Jamie T

gek-opel

entered apprentice
people aren't attacking anyone for being middle class. They are however attacking people who are middle class but pretend otherwise. I don't think David Bowie ever said he was ghetto did he?

And we would probably be a lot more forgiving if the musical product of these upper-middle class musicians pretending to be working class was actually any cop, but it isn't, its utterly mediocre.

blunt

shot by both sides
people aren't attacking anyone for being middle class. They are however attacking people who are middle class but pretend otherwise.

No, I understand that. But I'm not convinced by the argument that 'middle class' people should talk a certain way, and I'm certainly not convinced that regional accents are the sole province of 'the working classes'.

Is Jamie T pretending to be something he's not? His stories don't strike me as pertaining to anything other than being young and getting fucked up and sleeping around - classic, recurrent pop themes (and everyday experiences) that transcend social class.

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I'm not entirely sure what to think about Jamie T, I mean i'm not a great fan of his music but yeh you're right those are pretty much the common themes of everyone who could possibly be called a youth right now in the UK. I was thinking the other day about the whole binge drinking thing and, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that it has always been fairly traditional for the working class to drink alot - i'm reading road to nab end by William Woodruff in which he talks about his childhood growing up in working class Blackburn in the 1920s and it seems that on a friday night it was fairly traditional for people to finish up in the mills and go and get fucked up. then you've got the gin epidemic etc. These practises have been frowned on by middle/upper class people who's drinking, it would seem to me, has generally been less "binge-y" (of course these are sweeping generalisations and please correct me if i'm wrong.) It seems that moral panic occurs when these working class drinking patterns establish themselves within the youth of the middle/upper class. Now its not just the young factory workers who go out and sink eight pints its the stockbrokers out in Shoreditch as well (to be horribly and crudely stereotypical.) and younger - its not just council estate youths who will gladly neck a bottle of frosty jacks/buckfast but well off middle class kids down a lane, behind a nice house. Someone earlier was talking about middle class kids imitating working class people. Is this a factor here, or am i really really wrong?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The average cost of alcohol has gone down in the last ten years though, hence the real term increases in consumption across all demographics...

swears

preppy-kei
And also, aren't people binge drinking now as a result of working longer hours? If you only have one or two opportunities a week to drink, you're going to make the most of it.

crackerjack

And also, aren't people binge drinking now as a result of working longer hours? If you only have one or two opportunities a week to drink, you're going to make the most of it.

I think it's more to do with people marrying and breeding later and the increased options for night time entertainment.

blunt

shot by both sides
Isn't binge drinking just the result of Labour allowing the breweries to colonise city centres unchallenged, institute happy "hours" that last until closing time, when they chuck everyone out onto a single pedestrianised street; whereupon they feign surprise at the resulting mêlée and decry falling moral standards?