The Wire, Arrested Development - Prototypes of a new type of telly?

crackerjack

Anyone else watching the second series of Mad Men? It got off to a shaky start, I felt, but it's really starting to get very good.

Moi, with the zealotry of the convert.

Wasn't convinced by the affair with the comedian's wife, but the fallout from it is getting quite deliciously nasty. (Haven't see this week's yet, so no spoilers pls).

Joan's arse grows ever more ever more.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, I had the same reaction about the affair, it was a bit too contrived - the fall out, however, is fantastic. I can't wait to see how it gets resolved. They're going to do some interesting things with Joan's character too, which is good news. Her curves get curvier by the week.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Still wathching Mad Men II, no reason not to now that Betty Draper (sweet January Jones) is finally starting to crack up.

And I've been dipping into "The Wire" again now that it on BBC Two every night of the working week. What surprised me is how many of the characters are presented in the initial episode.

Not going to watch all episodes again, but this time I put the subtexts on just to get all the dialogue. When watching first time I didn't want the subtexts to distract from the acting and atmosphere, this time just making sure I get it all (and as a bonus the subtext shows what music is playing, ie when in Orlando's).

craner

Beast of Burden
Watching Betty rip into the red wine straight after breakfast, still wearing clothes from the previous night's dinner party, was really quite startling.

Still no one knows, who is, or isn't, Donald Draper? I don't even think the writers really know.

craner

Beast of Burden
Sublime call, Cracker! I'm amashed to say, that had not occured to me, but spot on. You've enriched the whole thing, as if it needed it.

Have you noticed, also, that all the episodes seem to end with a last scene pastiche of various famous advert poses?

This is a new type of telly for sure. I think it's better than the Sopranoes by a country mile, but then, I don't like gangsters.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
This is a new type of telly for sure.

very good call, Ollie.

i do want to start watching this consistently, as opposed to just picking up on it occasionally.
there was a scene where Draper tied some woman up in a hotel bed and left her (the same comedian's wife?) and - well here i admit i only caught this scene alone - but, jeez, it was electrifying. (something similar happened to great effect in Shameless recently.)

elsewhere, The Wire.
whew.

have to admit, after years of hearing about it off US-based peeps, and then the last year or two of hearing about it off British-based mates savvy with the FX channel and/or DVDs, i had unreasonably high expectations, which are - so far, after five episodes of season one - being exceeded in some style.. ...the scene where D'Angelo Barksdale and his crew on the low-rise lawns discuss the (de)merits of belittling customers was brilliantly handled.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
apologies if this has been posted, but has anyone seen "Eastbound and Down"? this is the funniest show since Arrested Development and IASIP. It's on HBO, with Danny McBride -

danny.jpg

Favorite lines:

" I had a dream about this moment... When I was making love... to my wife Donna. On top a her; powerful thrusts, filling the sultry night air. Heavy breath. My son Gabriel walked in, little boy. My wife sprung out of bed and said "No, Gabriel! Leave!" And I said "No, honey, shut your mouth, let him watch." Let him watch what is being consecrated here. And I want the people to watch what is going to be consecrated here. And I will bring my son down here, and he will watch. "

"You and your weights can fuck off somewhere. I don't need those godamn weights. Those things are fucking heavy!"

"Name of the game kids: Thunderdome. Two men enter, one man leaves"
Kids: "Kill! Kill! KIll!"

"Every pair of tits comes with a gaping hole of need"

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Oh, come on! Don't be like that! I wasn't trying to be a massive dick, and I am quite possibly in love with you Nomad, so let's leave it at that.

...and I'm sure I know far less than you do. But something nags me here. I know a man who runs a company that dresses sets for anything from BBC dramas to big Hollywood period productions. He has a large terrace house in Ealing and every room is stuffed with objects from every period relating to every situation possible. (Amazing house to roam around, by the way.) He's friends with Barbara Streisand, for example, so it's no small affair. And I know, from talking with him, you cannot get away with any period or stylistic mistakes in this business. As it's very competitive, for example.

So, it seems to me that a company of set and costume designers working on an important US TV series, with worldwide franchise rights, and, to a large extent, basing its appeal on period detail, would be unlikely to get this so catastrophically wrong. Mainly because it would, at best, compromise, or at worst, destory, their future careers.

I don't know, but it would surprise me. I mean, the show was shot in HD, so I feel sure they researched its look quite thoroughly.

Joan-Holloway-Ep12.jpg

In deed, how right you are. I am sure that there is gloss to it as mentioned later in the thread (and as in the linked piece where the "wrong" typewriter is used, but on purpose) . But just read this piece found via BoingBoing (95% rubbish, but sometimes it comes up with gems like this),
An Interview with Scott Buckwald, Prop Master for the Hit TV Show Mad Men.

We had a wardrobe, which is essentially a big vinyl plastic bag that you would put your clothes in. It has a wooden hanger, and it hangs in a closet. You can still buy them at Target but the design is different. There was one scene in which the actress takes this wardrobe out of her closet, lays it on the bed, and pulls her dress out of it.

The problem was that these wardrobes were made out of very thin vinyl. Really, it was just a big vinyl bag, and it’s not collectible like an old Coca-Cola sign or a Barbie doll. It’s not the kind of thing that someone would put away and preserve. It’s as glamorous as the tube inside of a roll of toilet paper. When you’re done with it, you throw it away. There is no collectible value to it.

Somebody had one and I e-mailed him and I said, “Look, I need this right away.” So he sent it to me right away, and it was brand new in the package. It was from 1959 or 1960 and the package had never been opened. I got it, opened the package, and the plastic was all dried up. The thing was falling apart in my hands! But it did give me a pattern. We took it to a manufacturer and they were able to take new vinyl plastic that was the same color and texture as the original and build that over the old, rotting-out one. So, $500 later, we had a new wardrobe, and it was vibrant. And there you have it. It was remade.​

And

Getting the Sara Lee logo from 1960 was easy, but finding an actual cheesecake box was hard. Again, that’s not very collectible. Pretty much the second after the cake was taken out, the box would have been thrown away, so I looked through pictures of kitchen scenes, hoping to find a cherry cheesecake box sitting there. After looking through 3,000 pictures, I was able to capture every angle of the box and I was able to redraw it on Illustrator and tweak it on Photoshop and then print it out and rebuild the box.​

Not related to the above, but still revealing. I find this one hard to believe,

Machine guns, handguns, and shotguns are also props. All weapons on movies are 100% real. When you see Saving Private Ryan or a Sylvester Stallone or Schwarzenegger movie, all those weapons are real. Those are not plastic toy cap guns.​

and

I have 25 Beatles Butcher covers in all different conditions. I have a first state of the Beatles Butcher cover album in beautiful condition, still with its original cellophane on it, never been touched.​

I feel humbled (not sure if that is the right word) by obssesives like Buckwald

(edit: I guess a guy like him can make Beatles butcher covers with cellophane and make it look quite right though).

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
i'm still longing to find another episodic drama to get into. i would be happy with anything half as good as 'the wire' or 'mad men'. where next? please don't suggest 'sons of anarchy'. i tried 'breaking bad' and lost interest after the first episode.

perhaps i should watch something old school and british like boys from the black stuff?

Lichen

i'm still longing to find another episodic drama to get into. i would be happy with anything half as good as 'the wire' or 'mad men'. where next? please don't suggest 'sons of anarchy'. i tried 'breaking bad' and lost interest after the first episode.

Easy - "spiral" - a french cop drama on bbc 4, and the iplayer. looks superb.

crackerjack

perhaps i should watch something old school and british like boys from the black stuff?

Oh dear, if you're prepared to take another tip from me, try this for old school and British.

Sons of Anarchy is a bit of a guilty pleasure, I must admit, but stick with Breaking Bad - the first series is very short and the second is utterly brilliant.

and seconded on Spiral