GhettoTek / B-more Recomendations

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Hey, working on a master's thesis on booty/ghettotech (mostly Detroit side for the sake of specificity and proximity).

On the gender issue, ghetto gets more women in the audience than a lot of other electronic music genres... The DJs I've talked to all say that it's the female members of the audience that demand the nastiest tracks (of course they have a vested interest, grain of salt and all that). Counterintuitive and, hopefully, intellectually productive avenue.

The Chicago stuff all but died out before it got big, although it's experiencing something of a resurgence as "juke." There was a juke show on one of the hip hop radio stations when I lived in Chi (2 years ago) -- Trey the Chocolate Jock, playing juke and bass-heavy hip hop hits (Ciara, Still Tippin). Good stuff. The record store in my neighborhood had a few bootleg CD-R mixtapes floating around. Gant-Man is probably the most successful juke guy at the moment -- he had an official remix of Beyonce's Check On It, which is a first for Chicago ghetto. DJ Slugo is also still active in Chi. DJ Funk is doing stuff now with Ed Banger which most people probably know about; he also resurrected Dance Mania and has released a new EP on it -- let's keep our fingers crossed for a reissue flood!

The Detroit stuff seemed like it was going to get big around 1996-2000, but it never really happened. Detroit is sort of notorious for scene politics and hatoration, which might have had something to do with it; my theory is that Detroit simply doesn't have the economic base to sustain its creative community which leads to fighting over scarce resources. The first thing every ghettotech DJ who made money did was get out of Detroit. I'm trying to trace the really early stuff (pre-Twilight/Databass), which was all released on tiny labels, mostly out of Buy-Rite Records. You can practically hear the seams where they sewed together Detroit electro and Miami bass, which is nice genealogically. There's a fan forum at forum.dickride.com where some Detroit DJs post (DJ Nasty, Starski, DJ Dick), as well as lots of Europeans working the booty bass angle (DJ Koyote and some others). Stuff is much bigger in Europe than it ever was in the states, particularly France, Belgium, and the UK. I keep wanting to make some snarky connection to the Venus Hottentot.

I love Bmore stuff, know very little about the scene though. Maybe if I turn the thesis into a book (hah!). Weirdly, Spank Rock left me sort of cold... I think I wanted something "trackier," or alternatively, better songs! Stylistically it should be right up my alley.

Also, the dances! Each regional niche has its own dance -- check youtube. Chicago's got the juke, Detroit's got the jit, and in Baltimore they rock. There was a juke vs jit competition last weekend in the D, but I had to work and I missed it.

Recommendations to add:

DJ Deeon is one of my favorite Chicago guys. He's on the dirtier side lyrically, which I know turns some people off. I like "Freaks", "Yo Mouf", "House-O-Matic", (he likes using kid voices), "Da Baddest Bitch" is a great anthem.

Aaron Carl doesn't make ghetto exclusively, but I enjoy "21 Positions" and "No No." Interestingly (at least for my work) he is openly gay, and records his own vocals, which puts a new spin on the dirty lyrics/misogyny/heterosexism line. He pitched his voice up on 21 Positions to sound more feminine, a deliberate playing with signifiers of sexuality.

Erotek and Aux 88 make good quality Detroit techno bass, and often show up in ghetto DJ sets, though not strictly ghetto (oh genres!).

Out of Bmore, I will add Blaqstarr, who has made some interesting stuff -- Check out "Get My Gun": weird vocal harmonies, backwards-masking, nice and raw.

First post, handshakes all around. I've lurked on and off (mostly in the Thought and Politics sections) for a few months.

ripley

maybe check out Dj family. He's Japanese but his records are straight up nasty american ghetto bass stuff. I have a mix or two of his.. pretty amazing. there's some youtube videos of him as well he's pretty funny

one mix is called "ghetto bang down" I can maybe post it if you can't find it.

doom

Public Housing
Work it! Work it!!!

http://flaminhotz.com/JUKE/

junoD/L has alotta stuff for sale, databass, juke trax. Do a search for 'juke' & cue up all the results, you'll need to shift thru alot of 'so so' stuff for the gems. Alot of the DJ Rashad trax are really just DJ tools, but theres some ill DJ Clent, Baddmixx & Chi Boogie bangas.

some of my personnal fav. 'Slow songs played fast';

DJ Rashad - Peanut Butter & Jelly,
DJ Nasty - White Tee,
DJ Clent - Aww Shit What the Fuck (the drumz!!!)
Kill Frenzy - Uuuh! (mad max meets rave!)
DJ Spinn - Bang Out (emo juke)
DJ Nehpets - Nonthink (thugged out musique concrete!)

I also really like DJ Di'jital outta Detroit, mates with Aux 88, moody 140bpm electro with ruff, ruff edges & angular chopped samples!

Pestario

tell your friends
i'm a bit obsessed with juke at the moment. downloaded this off of dj slugo's myspace, its amazing

http://www.divshare.com/download/5385562-9f6

I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me to some good juke mixtapes.

synchronicity! After overdosing on grime I'm back on the ghetto/juke angle and spent all last night downloading slugo tracks of itunes. Cheers for reviving this thread

There's a nice mix on this page http://www.djanonymous.fi/labels/ghetto house.html

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
thanks a lot! Does much of this stuff get released on vinyl that makes its way to the UK? I know i've seen various Slugo records about. Did someone upthread mention rubadub stocking a lot of this stuff?

elgato

I just dont know
yeh Juke Trax Online has some amazing stuff, as doom says loads of throwaway but some ridiculous music in there

don't really know about mixes, but imeem is a great place to check out unreleased stuff...

i have some great profile addresses saved somewhere but can't find them right now, i'll try again later. memory says that tracks by Nephets, DJ Roc, and Tha Pope were all worth searching for

Client Eastwood

thanks a lot! Does much of this stuff get released on vinyl that makes its way to the UK? I know i've seen various Slugo records about. Did someone upthread mention rubadub stocking a lot of this stuff?

Not listened to any of this stuff for ages. There's these guys ( http://www.non-stop-djs.com/index.htm )in London doing/did some UK releases. I hear they get a lot of love in Detroit too. Fast and furious mixing from what I remember.

mms

sometimes

elgato

I just dont know
also @ sodiumnightlife, not juke but if you haven't checked him i really recommend you checking Aaron Carl - the guy is straight brilliant, haven't heard the new one yet (just found out about it today! very exciting) but i love Detrevolution and loads of his singles. he ranges all the way from rnb to house to electro, but his booty stuff is sick

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I love aaron carl's straight up techno stuff (crucified anyone?) but didn't know he did booty til yesterday! Am going to check that out.

elgato

I just dont know
there is a stretch of like 4 or 5 tunes on Detrevolution which are 150bpm-ish killer booty type stuff, as Gavin points out, gender/sexuality norms-subverting vocals, pure vibes, amazing sense of humour. this is sick too

bit of a tangent but on a related note i dunno if you know about it but Electrofunk have put out some amazing stuff too

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
yeah i've heard a few thing son electro funk. I've also heard of non stop djs, prancehall linked to one of their mixes a while back. I love watching all the youtubes of this stuff.

mms

sometimes
there is a stretch of like 4 or 5 tunes on Detrevolution which are 150bpm-ish killer booty type stuff, as Gavin points out, gender/sexuality norms-subverting vocals, pure vibes, amazing sense of humour. this is sick too

bit of a tangent but on a related note i dunno if you know about it but Electrofunk have put out some amazing stuff too

yep mr de is mega talented. he was the dj assaults production partner, and dj assault went shitter after he left.

gumdrops

theres a new blaqstarr mixcd about, but ive yet to hear it. wonder what happened to his mad decent album - i expected big things from him.

hint

party record with a siren
The more recent tracks that have appeared online suggest he's going in more of a hip hop / r'n'b direction. One of them has him rhyming over a loop built from "Born Slippy".

BareBones

wheezy
can someone recommend me some good juke stuff to get my teeth into? sadly, i know sod-all about it at the moment. i know so little that i'm not even sure this is the right thread to post this question in.

Last edited:

ripley

can someone recommend me some good juke stuff to get my teeth into? sadly, i know sod-all about it at the moment. i know so little that i'm not even sure this is the right thread to post this question in.

if you look on the previous page of this very thread, you'll se some recommendations. start with post #65