Trim - Soulfood

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I thought R6 might have been his class or something.

One thing I love about this tune is that it has an extended breakdown and then kicks right back in, overall lasting over four minutes. It's unusual to hear a grime track which has the courage of its convictions in this way, for it to really hammer the nail home with a final chorus.

gullyskengman

roll deep tiger
rol deep hyper
roll deep wiley is a lyrical sniper
roll deep trimbal
roll deep 38
roll deep r6
roll deep crossfire

yeah that tune has definately grown on me, its the one directly before it thats so swag
cussing mums is your only skill!!!!!!!!

That song is sick , especially when Wiley starts spitting so fast but makes it look effortless .

And why is Wiley sending for Bashy again I thought that saga was finished ?

I don't agree that the track before is swag though, I just see it as an introduction to the next track .

DannyL

Wild Horses
I just got Volume 1 through the post and I'm loving it. Haven't finished the first listen yet, but it's fucking badass, no doubt. One thing I'd say about his lyrics is he reminds me of what I really used to love about classic NY hip hop - that press rewind "what did he say?" moment" - I used to get this kind of buzz of Kool G and Nas at his peak. Not that he sounds like them, but I get the same buzz of off his lyrics.

Noah Baby Food

Volume 2 is really good, listening to it now. He be saying some SHIT for real, I'm well impressed. More than happy with the production too. Mega is BIG ain't he? And that track with Wiley is intense.

Trim's got everything you need in an MC, can tell stories, chat surrealness, war talk, diss, charm, strangeness, originality. Unlike some of his peers man is IMPROVING all the time. he could make a classic album like "Liquid Swords" or "Reasonable Doubt", no question.

gumdrops

i like trim, but he doesnt sound that inspired on soulfood 2. sounds like he thinks he can put any old thing out there and people will buy it. the thing i dont get about mix cds like this is theyre not proper songs, theyre just like trim versioning the beats, and since theyre not songs, they might as well be mixed like a radio session, but theyre not. i dont get it. :confused:

claphands

Poorly-known member
I love these fucking epic mixtape collections. Wiley tearing it up with Tunnel Vision and now Trim releasing these two monster Soulfood mixtapes with a third coming out in less than a month.

the third one is supposed to be the crunch mixtape isnt it? crunch time volume one, im not looking forward to that as much even though crunch didnt sound too bad on that old school beat

viktorvaughn

i was moved to upload this for anyone who doesn't have it:

Trim on Cash Beat on Rinsessions Roll Deep CD

just SO good. i love how he even manages to make the crappy 'roll your boat' lines seem gully with the line about getting 'shanked in your face'.

those rinsesessions CDs are amazing. everyone should own them.

It is great, but Skepta sounds really under-developed as an MC. Obviously come on since then. When exactly did it come out?

I love the bit where Trim calls Scratchy 'Scratchy-D-mus' (as in ...and pliers).

mos dan

fact music
It is great, but Skepta sounds really under-developed as an MC. Obviously come on since then. When exactly did it come out?

I love the bit where Trim calls Scratchy 'Scratchy-D-mus' (as in ...and pliers).

lol. it came out autumn 2005, if memory serves. there was a 'rinsessions' night at ministry of sound around the same time that was pretty good... that was a kinda weird post-eski dance/sidewinder period before straight outta bethnal or dirty canvas started. they made a dvd of the rinsessions night which was fairly terrible.

viktorvaughn

lol. it came out autumn 2005, if memory serves. there was a 'rinsessions' night at ministry of sound around the same time that was pretty good... that was a kinda weird post-eski dance/sidewinder period before straight outta bethnal or dirty canvas started. they made a dvd of the rinsessions night which was fairly terrible.

Just before the hipster left-wing neeks took over eh?!...

Guess he hadn't been Roll Deep for that long (since Jan 05ish?) and was still finding his feet. Compared to the MCing on the Shadetek tunes it's miles off.

I'm working my way sequentially through that whole pack at work. Nearly at the end of the Ruff Sqwad one. Working in the public sector is fucking mint sometimes;)

That Dirty Danger beat done with the Austin Powers theme tune (pretty sure it's by Quincy Jones?) is jokes - 'Jumping'.

Last edited:

msoes

thanks for this

ive listened to it about 10 times in a row

the line

"and if one day you see trim...let me know ...how the scenes getting on"

devastating

You know a song's big when you rip it from Logan's show yourself. Thanks.
When does this actually drop, number 3?