Synth Recommendations

connect_icut

I assume muser means the timeline in Live?

Ah, my bad. I've never really used Live, so I don't know the terminology. I'm starting to think I might have to give Max for Live a try, though. Having said that, once you've gone the route of total customization with Max/MSP, it's hard to go back.

Benny Bunter

I assume muser means the timeline in Live?

One thing you can do is just have another track going to the same MIDI channel with a clip running the whole length in the arrange view where you can put the automation. Still can't record the automation in that way (only draw it, I think) so the Max solution is nice.

Ah right, didn't realise you could do this! Ah well, the max patch is cool anyway. I'm only just getting to grips with midi really.

@connecticut: I really must d/l your album and check out what you've been doing. Sounds very interesting. And I would definitely recommend Max for Live, its so versatile and I've found it pretty easy to get into. I was initially a bit sceptical about the worth of using Max when DAWs are so good nowadays, but I definitely see the benefits now and Max for Live has given us a 'way in' to start using it practically. Its a fine combo, it really is.

Last edited:

connect_icut

@connecticut: I really must d/l your album and check out what you've been doing. Sounds very interesting.

Yes, anyone who is interested in hearing what all that randomized modulation actually sounds like should download my new album for free from the CSAF Records website:

http://csaf-records.com/mp3-releases/

Now then, wasn't there some talk in this thread about vintage Ensoniq sampling keyboards? Turns out that the latest Fennesz release (a tape!) was made with a couple of old Ensoniq's:

http://bubblegumcage3.com/2010/05/06/fennesz-szampler-the-tape-worm-cassette/

massrock

Ah, my bad. I've never really used Live, so I don't know the terminology. I'm starting to think I might have to give Max for Live a try, though.
Apparently you can't send SYSEX through Max For Live at the moment cos Live filters it out. I know Live doesn't support sysex but that's a bit of a shame, hopefully they'll address this.

skull kid

yeah i've got that fennesz tape. it's not an album as such, just a kind of collage of samples he used in his early music. in fact, all of his stuff up until map ref was made on either an ensoniq eps16 or an asr10

both samplers were the first to implement loop-point modulation, or "transwaves" - invented by ensoniq as an attempt to replicate the wave table synthesis of the waldorf synth range, and used by countless artists to create glitches in audio. it allows you to essentially scrub an audio sample in realtime via lfo, mod wheel etc. jan jelinek's loop finding jazz records is another album that relies on this technique

supposedly if you were to set the loop-point to be modulated beyond the actual length of the sample, the sampler would spit out whatever memory was currently loaded into it's ram at random. you can hear this all over early autechre stuff

i just think it's so cool that the asr-10/eps 16 were used concurrently by underground electronica artists AND major rap/rnb producers ranging from rza to timbaland to kanye west

connect_icut

yeah i've got that fennesz tape. it's not an album as such, just a kind of collage of samples he used in his early music. in fact, all of his stuff up until map ref was made on either an ensoniq eps16 or an asr10

I think it works really well as an album, actually but I know what you mean. I should also mention that he clearly continued to use the samplers, at least up until (and including) Endless Summer. Snippets of that album's title track and "A Year in a Minute" are clearly audible on Szampler.

Now then, does anyone know a European/North American release date for the Korg Monotron? It seems to be available in Japan but I haven't seen any street dates for the rest of the world.

skull kid

it looks way too small to accommodate midi ports. i'm more interested in using it as an ms20 filter box rather than a tone generator tbh

connect_icut

I really just want the Monotron as an audio input for my computer. I've never been interested in analogue synths before but this one really caught my fancy. I want to have a collection of toy/miniature electronic instruments going into my soundcard for live sampling and processing purposes.

skull kid

adding an audio input is gonna be a major selling point of this thing. there's the toy synth crew who fuck with gakkens and buddha machines and shit, but there's also dudes who want that thick ms20 style filter at a very reasonable price

alot of people are looking for something to "warm up" their digital synths and this is the perfect solution - i love my yamaha tg33 (bonkers semi-fm/12-bit awm vector synth made by the same team responsible for the prophet vs and forerunner of the korg wavestation - yamaha i love u!) but it sounds so flat and lifeless without a filter. p much part of the reason the esq1 is so beloved is its analog filter, without that it would sound like crab tbh

connect_icut

adding an audio input is gonna be a major selling point of this thing. there's the toy synth crew who fuck with gakkens and buddha machines and shit, but there's also dudes who want that thick ms20 style filter at a very reasonable price

Yep, I have a Buddah Machine plus a Stylophone and a Casio SK1. Might be interesting to put those through the filter before they get to the computer. In my experience, using those things live, through a PA can sound horribly harsh. The analog filter should take some of the edge off.

Never heard of a "Gakken". Going to have to look that up...

Oh okay, I think I need one of those too!

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKGK8

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Anyone know an easy way around midi notes getting stuck when controlling an external synth with a computer sequencer (ableton live in my case)? Something to do with not recieving midi note-offs I suppose.

Connecticut? Can this be sorted out with Max do you know? Its not a huge problem but it is mildly irritating when it happens...:mad:

connect_icut

Anyone know an easy way around midi notes getting stuck when controlling an external synth with a computer sequencer (ableton live in my case)? Something to do with not recieving midi note-offs I suppose.
Connecticut? Can this be sorted out with Max do you know? Its not a huge problem but it is mildly irritating when it happens...:mad:

Not really my area of expertise - I tend to be a MIDI-in person, rather than a MIDI out person, if you see what I mean. Still, I suspect that Max is as likely to miss MIDI note-offs as any other application is. Certainly, I've experienced this problem when using a MIDI keyboard to play synths in Max.

massrock

I wonder why you are getting stuck notes?

Failing prevention you could set up a clip or a little Max thing to send an All Notes Off MIDI message linked to a button or a key. At least you could kill it quickly.

Benny Bunter

I wonder why you are getting stuck notes?

Failing prevention you could set up a clip or a little Max thing to send an All Notes Off MIDI message linked to a button or a key. At least you could kill it quickly.

Yeah this is what I was thinking, I'll see if my mate can knock something up. Apparently its a pretty common problem but haven't come across a good solution from trawling the net.