films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

rubberdingyrapids

wonka. idk why i saw this. chalamet is irritatingly haughty. the songs are forgettable, except for the old ones from the first film. and the plot is broad and inconsequential, even for an origin story movie. the worst part though was i couldnt tell when it was really set, or where. it wants to be a new greatest showman but cant quite get there (not that that was even that good either).

version

You Can't Win 'Em All. Charles Bronson and Tony Curtis half-arsing it. Some nice shots of Turkey and an interesting historical setting - the Greco-Turkish War - but bland. Patrick Magee pops up at the end as a Turkish general.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Oppenheimer

quiet shift, thought fuck it

apart from the test utter wank, very acty, didn’t know he was such a lad with the ladies but this might be the nadir in self-loathing gushy hand-wringing about BIG STUFF

fuck off

shakahislop

saw enter the void at the cinema. couldn't hack it. impressive and loads to like about it but the constant strobing and the occasional jump scare violence and gore was too intense for me on a quiet evening. the cinema itself was particularly claustrophobic. am a bit sensitive to strobes in general so was a bit of an endurance test. there was something unsafe feeling about the film. almost like an act of sadism inflicted by the filmmaker on the audience.

searched dissensus to look for the appropriate thread and came across @IdleRich telling the same story about gasper noe three times, over a period of about a decade.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Version's memory drive has too much dust in it. Or perhaps he's had to start jettisoning some of these small talk data points.

Which reminds me: Version do you think hysterical realism fairly categorizes Gravity's Rainbow?

rubberdingyrapids

ETV was incredible when i first saw it. Felt really trippy. I want to see the longer version but gaspar noe seems like a director whose films are best the first time and dont have much replay value (then again thats most films prob). Maybe all the daygo and neon lighting someone pointed out in zola and bodies bodies bodies is cos of ETV.

IdleRich

IdleRich
saw enter the void at the cinema. couldn't hack it. impressive and loads to like about it but the constant strobing and the occasional jump scare violence and gore was too intense for me on a quiet evening. the cinema itself was particularly claustrophobic. am a bit sensitive to strobes in general so was a bit of an endurance test. there was something unsafe feeling about the film. almost like an act of sadism inflicted by the filmmaker on the audience.

searched dissensus to look for the appropriate thread and came across @IdleRich telling the same story about gasper noe three times, over a period of about a decade.

What story? Oh meeting him yeah. Similar thoughts about the film anyway, didn't he actually say explicitly that he set out to try and do something similar to what you described to audiences with the music and effects for Irreversible.

shakahislop

What story? Oh meeting him yeah. Similar thoughts about the film anyway, didn't he actually say explicitly that he set out to try and do something similar to what you described to audiences with the music and effects for Irreversible.
yeah i don't know what he's said about it but he got the effect that he was after. there is a kind of cruelty in it i think. sweet childhood videos into immediate wrenching horror and gore. the sound design was really effective in that respect. big jump sounds put way louder in the mix than anything else in the film. that blinking effect every few seconds throughout the first twenty minutes, and the constant wavery flickering, that was hard to take for me. something quite amazing about watching a room full of people in those full screen bright flickering light interlude bits though.

i was thinking about noise music the other day and how out of vogue it seems to be now. enter the void and noise music seem to press some of the same buttons and be going for the same thing, that kind of overwhelming of the audience. that lack of sympathy seems so comprehensively out of step with the present moment.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Starting with the opening credits which people talked about more than the film. I dunno if I said this but I met Gaspar Noe once, and it was just after seeing Enter The Void - but I didn't really like it so I didn't really wanna bring that up.

But yeah I think with Irreversible the sound was supposed to be kinda overwhelming and nauseating and it didi it pretty well I guess, though I don't think I saw it in the cinema where it would have been even more effective no doubt. I've got it in my mind that it was Air or maybe one of the guys out of Air who did it.

shakahislop

But yeah I think with Irreversible the sound was supposed to be kinda overwhelming and nauseating and it didi it pretty well I guess
what's good about that though. what's the point.

you should ask him next time you see him at a party in paris where he's more interested in the sexy girl that he's with.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was more interested in the sexy girl he was with... but I'd say that, although I don't particularly like his films, I do think that there can be value in adding to a sickening scene with sickening music. Just as you make a scary scene more scary or a tense scene more tense. I certainly don't want to be in the position of arguing that films can't or shouldn't have sickening scenes and I think that it follows almost automatically from the acceptance of such scenes ie if you're gonna have 'em then you want them to be as effective as possible.

Or just more simply, do you not think that art may find value in having that kind of effect on someone? I'm not sure that Noe does find that value, but I mean that such things can be good. A bit of a problem with what I'm saying is that I'm defending the general idea of this rather than how Noe does it, which is a bit of an awkward position to be in when we're discussing it in the context of Noe. I think he has good ideas and he's brave about trying to get them across and he takes risks and he really has all the qualities that you hope to see in a good filmmaker but unfortunately somehow it never quite comes together and none of his films (that I've seen) are good. It wouldn't surprise me if one day he makes something absolutely brilliant though - or at least that's what I used to think, I'm not sure he's getting any closer to doing that though so maybe I was wrong.