films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
His first short is brilliant. Still got that shock appeal but something a bit more socio realist in there Iirc. Im a fan of him, hes an amazing stylist (eg ETV), though hes not someone with much depth, just good at the sensory impact stuff. Im ok with that personally.
yeh this is pretty much why i like his movies so much, everything is so overwhelming and bold, the soundtracks, the camera shots, the colour palette. it always makes me very dizzy and at the end of the films i feel like i had all the energy drained out of me. one thing i don't like so much now that i've gotten a bit older is the fatalism and depressive nature of his movies.

woops

is not like other people
I've watched se7en last night been meaning to watch it for ages not very good though Kevin spacie doing a psycho voice and gywneth p as some bird who gets her head chopped off

luka

i thought it was amazing when i watched it in fact went to see it twice in the cinema. but i was 15 i guess, looking at the release date.

shakahislop

I was more interested in the sexy girl he was with... but I'd say that, although I don't particularly like his films, I do think that there can be value in adding to a sickening scene with sickening music. Just as you make a scary scene more scary or a tense scene more tense. I certainly don't want to be in the position of arguing that films can't or shouldn't have sickening scenes and I think that it follows almost automatically from the acceptance of such scenes ie if you're gonna have 'em then you want them to be as effective as possible.

Or just more simply, do you not think that art may find value in having that kind of effect on someone? I'm not sure that Noe does find that value, but I mean that such things can be good. A bit of a problem with what I'm saying is that I'm defending the general idea of this rather than how Noe does it, which is a bit of an awkward position to be in when we're discussing it in the context of Noe. I think he has good ideas and he's brave about trying to get them across and he takes risks and he really has all the qualities that you hope to see in a good filmmaker but unfortunately somehow it never quite comes together and none of his films (that I've seen) are good. It wouldn't surprise me if one day he makes something absolutely brilliant though - or at least that's what I used to think, I'm not sure he's getting any closer to doing that though so maybe I was wrong.
dunno really. i know the recieved wisdom in artland is that transgression, disgust, shock etc are valuable and worthwhile. but my normie take is : what's the point in producing that affect. why would someone make it, and what's in it for us to participate in it as an audience. is there something beyond a weird freak pushing it to the extreme and us going to see it coz it's notorious.

luka

in it's inception it's becasue the artist has a disgust with the bourgeiosie and their complacency, hypocrisy etc but now i'ts just become a self generating thing, what people assume art is supposed to do. and it generates press of course.

woops

is not like other people
the artist has a disgust with the bourgeiosie and their complacency, hypocrisy etc but now i'ts just become a self generating thing
obviously the bourgeoisie share that disgust at their own complacency and hypocrisy. no wonder they love having it fed back to themselves in the context of a gallery or expensive publication.

IdleRich

IdleRich
dunno really. i know the recieved wisdom in artland is that transgression, disgust, shock etc are valuable and worthwhile. but my normie take is : what's the point in producing that affect. why would someone make it, and what's in it for us to participate in it as an audience. is there something beyond a weird freak

I hear you on this. I don't think it's an end in itself and that's the mistake people make. I used to go out with this girl who was doing her PhD in philosophy of art and that was one of her bugbears, i remember meeting a guy at a party who said "I make art that is as shocking as possible, my aim is to shock people as much as I can!" and we were totally bemused by this... reminded you of a toddler proudly bringing you his potty to show you his poo... so to be clear, this is not what I'm defending.

But I just think, suppose you have a horror movie, the idea is to create a genuinely scary bad thing, that is a struggle to overcome and which generates tension in the narrative. And I think in the same way other feelings and emotions that be generated by an artist allow works to have more power. Like just off the top of my head, you might be able to make the audience empathize with someone by putting them through something akin to what they actually experienced.

mixed_biscuits

You're looking good for it. But have middle-class people then gone on regularly to eat food that is shocking in that way? Neither is there food that is interestingly bad, but also no food that is so bad it's good. For these reasons culinary art is the only art form that is congruent to the human organism.

mixed_biscuits

You/I've got a point: what I think is happening is that, just as with food, none of the people enjoying the unenjoyable art really unenjoy it: they enjoy it for reasons supplementary to the ostensibly unenjoyable bits or they actually enjoy the unenjoyable bits; either way it's a pose.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

Ingredients​

• Guinea Pigs (Cuy) - 4
  • Garlic - 1 bulb
  • Green or Yellow Peppers - 2
  • Ground, Roasted Peanuts - 100g
  • Cumin - 1 tsp
  • Chili Panca - 1 tsp
  • Salt - to taste
  • Potatoes - 8
  • Hard Boiled Eggs - 4

Instructions​

1. Crush or finely chop the garlic and combine with salt, cumin and pepper to create a seasoning.
  2. Marinate the guinea pig in the seasoning and leave to rest for 2-4 hours.
  3. Prepare a hot grill, put a bamboo skewer stick through the body of each guinea pig and place on to the grill, turning occasionally.
  4. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in a pot of boiling water.
  5. Finely chop the peppers, mix with chili panca, minced garlic and the ground peanuts.
  6. Spoon the mixture into a frying pan with a little oil and cook for 5 minutes.
  7. Once the potatoes are boiled, cut into slices and place on the plate with the cooked guinea pig, then drizzle over the sauce.
  8. Enjoy!

Nutrition Information:​

YIELD: 4 SERVING SIZE: 4
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 778TOTAL FAT: 30gSATURATED FAT: 8gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 18gCHOLESTEROL: 262mgSODIUM: 401mgCARBOHYDRATES: 86gFIBER: 11gSUGAR: 6gPROTEIN: 45g

shakahislop

You're looking good for it. But have middle-class people then gone on regularly to eat food that is shocking in that way? Neither is there food that is interestingly bad, but also no food that is so bad it's good. For these reasons culinary art is the only art form that is congruent to the human organism.
i think sometimes what people are looking for in food is indeed self-abasement