The Wire, Arrested Development - Prototypes of a new type of telly?

nochexxx

harco pronting
ascoltare - omar devone little

perhaps i've been watching too much of 'the wire', so much so i've produced a track inspired by everyone's favourite character 'omar devone little'.

his diy super-queer stick-up man routine coupled with good manners and an elegant tongue won me over, mos def.

if your a fan of pansonic style rockerbilly grind fused with samples of omar's vocal chops, then you may find something worthwhile here.

enjoy and please be in the spirit of omar! "share this with your peoples"!

dl here

luka

did any of you enjoy oz? the prison one? that was the last tv show i got into. the first series on 4. im tempted to watch the wire though. not sure how people find time to watch tv though specially not these new epic series. i can barely find time to cook dinner.

mms

sometimes
did any of you enjoy oz? the prison one? that was the last tv show i got into. the first series on 4. im tempted to watch the wire though. not sure how people find time to watch tv though specially not these new epic series. i can barely find time to cook dinner.

yep oz was excellent too, maybe a precursor to this programme. You'd love the wire i think.

craner

Beast of Burden
From what I've seen of 'Arrested Development' it veers between total brilliance and being intensely irritating; it confused and tickled me when I first saw it, but after a while, something made me want to throw vases and telephones at the TV, and it wasn't just Charlize Theron. Too fucking 'wacky' and 'ironic'? Is that it? Is it a smart-arse 'Scrubs'?

I have never seen 'The Wire' but so many people say so many good things about it that I may actually track down the DVD. I'm really shit at following TV shows. I watched some episodes of 'The Sopranos' and found it really, really boring. I found 'The West Wing' obnoxious and absurd. I quite like 'Law & Order' - but does that even count? The first TV series I loved and made sure to watch every episode (and may even buy the DVD when funds permit) was the first series of 'Mad Men'. An exquistely crafted show that didn't involve policemen, doctors or gangsters. More like it! Except that no one I know has seen 'Mad Men' and I get bored or ignorant glances when I evangelise about it.

craner

Beast of Burden
I remember being transfixed by 'Average Joe 2: Hawaii' in 2005 which was a devastating examination of sexual and emotional sadism. The inappropriately named Larissa Meek was an eye-opener: very sinister and steely, her core clotted with cruelty and cynicism. She was magnificent in her own way.

Last edited:

luka

i watched the first 3 episodes. probably too soon to judge. its a cop show. um, thats it.
led by a soap-opera like compulsion to watch the rest of the season though.

luka

i just finished the 1st series. i think you lot fucked up my experience by hyping it so hard.
who was saying it takes them 90 minutes to watch an episode? are you a bit slow in the brain or something?
its alright though, im not saying its a bad show but the acting is patchy the dialoouge is often horrible, the plots are predictble and my favourite character got killed....
wallace was the best! he was one of the only beleiveble performances, much better than they crinkled faced cunt with his one facial expression

zhao

there are no accidents
so what's teh dissensus on the new vampire show by that American Beauty fellow

i know nothing about it.

someone also highly recommeded Dead Wood. wot you reckon?

craner

Beast of Burden
If you were to idly browse Larissa Meek's blog you would quickly dismiss her as a dull young lady who spends too much time watching Youtube clips, buying plastic toys and eating doughnuts. You fools. What, you think she eats doughnuts? This bitch chews Brillo pads to keep her teeth clean and you're all falling for Obama-friendly La-Riss-a with All The Plastic Toys?? She's Vengeance - redressing the balance of Centuries of sexual oppression. The NBC Harpy.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Now that I've seen the Wire straight through I must admit that the guy who plays McNulty doesn't sound exactly American because he often gets his "r" sounds wrong. Sometimes it sounds a little like he's fighting a hispanic accent or something. If I hadn't known he was English watching it I'd probably have guessed that his first language was Spanish for some reason...because I knew this person from Mexico City who talked a lot like him.

I'm surprised that you like Mad Men so much Craner, everyone here hates it and it has an audience of about 2. If it weren't on AMC it'd be cancelled. I haven't seen a lot of it, but what I have seen seems kinda funny in the way that the recent SNL sketch pins down pretty well.

Also, it's supposed to be set in the "early 60s" but the costuming and social climate depicted in the show says mid 40s.

craner

Beast of Burden
Also, it's supposed to be set in the "early 60s" but the costuming and social climate depicted in the show says mid 40s.

Don't you just hate being told that your favorite TV show is a pile of shit? Two months ago, I enjoyed this show very much, although I'm not sure I can compose an eloquent defense of it now. Time moves on! My favorite TV show now is Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. No, wait, I mean Autumnwatch! (With the huge ravens and shining seals.)

Are you sure about this, Nomad? The costuming looks at least mid-50s which, considering the show is set in 1962, is not too out of whack. I can see how the excessive smoking and drinking and womanising during office hours can seem a bit pantomine. I won't buy the DVD because I can just imagine the whole thing falling to pieces in front of my eyes.

100 Americans love Mad men!
2 people. Yeah, right!