Popular music in China

version

I think it's a 90s framing to think of cultural exports as being things like music and films. The TikTok algo and the associated shortform video is a massive cultural export, basically a whole artform, and one where all the youth energy is at the moment.

I mentioned TikTok, also South Korea have plenty of recent cultural exports in the form of music and films.

sufi

lala
I keep getting adverts for it on youtube

I had to check who is behind it and it's Falun Gong

from wikipedia:
that's actually pretty interesting that the highest profile chinese "cultural" import, just about the only thing we're seeing, is from the group that is banned in china (still i guess?) I mean is that something to do with the geopolitics of the china/west relationship?

william_kent

that's actually pretty interesting that the highest profile chinese "cultural" import, just about the only thing we're seeing, is from the group that is banned in china (still i guess?) I mean is that something to do with the geopolitics of the china/west relationship?

yeah, they are banned and persecuted by the CCP

version

There's Chinese-American stuff like Ted Chiang's fiction and Everything Everywhere All at Once, which was a huge hit, but, again, these are things somewhat outside contemporary China.

Liu Cixin, who wrote The Three-Body Problem, still lives there and he's popular enough in the West to have Netflix and others adapting his work, so there's at least one example of a recent cultural export.