films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Really? Not even for Anthony Dog Mantle's camera work? I kinda just wanted to see it for the way it looks, I don't care for Lars Von Trier's work in general though.

The camerawork is very good, for sure.

But the script/concept is abysmal. I loved Breaking the Waves, and seem to remember liking The Idiots (though it was a long time ago)...this, however, is either a joke on arthouse audiences, or the work of someone who is cracking up.

tox

Factory Girl
Really? Not even for Anthony Dog Mantle's camera work? I kinda just wanted to see it for the way it looks, I don't care for Lars Von Trier's work in general though.

I'm not a Von Trier connoisseur or anything, but I did enjoy Dear Wendy. I also wish he'd finish the American trilogy thing, cos Dogville and Manderlay are both interesting movies.

The premise for Anti-Christ sounds fairly ropey though.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Boogie Nights. I put it on because everyone goes on about it all the time, but it's a load of self-consciously indie cool horse shit.

You do get to see Heather Graham naked though which is why I reckon everyone goes on about it. Fair enough.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Shame, I'm (or at least I was) looking forward to seeing Antichrist and Inglourious Basterds. Have to agree about the title of that last one though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
But he singlehandedly sustained the student poster industry during the 1990s. QT - industrial warrior.

I really like Jackie Brown, myself.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
hmn. i like tarantino in the same way i like exploitation/grindhouse flicks. i find them enjoyable. they were the embodiment of 90s cinema for me as a teenager. i find pulp fiction endlessly rewatchable. and the kill bill flicks were visceral and jokey. and yeah, jackie brown rulezors. i imagine my child finding his films on the dead format of dvd in some bargain bin and being enthralled with her find.

i mean sure, he's an asshole, but that hardly has a bearing on anything. antonioni would not have a career if that was a criterion for judging a director's work. not that tarantino is antonioni, but... (ramble)

so... Salo, 120 Days of Sodom. Watched this last night. Would NOT recommend it to anyone, but it certainly passed the time and then some. The last 20 odd (very odd) minutes of the film were worth the price of admission (in this case, free). I had heard that it does not live up to the hype of being the most controversial film in history, but I've never seen anything like it. Truly brazen, dark and unrelenting. Pasolini would have been a choice director for something like Maldoror, or Story of the Eye. Beyond all the torture bits, the costumes of the teenagers in the first ten minutes (they are basically nude for the balance of the film) are fantastic. Looks like an engineered garments lookbook. All newsboy caps, tweed jackets, knickerbockers, earth-tone scarves, leather oxfords!

don_quixote

Trent End
jesus christ ive only ever heard things about that film from people who havent watched it, sounds grizzly. same goes for irreversible

3 Body No Problem

I quite liked Antichrist. I think any fan of A. Tarkowski or D. Lynch would find it interesting. It's quite surreal and touches on many subjects, with the dominant themes being the dominance/submission dialectics in male/female relationships, grief, nature vs nurture, sacrifice, etc, the whole gamut of art-movie favourites.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I quite liked Antichrist. I think any fan of A. Tarkowski or D. Lynch would find it interesting. It's quite surreal and touches on many subjects, with the dominant themes being the dominance/submission dialectics in male/female relationships, grief, nature vs nurture, sacrifice, etc, the whole gamut of art-movie favourites.

Definitely a Lynch fan, but for me Antichrist echoed Inland Empire - both films where the director seemed to be intent on testing the audience's patience to the very limit in a quasi-parody of their previous work.

(And both films in which I fell asleep...)

3 Body No Problem

Definitely a Lynch fan, but for me Antichrist echoed Inland Empire - both films where the director seemed to be intent on testing the audience's patience to the very limit in a quasi-parody of their previous work.

Antichrist is a lot more coherent than Inland Empire. I can't understand how you could fall asleep in Antichrist, there's a lot of shocking violence. Maybe you shouldn't watch this kind of movie when you are tired.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Antichrist is a lot more coherent than Inland Empire. I can't understand how you could fall asleep in Antichrist, there's a lot of shocking violence. Maybe you shouldn't watch this kind of movie when you are tired.

Violence isn't shocking if it's been the wallpaper to your life, tho. I mean, I think Antichrist sound intriguing enough, and visually I like the trailer, but violence is hardly enough to shock anyone anymore is it? People get circumsized for reals everyday.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Violence isn't shocking if it's been the wallpaper to your life, tho. I mean, I think Antichrist sound intriguing enough, and visually I like the trailer, but violence is hardly enough to shock anyone anymore is it? People get circumsized for reals everyday.

Nomad just reminded me of a film i admittedly would recommend, where FGM is central to the plot: Moolaadé (Ousmane Sembène's final film)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

I thought the film as a whole was quite bland, really (and I speak as a Lars von Trier fan). The moments of shocking violence were of course arresting in themselves, but they only became prevalent in the last part of the film, and seemed a bit of a desperate peg to hang a substandard film on.