Sterns recommendations?

Woebot

hey dave.

i've uploaded this track for you from this lp

ajmer.jpg

download

sounds very like wot u heard dunnit. incredibly funky no?

@STN i guess along with brazilian and african music the other scene worth digging ;) is indian music.

http://www.woebot.com/movabletype/archives/000520.html

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
excellent, cheers matt. i can't download that yet but will when i get home. i'm downloading a bunch of davulzurna stuff now, so hope to find out more about this. seriously makes me think about doing a blog about "things i know nothing about" in my 'hood.

zhao

there are no accidents
you brits are spoiled rotten with your "world" music shops on every street corner

EDIT: ok i'll try to be constructive - judging from the fact that you like reggae would recommend any Ethiopian music from the 70s.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
Obviously these are all African pop, but if you like Afrobeat then it's really really worth digging Etoile De Dakar, who are surely one of the greatest bands ever. Talking of which, someone was bigging up Youssou N'Dour's early tape releases before Etoile De Dakar, when he was with Star Band de Dakar. Does anyone know anything about these?

jesus, i didnt know about the Star Band - look at this. so much!

but you're right about Etoile de Dakar, so good, this is sick, well worth getting. once i get internet at home i could upload it if anyone wants (given its blatent inavailability). youssou is so good, his voice is unbelievable. the recordings are very lo-fi but that adds to the appeal if anything

also amazing are the orchestra baobab, i only have two albums, both easily available, but both awesome - this and this

on the ethiopian thing, this is something i got very randomly, but i think its excellent. very groove led, as the title suggests

and for fela kuti i would say that this is my favourite, although i cant claim to have heard too much of his massive discography

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Continuing on the Afropop theme, there's a track called 'Laye M'Boup' by Thione Seck on the 'Music In My Head' comp, which all but blew my head off with its percussion and its mixture of Indian, Andalucian and other scales (or something - just remembering from the accompanying booklet).

Anyone have any ideas what I should seek out next along these lines? I checked out some other Thione Seck stuff, but it has paled in comparison.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
one of the best things i've seen recently was a dvd of contemporary ethiopian pop music - really plasticky and synthy and nowhere near as organic as anything on the ethiopiques series - someone brought to my house after having spent a couple of months there.
the music was ok, but the real reason for watching was the dancing. the shoulder dancing is pretty amazing, but some of the others were incredible -one other style totally blew my mind but i can't really remember what tribeit was from, so will have to ask. i'll have to see if i can get her to put up some youtubes. they're worth seeing.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Got a cheap comp of hers a while back (double CD with about 4 tracks on it) - bloody amazing. Any specific LPs to recommend, mms?

tom pr

Mali: Check the new Sylliphone conakry compilations (cant believe i havent picked these up yet) which are basically garage bands from mali/guinea. Also Ali Farka Toure's Radio Mali. Ambassadeurs (see my 100)
Hey Woebot, any chance of a link to where I could buy these? They sound great, but all I get through googling is old vinyl...

STN

sou'wester
Enjoyed the Edu Lobo post on Woebot's blog. As a big fan of the English Bryan Ferry, I can't wait to check the Brazilian one...

mms

sometimes
Enjoyed the Edu Lobo post on Woebot's blog. As a big fan of the English Bryan Ferry, I can't wait to check the Brazilian one...

i have an argentinian pressing of missa breva, its a bit off centre on the vinyl, but the cover... he's sitting at a piano it's a dark sleeve against a white background, that lush pink type on the top left corner. matt's not wrong it's great.
ace.

this site is good
look at all this!
http://www.whatmusic.com/

sufi

lala
awesome vocal from Um Habiba

i had a cassette of these at some time in my life, totally charmed to find them on youtube

zhao

there are no accidents
yes those african pearls series is sweet. anyone know if there will be more or is it just those 4?

stelfox if you were into trading mp3s i could give you some amazing new ethipian "hiphop"...