Trim - Soulfood

john eden

male pale and stale
There's a good review of Soulfood vol 1 in the new issue of the The Wire, but the guy who wrote it is clearly some kind of bandwagon jumping johnny-come-lately.

viktorvaughn

I am sooooo excited about SFII! I am praying he maintains the levels over the series and doesn't do a Wiley.

Trim surely has the potential to be up there with Wiley and Dizzee as one the the biggest and best things to ever happen to Grime I rekon.

I sometimes can't believe how much talent came together in Roll Deep. Even putting these three aside Riko, Scratchy D and Flowdan and some of the best in the game....plus Target and Danny Weed.

gabriel

The Heatwave
as a mod, can't you snip it out?!

re: roll deep having so much talent, isn't that in part because when they got big they were smart enough, well respected enough and big enough to be able to absorb lots of other talent, spotting it as it was on the rise and making it part of their big collective, thus stopping it being competition? e.g. riko (wasn't he well known as an individual before becoming part of roll deep), trim (from that interview linked to somewhere upthread, a rwd one i think, it sounded like he wasn't really mates with roll deep but they got him in cos they saw how good he was). also wiley tried to get joker to become part of roll deep a couple of years ago before anyone knew who he was.

but yeah whatever way you look at it, there are so many very very talented peopel assocaited with roll deep

viktorvaughn

as a mod, can't you snip it out?!

re: roll deep having so much talent, isn't that in part because when they got big they were smart enough, well respected enough and big enough to be able to absorb lots of other talent, spotting it as it was on the rise and making it part of their big collective, thus stopping it being competition? e.g. riko (wasn't he well known as an individual before becoming part of roll deep), trim (from that interview linked to somewhere upthread, a rwd one i think, it sounded like he wasn't really mates with roll deep but they got him in cos they saw how good he was). also wiley tried to get joker to become part of roll deep a couple of years ago before anyone knew who he was.

but yeah whatever way you look at it, there are so many very very talented peopel assocaited with roll deep

Yes you are right. I think the original gang were an unusually talented bunch of people who achieved some success and then reached a tipping point (in status and artistic accomplishment) which allowed them to invite even more talented people to join!

Riko has definitely been on pirates since 97 or so, he is older than Wiley.

Trim must have been scoped out as a talent when he was still rolling with the Bomb Squad. 4 or so years ago i guess?

And Wiley tried to poach Tinchy from Ruff Squad!

And then JME and Skepta obviously...

That is interesting about Joker! I would loved to have seen him come in and drop some heavy beats.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Re Joker/Roll Deep... can you verify that quote?

the only person who knew about Joker two years ago afaik was Pinch and his associates.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
There's a good review of Soulfood vol 1 in the new issue of the The Wire, but the guy who wrote it is clearly some kind of bandwagon jumping johnny-come-lately.

Yeah, I hate it when that happens... people jumping on the grime bandwagon just as it's being tipped over the edge of the canyon, why can't they just fuck off and write about, oh I don't know, reggae or something?

:)

gabriel

The Heatwave
Re Joker/Roll Deep... can you verify that quote?

only as far as i can trust that joker was telling the truth, LOL

but yeah wiley had definitely heard and liked joker's beats more than two years ago - they met when riko was playing at heatwave in april 05. in fact riko even rhymed over joker's version of the pum pum riddim at that event

http://www.scandalbag.com/rikodanliveset
http://www.scandalbag.com/galleryapr

it's the bristol-london connection innit, pops up in lots of places

gumdrops

this is very good actually isnt it? i realise im late with the praise, but all the hype on here made me not want to listen to it properly before. i dont mind the fact its not full songs on various tracks - seems to fit with trims approach. but he is still really good. and theres a lot of good beats on here too. i just wish more were a bit faster (he even has a *screwed* version of when im ere on here for some reason!), thats all, but thats a standard bugbear of mine.

hucks

Your Message Here
Is this out on MP3 anywhere? I notice some grime mixtapes are available on MP3 at dubplate.net, but this isn't one of them.

so are we talking about volume 2 yet?

its not as good as the first one, i dont know why i let myself believe it would be - and i can see why he had to put out 2cd's, theres plenty of gems on it, i'm asleep, confidence boost, it's still my playground etc... (pretty much the first 8 tracks) are all great

but theres just not enough trim on this, the marcus nasty "war" tracks with wiley im not feeling at all, and although that mega/dva riddim is eff'd madness! and the many vocals are mostly really good, i'd rather trim was actually on the second disc

it seems like hes doing a wiley with the tunnel vision series - bringing through some youngers(no problem with that) more filler etc (coco mc freestyle???? vice magazine beat wtf?>???)...

but trim is still a genius - im really feeling the bits where he switches the volume of his voice through the tracks from whisper to yell, and the bits where he freestyles without a beat just reinforce his status of poet/wordsmith within the scene

i cant dance, ive got two left feet
but i'll skank from here to mozambique

bascially any bits with trim on it are as good as the first cd, theres just not enough trim. this cd needs editing down/quality control

The Trim and Wiley vocal on the Sidewinder rhythm is absolutely massive. Work the admission price for volume 2 alone.

roll deep tiger
rol deep hyper
roll deep wiley is a lyrical sniper
roll deep trimbal
roll deep 38
roll deep r6
roll deep crossfire

yeah that tune has definately grown on me, its the one directly before it thats so swag
cussing mums is your only skill!!!!!!!!

What's an R6? Or what is R6? Or whatever.

I like that tune as well, but the rest of mixtape is boring, he shoulda got more new bars. I really like the Discarda one though.

its a motorbike i think, yamaha maybe
scorcher used to have those bars, you gonna see me runnin up on my r6, or something like that