what did you listen to today?

version

Slip Inside this House is decent background music. I remember it being on in a mate's kitchen a few years ago whilst I was drunk, cooking a pizza. It is a cover though.

Simon silverdollarcircle

I've never listened to primal scream. they're this background thing always there, that sun painted on a red background. Brought up all the time, but i dont know one song
I never have either. Something about the thought of listening to those canonical rock albums, just feels like work. And you can always put it off for another day so I always do.

Have never listened to a rolling stones or a Beatles or a pink Floyd album. Listened to a led zeppelin album once and it was ridiculous music. Daft.

Simon silverdollarcircle

Often tho I realise that my mates, who do like good music and basically just listen to 90s deep house and garage as is sensible, will mention something about, I don't know, Television or Dylan or something and I'll realise that somehow, sometime, they must have squirreled themselves away and worked through the canon at one point.

Hours and hours of work must have been going on behind closed doors. Weekends spent diligently listening to music you don't really enjoy just in order to have built up that depth of knowledge.

It's the music equivalent of being "well read" isn't it. They know the classics.

luka

if you dont like rock music no need to listen to the Rock Classics. which is a great relief.

luka

Benny B has heard them all. but it turns out hes also gone the extra mile and listened to all the rock precursors. the mad rock and roll screaming and the haunted blues records and the gospel ululations and the country & western groans and wails.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I never have either. Something about the thought of listening to those canonical rock albums, just feels like work. And you can always put it off for another day so I always do.

Have never listened to a rolling stones or a Beatles or a pink Floyd album. Listened to a led zeppelin album once and it was ridiculous music. Daft.
Screamadelica is not a canonical rock album though. It's just shit.

luka

thats something i could maybe get into, deeper historical digging like Benny was doing over the last couple of days. that an outwards into the non western world. outside the western box.

Simon silverdollarcircle

ive not lsitened to it either but i defnitely think its rock
"
  • The album won the first Mercury Music Prize in 1992.
  • It was Melody Maker's album of the year in 1991.[31]
  • It was Select's album of the year in 1991.[32]
  • In 1996, Select named it as the number 1 album of the 1990s.
  • NME placed it at no. 3 in its "Best Albums of 1991" list.[33]
  • In 2003, NME placed it at no. 23 in its "100 Best Albums Ever" list.[34] In 2006, the magazine also placed it at no. 15 in its "Greatest British Albums Ever" list.[35]
  • NME also named it the "Druggiest Album Ever" in 2011.