films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

IdleRich

IdleRich
Although I just checked and he made about eighty-thousand films so I wouldn't take my above statement literally. But Double Indemnity, Soylent Green, Cincinnati Kid, Scarlet Woman, Little Caesar, The Woman in the Window... I remember as being good.

rubberdingyrapids

Edward G Robinson plays the Columbo type, he's a very famous star of that era and later ones. Was Soylent Green his last film?

I really like him, normally a good sign if you see his name is in the credits for a film.
You should def watch Scarlett Street, the fritz lang one. Totally underrated noir tragedy. Excellent if you want to watch something where it all goes to shit.

DLaurent

Not sure how Scarlet Street is underrated? My mate knows I like these old movies. Told me that Angels With Dirty Faces is the best noir. Not sure it's even a Noir. I ordered the DVD to make up my opinion. In the meantime, with people telling me Cagney's awesome, I watched The Public Enemy. It's just not a very cohesive film and I've seen better Prohibition films. I think with Cagney he's good, funny accent stuff, and definitely not Wooden like actors of the era, but then again, I've seen some Brando films that are nothing but an acting Vehicle to me and lack the Diminished atmosphere of a proper Noir.

Oppenheimer.
So glad I didn't pay to see it in a cinema.
And the explosion physical effects were atrocious. It was clearly a load of petrol burning, too low temperature without the shock dynamics of the real thing. Has Nolan ever made a good film?

Edit: OK, The Prestige was alright

luka

I watched Maltese Falcon today. Fantastic. Way better than double indemnity which is not very good, objectively speaking.

rubberdingyrapids

Not sure how Scarlet Street is underrated? My mate knows I like these old movies. Told me that Angels With Dirty Faces is the best noir. Not sure it's even a Noir. I ordered the DVD to make up my opinion. In the meantime, with people telling me Cagney's awesome, I watched The Public Enemy. It's just not a very cohesive film and I've seen better Prohibition films. I think with Cagney he's good, funny accent stuff, and definitely not Wooden like actors of the era, but then again, I've seen some Brando films that are nothing but an acting Vehicle to me and lack the Diminished atmosphere of a proper Noir.
i think its often overlooked in terms of fritz lang movies?
eg - https://www.bfi.org.uk/lists/fritz-lang-10-essential-films

IdleRich

IdleRich
A friend of mine IRL was talking about Scarlett Street on Sunday - the sort of synchronicity I've got quite blase about, though really the chance of a random guy bringing up out of nowhere the exact film that was mentioned here several times the day before, especially when it's a fairly obscure thing from well over half a century ago, has to be small enough to make it worth mentioning.

Anyway, I'm sure I've seen it, but there is no genre where the names and titles blur into each other so much as they do with noir and so I become less and less certain about which I've seen as time goes by.

DLaurent

I'm going to rewatch some Siodmak noirs. It's all about the atmosphere, don't care so much if I've seen them before.

rubberdingyrapids

napoleon was a big let down. no idea what it wants to say, cant really find focus on anything about napoleon or his life, and joaquin pheonix is basically doing what he normally does, but seems particularly lifeless here, and doesnt really seem to even get as much time, or doesnt get to have enough to work with as a proper character study. also, it has this odd bleached out, blue tint over the whole thing that just makes it look even more grey/blue, like someone chose 'cold' or 'neutral' on their TV picture settings.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
napoleon was a big let down. no idea what it wants to say, cant really find focus on anything about napoleon or his life, and joaquin pheonix is basically doing what he normally does, but seems particularly lifeless here, and doesnt really seem to even get as much time, or doesnt get to have enough to work with as a proper character study. also, it has this odd bleached out, blue tint over the whole thing that just makes it look even more grey/blue, like someone chose 'cold' or 'neutral' on their TV picture settings.
Yeah honestly, haven't seen it yet, but my hopes aren't high for this film.