Popular music in China

zhao

there are no accidents
and it is just a matter of probability that a few of those brand new buildings will be collapsing! :D

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Steve Barker contributed to a blog post i wrote about China with some insights on Chinese music here

I think this piece is really interesting, Steve/Blackdown my first hearings ever of anything 'sine' ( ) in pop I think must have been

the Hong Kong Phooey theme tune, whose 'Pan-riffic' theme tume I came to appreciate the meaning of later via Coil,

'Turning Japanese' by The Vapours,

'Hong Kong Garden' and

'Japanese Boy' by Aneka
"Kung Fu Fighting' is probably in there too, though my memories of that are vague.

If you're Irish, there's The Chieftains in China live album, probably number one for months in Ireland, a memory burnt in.

'Monkey' featured high for me, less so 'The Water Margin' for me though it sank in deeply for The Doc and people about five years older than me, or people with young parents.

Oh course then there's Japan, Canton especially. And 'Life in Tokyo'

Then it jumps to 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence' and 'Madam Butterfly'. I would say that I was fervently listening to Yellow Magic Orchestra but I simply wasn't.

and then a huge jump to the RZA and the Wu-Tang.

I presume it was Wiley to do the first grime one, was it? I'd like to hear grime/dubstep on a sin0-blogariddim. Or a list lol, I'd like to pick em up if I missed any.

mos dan

fact music
what's the name of the 'sinogrime' backing for sharkie major's 'this ain't a game'? it's a wiley beat right? wil was listening to it when we arrived at his flat to interview him, interestingly. it's a sample from a pre-US-crossover jet li film theme.

beijing's answer to dirty-era sonic youth anyone?

http://www.myspace.com/carsickcars

mos dan

fact music
I presume it was Wiley to do the first grime one, was it? I'd like to hear grime/dubstep on a sin0-blogariddim. Or a list lol, I'd like to pick em up if I missed any.

do you think steve9 would do a blogariddim? he had a blog once, i seem to remember. or blackdown? jammer, wiley, kode9 produccies... mmmm :cool:

gumdrops

im actually looking for traditional chinese, or perhaps just traditional music from the far east in general, the type of stuff that would have been influential to jazz artists like sun ra and alice coltrane et

msoes

oh yeah and if anyone doesnt have thai pop spectacular 1960's-1980's then get that now. incredible.

Pestario

tell your friends
and a passing mention of 'C-pop'.

Argh. Concert footage of this stuff gets played in almost every chinese student diner in Australia. It's like bubblegum western pop stripped of any naughtiness and irony. Production values vary but as you would expect the Cantonese ones are the slickest. They always had the music turned down though so I couldn't really hear much of it. But if you're after the Cantonese version of Tom Jones check out Andy Lau haha.

Numbers

I just found out about Zhou Yunpeng. Great stuff.

Bio from China Digital Times: <i>Zhou Yunpeng 周云蓬, 38, is a poet and folk singer based in Beijing. He went blind when he was nine. His last image of the colored world was the elephant in a zoo playing harmonica. This became an inspiration for him to write songs and sing later in his life. He likes to describe pure beautiful nature like a paradise, but he often reminds readers of the coldness of the external world and the struggle within a man’s heart. His language floats like water, his voice is rich and calm. The song below reflects several tragic news events. The helpless and angry tone represents a powerful social and cultural critique from the compassionate artist.</i>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I couldn't find any place on the web where his stuff is for sale, but there are some chinese sites offering lowbitrate downloads.

stephenk

Haven't Blixa Bargeld (Einstürzende Neubauten) just moved to Beijing?
There must be loads of european expats/homegrown artist types around, but is there a "scene" there for that sort of stuff, I mean the Chinese authorities must be a bit wary/scared of the potential dissent inherent in experimental art (or non-authoritarian, independent thought in general)?
There must be a high degree of self-censorship going on among the artists...

http://www.myspace.com/whitebeijing

i guess he's mentoring this band...nice stuff

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Karaoke ?

When I was out there two years ago there was alot of sped up trancey nonsence.

Like what would be on those clubland cds only worse. Dance covers of old popular tunes from over here, Chris de burg, the Beatles etc

But saying that I was in the arsehole of nowhere.

version

Hadn't occurred to me until seeing someone mention it the other day, but, other than TikTok, there seem to no major cultural exports from contemporary China. The only thing that comes to mind is the 2000s Wuxia stuff that Hollywood got in on like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and that's 20 odd years ago.

william_kent

posters on the tube for this

https://www.shenyun.com/uk

(which looks like it's left over from decades ago)

I keep getting adverts for it on youtube

I had to check who is behind it and it's Falun Gong

from wikipedia:
According to Jia Tolentino of The New Yorker, "The ads have to be both ubiquitous and devoid of content so that they can convince more than a million people to pay good money to watch what is, essentially, religious-political propaganda—or, more generously, an extremely elaborate commercial for Falun Dafa’s spiritual teachings and its plight vis-à-vis the Chinese Communist regime."

shakahislop

Hadn't occurred to me until seeing someone mention it the other day, but, other than TikTok, there seem to no major cultural exports from contemporary China. The only thing that comes to mind is the 2000s Wuxia stuff that Hollywood got in on like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and that's 20 odd years ago.
I think it's a 90s framing to think of cultural exports as being things like music and films. The TikTok algo and the associated shortform video is a massive cultural export, basically a whole artform, and one where all the youth energy is at the moment.