past or is £7.20 a bit fucking cheeky for a pint of Grolsch and a pint of passable 4.0% bitter in a nice enough, but generally unremarkable, pub in E3? Yes, the Little Driver, I'm looking at you.

What was I saying the other day about local pubs closing down? Has to make you wonder whether some of them even deserve to stay open, charging prices like that. Obviously sterling's taking a hammering at the moment but unless my grasp of economics is even worse than I thought that shouldn't affact the price of products made in the UK, right?

luka

thank you for your reassurance scott. i've been drinking them all week and feeling a little effeminate as a result.

woops

is not like other people
the only beers i could possibly feel 'feminine' drinking are those strawberry flavoured alcopop ones.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That white beer done by Kronenberg is a disgrace. It tastes like a peach melba yoghurt.

Also because they called it 'Blanc', whereas it should be 'Blanche' ('biere' being a feminine noun). And it's a fucking French brewery!

Guess that's what happens when beers are created by marketing executives rather than brewers.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Also because they called it 'Blanc', whereas it should be 'Blanche' ('biere' being a feminine noun). And it's a fucking French brewery!

Guess that's what happens when beers are created by marketing executives rather than brewers.

Nah, they were just worried that everyone ordering it would start feeling like Vivienne Leigh. Which is a weird thing to feel like when you're having a pint :eek:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
woodfordes_wherry_pumpclip_200pix_200x177.jpg

if you find this bastard on gravity, steam right in

scottdisco

rip this joint please
right it is that time of year again

oldtom-tastingtips.jpg

(rolls sleeves up)

there are about twenty Robinson's houses that the brewery lets serve this from the barrel at the bar, otherwise it's draught and bottle w everybody else. i haven't actually ever seen a Tom barrel but i read in a local guide once this is the case.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
One of my favourites. Best reached by boat. The Pickerel in Cambridge always had it on.
Top stuff.

This week has been all about
red.gif

at the Clachaig in Glencoe.

(And a nice drop of Longrow CV - Springbank's aggressively peaty cousin - but that's off topic.)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
wow

i have a geeky ambition to go to Keighley one day on a Tim Taylors crawl, having never been in a Taylors managed pub. (i've seen one or two in Huddersfield, but never gone in.)

V.delayed response, but The Grove in Hudds is well worth the effort (10 mins from station, over the ring road from the uni) though I'm not sure it's a tt pub. However it always has a fine selection of pristinely looked after beer.

Otherwise I'd recommend a trip out our way, if you are around leeds for a w/e- good beer abounds. Skipton brewery's golden pippen tastes REALLY good at the moment. Plus, not had the chance to check this new brewery out yet, despite locality:
http://www.ilkleybrewery.co.uk/

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
wow, i really like the motif for the Ilkley pumpclips

icon_ilkley_best_sm.gif

icon_smokedwitch_sm.gif

etc

in what is quite possibly my new fave central Ldn pub, the Harp on Chandos Place [fancyapint?], one table has a large rubber beer mat w pictures of all the regular Tim Taylor's beers, it's quality, proper Yorkshire ale pr0n :D

this will suffice in its place

IMG_0088.JPG

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Does anyone know if you can buy gueuze in London for a decent price (had it in a couple of belgian bars, but haven't founda ny shops to buy it in yet)?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Does anyone know if you can buy gueuze in London for a decent price (had it in a couple of belgian bars, but haven't founda ny shops to buy it in yet)?

this site may (or may not) be of use, the shop they mention in Twickenham sells a Cantillon gueuze for £4.20, which is not disastrous i suppose.

think i'm repeating myself from earlier in the thread here, but i really like Drie Fonteinen oude gueuze