films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

sub-rosa

cannibal horses
Closet Land

Another Shyamalanesque crap. Watched it as it was supposed to be disturbing, but it was unspeakably stupid.

Fingered

Richard Kern's blue movie with Lydia Lunch. Hilariously horrible!

crackerjack

I haven't seen this. It's not yet been made, cast, scripted or financed. But I won't be going anyway. But I confidently predict it won't be very good (except as some kinda highbrow Showgirls)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2008/nov/26/tom-cruise-katie-holmes

The plan, according to an unnamed "film studio boss" is this: Cruise and Holmes are "looking for a sexy film to star in as a couple". Specifically, they require "some intense sex stuff". Still more specifically, "they're looking at remaking Last Tango in Paris but anything sexy with a good story appeals".

Can you think of anything less likely to work on screen?

Last edited:

crackerjack

Vicky Christina Barcelona

Yes, i know it's my own fault. But £3, Monday night, 15 mins walk from my flat, you know.

Cruz is brilliant and deserves the Oscar she'll get (I checked the odds when I got in, but 4/6 ain't worth it). The rest of the time it's just rubbish.

Dull characters, terrible script (no jokes Woody?),and awful, lazy cliches - did you know europeans are arty and passionate and drink great wine and eat wonderful food and make love to any beautiful woman who catches the eye, while Americans are all hung up on money and golf, but that's OK cos arty people just wind up stabbing each other?

craner

Beast of Burden
Dull characters, terrible script (no jokes Woody?),and awful, lazy cliches - did you know europeans are arty and passionate and drink great wine and eat wonderful food and make love to any beautiful woman who catches the eye, while Americans are all hung up on money and golf, but that's OK cos arty people just wind up stabbing each other?

Ha ha, I did, but I'd forgotten!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Mutant Chronicles.

Except I quite liked it, it reminded me of those people who give you a film script they've written and you read it and they ask for feedback and you go "Ummm, I don't really know what to say about it! But good luck!" and then fuck me ten years later they've got the fucking thing made and the script is still the most unbelievably autistic re-writing of 'The Art and Science of Screenwriting' and you think, well. Good on you. Power to the Auts.

But you don't need to see it to know that, you can just look at the cover where it goes "IN THE 23RD CENTURY" and then on the back it says "IN THE YEAR 2707" and you're like, ummmm, I don't think that's the 23rd century, but maybe time fucked up in the future or something.

Anyway, you don't need to see it. I did that. For mankind.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Step Brothers is fucking hilarious (wrong thread, heh):

"Barbara Walters, Oprah, your wife. You gotta fuck one, kill one, and marry one, go!"

"Dr. Robert Doback: You jagaloons! You're failures! FAILURES!

Brennan Huff: Hey, you're embarrassing yourself, you geriatric fuck!

Nancy Huff: Brennan.

Brennan Huff: Two things: You keep your liver-spotted hands off my beautiful mother. She's a saint! And then you sit down and you write Dale and Brennan a check for $10,000. Or I'm gonna shove one of those fake hearing devices so far up your ass you can hear the sound of your small intestine as it produces shit! "

"Dale Doback: I'm just saying, you need to think about your options. I know you two are technically married but that does not mean that they have to live here.

Dr. Robert Doback: Dale, I think it's time for a change. For both of us.

Dale Doback: Dad, we're men. That means a few things - we like to shit with the door open, we talk about pussy, we go on riverboat gambling trips, and we make our own beef jerky. That's what we do, and now that is all wrecked.
[brief pause]

Dr. Robert Doback: We literally have never done any of those things. "

"Brennan: "Where did he go to medical school?"
Nancy: "He went to Northwestern an Johns Hopkins. Is that good enough for you?"
Brennan: "No, it's not."
Nancy: "Well, Brennan, those are very prestigious schools."
Brennan: "I smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins."
Nancy: "You don't know anyone named Johnny Hopkins."
Brennan: "It was Johnny Hopkins and Sloan Kettering and they were blazing that shit up every day."

Last edited:

tox

Factory Girl
Girl cut in half or whatever its called by claude chabrol. Walked out, it was really irritating me. Anyone seen it?

This is the worst film I've seen in aaaaaages. So so bad, and not even saved by the lovely Ludivine Sagnier.

Pour Elle was considerably better.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
"Brennan: "Where did he go to medical school?"
Nancy: "He went to Northwestern an Johns Hopkins. Is that good enough for you?"
Brennan: "No, it's not."
Nancy: "Well, Brennan, those are very prestigious schools."
Brennan: "I smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins."
Nancy: "You don't know anyone named Johnny Hopkins."
Brennan: "It was Johnny Hopkins and Sloan Kettering and they were blazing that shit up every day."

Haha biomedical research humor!

alex

Do not read this.
I was made to watch Taladega Nights the other night (yes MADE), obviously its shocking, but you dont know how shocking, literally time of my life i will never get back...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I was made to watch Taladega Nights the other night (yes MADE), obviously its shocking, but you dont know how shocking, literally time of my life i will never get back...

I really don't understand Will Ferrell. It's my lack, obviously. I can sort of see Adam Sandler from a kindof retard-jewish type humour, but I hate him, I think he's horrible, horrible...Will Ferrell though...I'm just not on the right prescription pills I think. Maybe he's really funny on Xanax.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah agreed on that. Also, I saw Taladega Nights and, it's strange, there doesn't really seem to be any jokes in it. It's kind of presented as a comedy but it's difficult to see what bits of it are supposed to be funny. It almost makes more sense as a completely ridiculous straight story. Almost.

alex

Do not read this.
for me it was like watching him do what he liked for god knows how long, no real jokes, if they were that is some piss poor humour

STN

sou'wester
Blood: the Last Vampire was unbeleivably bad, and had Samantha Janus's dad from Eastenders in it. A couple of okay fights but otherwise really dry.

crackerjack

Public Enemies.

I can't un-recommend it, but I can't recommend it either, which is a disappointment cos it's the kind of thing I usually love.

zhao

there are no accidents
that Dub Echoes documentary. Soul Jazz went from a label that can do no wrong in my mind to... well, a label which can.