Synth Recommendations

connect_icut

Could stuck notes be a Max-specific bug, I wonder? I've experienced it quite a lot in Max and Live was originally built in Max, so...

Having a Max button to turn off all MIDI notes is a good idea, though. Might have to build that in to my patch.

Benny Bunter

Doubt its a max specific problem, I've had a trawl round some forums and it seems to be quite a common problem across the board. Still, it only does it now and then so its not a huge ballache. Connecticut, let me know if you manage to build it into your patch yeah, share the knowledge. I'm sure its probably quite simple for someone who knows what they're doing (not for me then!)

In other news, my mate's just built a synth by hand, housed in a biscuit tin! He's fetching it round tonight so I will report back on how cool it is. Obviously its very limited but we're planning to just sample some crazy noises off it. :D

Last edited:

connect_icut

Doubt its a max specific problem, I've had a trawl round some forums and it seems to be quite a common problem across the board. Still, it only does it now and then so its not a huge ballache. Connecticut, let me know if you manage to build it into your patch yeah, share the knowledge. I'm sure its probably quite simple for someone who knows what they're doing (not for me then!)

In other news, my mate's just built a synth by hand, housed in a biscuit tin! He's fetching it round tonight so I will report back on how cool it is. Obviously its very limited but we're planning to just sample some crazy noises off it. :D

Benny, I'm trying to reply to your private message regarding this thread but your inbox is full. You need to delete some stuff, then I can reply.

nomos

Administrator
I've had this stuck note problem with Ableton and my external synth. No Max involved. Haven't had the time for much music making lately, nor troubleshooting, so I can't add anything helpful. But it sounds like a solution might be to assign a controller button to send MIDI CC 123 messages?

I built a very simple synth last year after working my way up from smaller effects projects. Some pics. It's pretty bad ass.

Last edited:

connect_icut

I've had this stuck note problem with Ableton and my external synth. No Max involved. Haven't had the time for much music making lately, nor troubleshooting, so I can't add anything helpful. But it sounds like a solution might be to assign a controller button to send MIDI CC 123 messages?
I built a very simple synth last year after working my way up from smaller effects projects. Some pics. It's pretty bad ass.

Okay, that is pretty cool. I wanna see a picture of the biscuit tin synth too. I once spoke to someone who was into building his own synths and he was visibly wincing as he described the process. Sounds kinda painstaking. At least with Max, it's easy to re-do stuff if you wire it up wrong.

Now then, does anyone know of a really, really small electric piano? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Hohner Pianet but with, like, a two-octave range.

nomos

Administrator
It can be incredibly frustrating and humbling when you get into resoldering and tracking down errors.

Here are the completed guts (made the box myself too):
IMG_0487.JPG

Lots of odd enclosures here

woops

is not like other people
Wow! Great work Nomos! Super impressed
Is that the kit you used?
I've got one of those but I haven't started work on it yet.
I did solder a Bugbrand Workshop Oscillator Machine last year though, it's mad.
When I switched it on and it worked first time it was the most proud moment in absolutely ages.

That Flower electronics stuff is mega want.

Bugbrand and Flower are both examples of recording artists going on to building hardware which I think is a really good development especially for the noise scene where it's almost like a buy a record vs. make your own scenario. Plus hardware synths can't be downloaded!

Another example is a guy from Bastard Noise now doing Trogotronics.

Benny Bunter

Cool stuff Nomos...our new biscuit tin synth is a WSG one too, my mate built the board from scratch. Fired it through a guitar amp last night and it sounded effing mental! Took him something like 3 solid days to build it though, looks like a total nightmare...

One cool thing about the Novation Super Bass station I've just bought is that its got CV/Gate in-out, so you can control old analogue synths through. My pal's gonna get on the case building a synth that we control using MIDI through that which should be mega-cool. He reckons he should be able to make it for about £30 if he sources all the parts himself. Or maybe he could pimp up the one he's just made for even cheaper:slanted:

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
It can be incredibly frustrating and humbling when you get into resoldering and tracking down errors.

You ain't wrong.

Incidentally, I built an analogue monosynth, stuck the whole thing together (inc front panel) and now I have no fucking clue how to attach it to a box.

muser

great example of what can be done with monotron

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

massrock

Someone did some nerd-tastic comparison's of the monotron with an MS-20.

I think I read that the price of that OP-1 thing is gonna be around £750. :eek:

Cross between a ZX Spectrum+ and a VL-1 in't it.

sinclair_zx-spectrum128_2.jpg
vltone.jpg

Last edited:

muser

£750 :eek: thats a bit nuts for something thats essentially pointless, i'd consider forking out 50 for it as a bit of fun tho.

connect_icut

Just ordered a Gakken from the states. Hope I don't get hit with too much duty but it should still end up being pretty cheap. Toy synth orchestra here I come!