Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I hate reggae

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

matt b

Indexing all opinion
come on, stop it! chuck fender sounds like a sizzla influenced young singjay, buju had contemporaries who sounded like him.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
anyway this is missing the point: it's safe to say that sizzla has influenced many, many artists, but that this isn't a bad thing at all. he's not really copying anyone, so that's, in fact, a big, big point in his favour.

(beat me to it matt)

i'll just add this: sizzla is the more rounded, groundbreaking artist, for my money. i don't think many could argue with that, but buju is the man i really want to listen to. that's my point.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
What about in a fight? I'd still back Sizzla, he's quite small but he's ever so cross all the time.

john eden

male pale and stale
What about in a fight? I'd still back Sizzla, he's quite small but he's ever so cross all the time.

There was a great thread on the c8 breakcore board about people sampling ragga without having a clue about the context (including releasing tunes called "battyman" thinking this was a kind of non-specific diss like soundbwoy).

Someone came out with the classic "you all think Capleton is cool because he sounds angry - he's probably angry at YOU!"

john eden

male pale and stale
Ranking Toyan was actually only 14cm tall.

They had to construct little model versions of back-a-wall for the photos on the album covers.

john eden

male pale and stale
At the other end of the scale, you do wonder how these two managed international travel:

1768.jpg

STN

sou'wester
Eek-A-Mouse is well tall.

Also, both Yellowman and Josie Wales are so giant that they once had a soundclash while towering over an entire city! EDIT: Bugger! Eden got there first with the two giants clash gag. I feel robbed!

I reckon little blokes are always the fiercest anyway.

I'd imagine Cutty Ranks is quite a big chap, surely.

Last edited:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Oh I wasn't saying Buju sounded like Bounty Killer. Just that they have a similar kind of impact somehow.

Prince Far I was pretty small, wasn't he.

gabriel

The Heatwave
>C'mon, Gabe, Hill and Valley is a tune.

i guess so, but i just don't like buju's singing voice, it's not very interesting and always sounds pretty whiney to me. i've never really liked that kind of soppy reggae

>I'd imagine Cutty Ranks is quite a big chap, surely.

shortish but very stocky, if i remember rightly (i was really pissed)

it's true that lutan fyah, turbulence, fender, ginjah and mikey pelpa all sound a bit like sizzla, but none of them have ever made anything close to the amazing sounds that sizzla makes, whether it's his crazy falsetto or his incredible melodies - or even just the fact that don corleon produced two albums' worth of such brilliantly strange exclusive material for him. for me, as much as the black woman & child or da real thing are better albums, it was soul deep and rise to the occasion that really convinced me how special sizzla is, in the way he just went and did something so completely outside the reggae dancehall box, which was still amazing and still brilliantly received in the reggae world...

anyway, i'm still not voting :eek:

crackerjack

Prince Far I was pretty small, wasn't he.

Big Youth was big though - and the best DJ ever imo.

You could also credit him with inventing the whole sing-jay thing (Hit The Road Jack, Touch Me In The Morning etc), though he's obviously very very different to Sizzla et al.

zhao

there are no accidents
i guess you all should know who i'm behind... buju is so cannonical that he's hard to fuck with but it's tha Sizz for me. all the way. for all above mentioned reasons of inventiveness, range, etc. and to me, no other contemporary artist have the pure emotional impact of his tunes and delivery.

in a genre arguably more homogenous than other genres, who else sounds as unique? no one. cham?

going through his catalog and picking out the good tunes is a project i started quite a while back... still nowhere close to being finished. daunting, yes, but very enjoyable.

did not know "soundbwoy" was a diss?

a note from the so-called deranged sizzla fanatic

allow me to present a small anecdote, if i may.

i was in jamaica, staying on the university of the west indies campus. it's located right next to august town. on weekends, there'd always be dances in august town which would not exactly be the kinds of events that a white girl and her italian boyfriend could attend--we stuck to the university-sanctioned stone love dances.

thing is, these dances would play sizzla AND ONLY sizzla for hours and hours. we took to walking out to this lovely overlook (where the sound was best) drinking and smoking and thoroughly enjoying what was essentially a weekly demonstration of sizzla's greatness.

the inconsistency argument is, moot, of course. it's as moot as arguing that sizzla's the best because he's recorded more tunes.

really, if we're talking jamaican music here, we should be talking about clashing. and, in a deejay round, sizzla wins it over buju. play sizzla everytime, and good will follow.

i'm not done here...but i have to catch a bus.