films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

luka

i think sometimes what people are looking for in food is indeed self-abasement
i often find i have a ;craving' for 'dirty' food but generally, unless im raging pissed, it doesn't satisfy me. it's not a 'real' craving its some false consciousness thing.

version

There's plenty of deliberately disgusting or shocking food. That's how Heston Blumenthal made his name, sticking these bizarre things together like something a child would make in a Roald Dahl story. I also remember seeing an Anthony Bourdain episode where he went to some upscale place in Europe where they were serving things like goat anus and sausages made with unwashed intestine.

IdleRich

IdleRich
His first short is brilliant. Still got that shock appeal but something a bit more socio realist in there Iirc. Im a fan of him, hes an amazing stylist (eg ETV), though hes not someone with much depth, just good at the sensory impact stuff. Im ok with that personally.

Noe? I haven't seen that short - as far as I know - but now I have two reasons to watch it, firstly just to understand your point here, but also, if I like it and think it's appropriate i could potentially show it at film night.

At first I was making a real effort to show things that were unknown, specifically eschewing things by well-known directors or featuring actors people will recognise but I've slowly come to understand that that's silly.

I showed a film by Svankmaijer and I asked if it was too mainstream and everyone looked at me like i was mental - and they were right. So at first I was trying to aim for stuff where noone attending would have heard of it, but that's not necessary. Of course I want to show films people haven't seen, cos if they have what's the point? But I've been thinking about how many directors have a few shorts tucked away that most people won't have seen, even if they have systematically gone through their feature films and so checking through the back catalogues of famous directors is a resource we can't afford to ignore as it's getting harder and harder to find good films that fit.

Long story short we can show one film a month by a known director and still be bringing stuff which is pretty much one hundred percent unseen by every attendee. And even if somebody has seen one of the films we show it's not the end of the world.

Our other trick is, like a Tory government massaging figures by redefining waiting lists or what counts as unemployed or a healthy school meal, we're also extending the length of "shorts" to 40 minutes to give us more options.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There's plenty of deliberately disgusting or shocking food. That's how Heston Blumenthal made his name, sticking these bizarre things together like something a child would make in a Roald Dahl story. I also remember seeing an Anthony Bourdain episode where he went to some upscale place in Europe where they were serving things like goat anus and sausages made with unwashed intestine.

Absolutely, cheese with maggots and so on. Also when I ate a dominos pizza with a girl from Spain and she said it was bad-good which is probably analogous to a guilty pleasure in music or something.

woops

is not like other people
So you've established that you would NOT recommend them, but have you seen them recently?
yeah i watched seul contre tous a few weeks ago, unrelenting study in grimness, only interesting if you are in the mood for seeing how bleak you can bleak it

uses only the most horrible settings and unpleasant fates

mixed_biscuits

Ingredients​

• Guinea Pigs (Cuy) - 4
  • Garlic - 1 bulb
  • Green or Yellow Peppers - 2
  • Ground, Roasted Peanuts - 100g
  • Cumin - 1 tsp
  • Chili Panca - 1 tsp
  • Salt - to taste
  • Potatoes - 8
  • Hard Boiled Eggs - 4

Instructions​

1. Crush or finely chop the garlic and combine with salt, cumin and pepper to create a seasoning.
  2. Marinate the guinea pig in the seasoning and leave to rest for 2-4 hours.
  3. Prepare a hot grill, put a bamboo skewer stick through the body of each guinea pig and place on to the grill, turning occasionally.
  4. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in a pot of boiling water.
  5. Finely chop the peppers, mix with chili panca, minced garlic and the ground peanuts.
  6. Spoon the mixture into a frying pan with a little oil and cook for 5 minutes.
  7. Once the potatoes are boiled, cut into slices and place on the plate with the cooked guinea pig, then drizzle over the sauce.
  8. Enjoy!

Nutrition Information:​

YIELD: 4 SERVING SIZE: 4
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 778TOTAL FAT: 30gSATURATED FAT: 8gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 18gCHOLESTEROL: 262mgSODIUM: 401mgCARBOHYDRATES: 86gFIBER: 11gSUGAR: 6gPROTEIN: 45g
Is this from the guy in your avatar? He's not to be trusted.

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

I've eaten at The Fat Duck, don't you know, and the weird stuff only works because it tastes delicious - it's to show off the learning and skill of the chef.

version

I've eaten at The Fat Duck, don't you know, and the weird stuff only works because it tastes delicious - it's to show off the learning and skill of the chef.

Right, but it's also intended to be shocking. You're supposed to think "Urgh, snail porridge?!" then "Oh, wow!" if you dare to actually eat it. It toys with your sense of disgust.

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

Version has made an apposite point there, because originally gifts were not wrapped in attractive paper but in disgusting icky stuff - e.g. entrails, monkey carcasses, mould - so as to enhance the feeling of surprise. 'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth' refers to the practice of shrouding gifts to royalty in whole horse carcasses. The expression 'take the gift from the horse backwards' also stems from this practice.