whats goin on ere then?

STN

sou'wester
Hmmm, I'll be £40 better off this year. Hooray!

Baseball is absoluetly mind-numbing. There is no tension whatsoever, even if you want one team to win quite badly. The only excitement is when they throw hotdogs at you. If you swear you get chucked out, though how anyone could get that worked up is beyond me. It goes on forever as well.

I am really angry that poorer people will now pay more tax proportional to their income and richer people will pay less.

In what way is that good?

It's tempting to add something about Labour values etc but we all know they got chucked out years ago.....

I will be paying a lot more tax than last year.

They also want to start charging for rubbish collections (on top of council tax) and close my local hospital (which is in the black, fully funded and extremely good).

I feel like emigrating again......:(

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What? That sucks! Where do you live, Edward?

Council tax is a scandal, it just goes up and up every year.

Local hospital is Whipps Cross

http://www.savewhippscross.org/

although :eek: i had seen the posters saying "fully functioning fully funded" and assumed that they meant it IS and not "we would like it to be so."

other news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5074558.stm

the street cleaners do a good job and i expect the firemen do too but they can't be THAT expensive.
the only time I have seen a policeman in my area was when there were 300 outside storming the houses of randomly selected brown people in the name of the war on propaganda or whatever it was.
so what is council tax for?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The dustmen went on strike last year in Harringay (where I lived at the time); after a couple of weeks the place started to smell like downtown Calcutta on a hot day. Fuck knows where the money goes, I expect local councillors have to go on fact-finding missions to Barbados to investigate new methods of recycling paperclips or something.

That is, when they're not pimping their retarded girlfriends...

vimothy

yurp
I am really angry that poorer people will now pay more tax proportional to their income and richer people will pay less.

In what way is that good?

Taxes are good though, right?

It's tempting to add something about Labour values etc but we all know they got chucked out years ago.....

I will be paying a lot more tax than last year.

That's Labour values right there!

Not that the tories are any different. We're all euro-style social democrats now, at least according to the Guardian.

vimothy

yurp
the street cleaners do a good job and i expect the firemen do too but they can't be THAT expensive.
the only time I have seen a policeman in my area was when there were 300 outside storming the houses of randomly selected brown people in the name of the war on propaganda or whatever it was.
so what is council tax for?

Won't paying for the amount of rubbish you have collected be fairer and also discourage people from throwing away so much stuff?

To answer all your points:

Taxes are good right
Yes redistribution of wealth through taxation is good, however, increasing the tax burden on the poor and decreasing it on the rich is moving in the wrong direction in my opinion and encourages those in low paid jobs to try and go on benefits instead where they might be better off.

Not that the tories are any different. We're all euro-style social democrats now, at least according to the Guardian.
Quite. Although I am more upset about Labour's move to the right than the Conservatives' appearance of moving left.

Won't paying for the amount of rubbish you have collected be fairer and also discourage people from throwing away so much stuff?
Yes it would be if they deducted something like the average rubbish collection charge from your council tax.
If part of our council tax is supposedly for rubbish collection and the new charges will be for rubbish collection that means we will all be paying twice.

I can see fly-tipping becoming a big problem.....

Rambler

Awanturnik
I think Gordon's screwed up too. Or someone has, somewhere: every report I've read states pretty clearly that by scrapping the 10% rate (that he introduced himself, to much great fanfare only 7 years ago), Brown is cheekily making the poor pay for the 2p cut of the basic rate of tax. Now, while I'm certainly not poor, I hardly think my part-time freelance editorial work makes me rich either; yet the BBC says I'm going to be £200+ better off next year. Seems a bit counterintuitive to me; I'll believe it when I see it.

crackerjack

In fairness, most commentators accept that the low paid will benefit from higher allowances and credits (esp the Working Family Tax Credit). But they're not universally applicable, nor is there universal take-up.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In fairness, most commentators accept that the low paid will benefit from higher allowances and credits (esp the Working Family Tax Credit). But they're not universally applicable, nor is there universal take-up.

The concensus (arf!) seems to be that these are great if you're married and/or have kids - there are plenty of single people in the lower wage bracket who don't qualify for these breaks.

hucks

Your Message Here
Essentially, Labour benefits policy since 2000 has been in favour of families and discrimintatory towards adults without children. Benefits for adults without children are lower now in real terms than they were ten years ago, whilst other benefits have at least kept pace with earnings growth. This budget extends that trend. Low income people with kids will get more in tax credits, which will make up for the switch from 10p to 20p tax band. Adults without kids won't get this, so they're being screwed.

Essentially, the poor get divided into the deserving - those with kids, pensioners - and the underserving - the rest. Sad.

elgato

I just dont know
Yes it would be if they deducted something like the average rubbish collection charge from your council tax.
If part of our council tax is supposedly for rubbish collection and the new charges will be for rubbish collection that means we will all be paying twice.

I can see fly-tipping becoming a big problem.....

that can be combatted to a fair degree if they make wide-scale recycling easily accessible, publicised and free. it needs to come hand in hand with central govt action on manufacturers though, they need to internalise the environmental costs of production. but something needs to be done about waste, and placing a price tag on it is a very obvious route. so so long as its combined with education and information, i see waste charges as a positive step

can anyone give me a convincing political/economic argument against an incremental council tax? obviously there are the practical barriers to such a change of the middle-class vote, and the massive degree to which people place value on how much they personally stand to lose

i feel the councils should be much more open and public with their finances- people need to see where the money goes. i feel it could make a big difference to the way people think about taxation

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
While local councils' moves to make recycling easier is obviously a great thing, what we need is a better attitude amongst the general public towards both recycling and general waste disposal. Last year I lived in a house full of East Europeans who were nice people but seemed to be unaware of the very concept of recycling - we lived literally next door to a big Sainsbury's with recycling bins for glass, paper, tins, plastic and fabrics but in our house everything went straight in the dustbin. I even started making a pile of glass and tins and stuff that I'd used next to the bin (so I could build up a worthwhile amount and not have to go to the recycling point every time I drank a bottle of beer) but after a couple of days someone would just put it in the bin along with everything else.
What's even worse is people who can't even be bothered to put stuff in a bin. I've actually seen people drop crap on the ground while standing next to a bin, so it would almost have been easier not to litter than to litter. I'm glad there are on-the-spot fines for littering now, there's no excuse for it.