Trim - Soulfood

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
could you back this upa bit? ghetto is a lot more vicious and nasty on the mic than trim - trim seems more resigned to life and slightly bitter about it "you know me, i get with it" - he really doesnt scare me at all - didnt you read the interview with trim when he was in nando's on rwd, he seemed fine through that. if anything hes bitter that his obvious talent and ability (and difference/ingenuity) havent been picked up on more over the last 4 years or so

Yeah he's totally not scary, I said nasty as in unpleasant, the character he has. Maybe it's bitterness that I'm picking up on, which I really don't like as a trait.
I'm sure he's a lovely chap and good to his nan and all that, I'll listen through to it again and pull out some quotes to illustrate what I mean, give me a day or two.

Snaps

snaps
Yeah he's totally not scary, I said nasty as in unpleasant, the character he has. Maybe it's bitterness that I'm picking up on, which I really don't like as a trait.
I'm sure he's a lovely chap and good to his nan and all that, I'll listen through to it again and pull out some quotes to illustrate what I mean, give me a day or two.

Yes Trim is not deep down a nasty bloke, but that is too simplistic to be blatantly honest. But life forces him to bring out his worst. But of course people that spit aren't evil or nasty guys down to their souls, but what you can't dispute is that they are guys who have had harsh and unrewarding lives which have made them resentful of 'ordinary' 'normal' and 'decent' lives.

Trim makes these normal lives essential through his skill and virtuosity.

He is just fucking great and he would be in any strata of life.

Snaps

snaps
lo f'in l at the last dozen posts or so.

On the couch with Dissensus Forum....

I know is like an episode of Trisha in here at the moment!

I was a bit pissed last night when I wrote the rambly bullshit post. I'll try and be more considered :eek:

But I must admit that when I listen to Grime, and I don't know if it's the same for others, I do listen and try to figure out the person who your listening to.
Certain Mc's bars (Wiley, Trim, Ghetto definitely and maybe Footsie at a push) are like anagrams of their minds or something so there really is just so much to be puzzled over.

What's better Wiley's stream of consciousness narrative on Crash Bandicoot (tunnel vision vol.1) or Leopold Bloom's Dublin stream (Ulysses vol.1) ;)

gumdrops

im starting to wonder how many rappers/MCs you guys actually DO like then, if you find TRIM of all people unlikeable. being ruthless, cold, hard and numb to the core, thats all part and parcel of being a modern MC (eg - clipse, who i dont really *like* either but admire/am morbidly fascinated with them in the same way i am someone like patrick bateman from american psycho). have you guys seen 300? that absolutely stupid intro about 'showing no fear' and what it is to be a warrior etc might as well be a memo for all aspiring MCs.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
im starting to wonder how many rappers/MCs you guys actually DO like then, if you find TRIM of all people unlikeable. being ruthless, cold, hard and numb to the core, thats all part and parcel of being a modern MC (eg - clipse, who i dont really *like* either but admire/am morbidly fascinated with them in the same way i am someone like patrick bateman from american psycho). have you guys seen 300? that absolutely stupid intro about 'showing no fear' and what it is to be a warrior etc might as well be a memo for all aspiring MCs.

I like, love and listen to most forms of MCing, and have done for the past twenty years. I've listened to Trims' mixtape alot, ALOT, and I think it's great, but I don't warm to him at all, which given that he's funny, lyrical and eloquent is a surprise to me. I admire Jay-Z's lyricism as well, but I don't like him, or what I get from listening to him. I like and advocate hearing about violence and mugging and stabbing, it's not that. Like I said, there's something I pick up on in Trim's stuff that leaves me cold, even though he's obviously a great MC. I'm sure A&R people would say the same thing and I think it's well important to talk about MC's 'characters' in depth in the same way I would ( Ulysses and James Joyce ), though I think Trim's more a Kerouac figure than a Joyce.

Getting deeper, I can't work out what's Trim's character and what his real 'voice' is, which is interesting, shows depth of ability, but it's like listening to someone you know is lying, you listen and are fascinated but ultimately it's just whatever. I can't work out which bits of his lyrics he believes in, and I think ultimately I have to believe that there's some form of conviction at work in order for me to listen to music without just hearing form, and on 'Soul Food' I don't hear conviction, I get bitterness instead, which might be honest but doesn't make like him. But as he says himself, he 'doesn't want to be liked', so fair enough.

I've listened to Trims' mixtape alot, ALOT, and I think it's great, but I don't warm to him at all, which given that he's funny, lyrical and eloquent is a surprise to me.

Trim could be my grandad! i think hes brilliant and out of all the mc's he comes across with bundles of personality - why - because he has something so say, or a way to say it... that tells alot. I had the roadside g's album on in my studio the other day - and the constant gun talk was getting overwhelming - theres only so much "red beam on the best man in your team" stuff tells anything about anyones personality. i think maybe trim could be confusing because he doesnt simply stick to one element of his personality, and so might not be perceived as honest

viktorvaughn

a little, but trim's better :)
Haha. Not sure about that. Doom's flows on Operation Doomsday are mucky beyond belief. Shame he seems to have been getting worse and worse.

I can't wait for Soul Food II - is there a release date around yet? I know he's done the material.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Due to some irregularities at the pressing plant and them taking 2 weeks to actually inform us about it....

Soul Food 1 should be June 18th. If it isn't in your local HMV, they can order it for you from their central depot.

And Soul Food 2 is July 9th

Soul food 3 in August

2 and 3 are both double discs.

gullyskengman

Due to some irregularities at the pressing plant and them taking 2 weeks to actually inform us about it....

Soul Food 1 should be June 18th. If it isn't in your local HMV, they can order it for you from their central depot.

And Soul Food 2 is July 9th

Soul food 3 in August

2 and 3 are both double discs.

Thanks for the info Logan , and WOW I CANT WAIT FOR Vol 2 nd 3 ! ! ! Double discs you know !

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
2 is finished. Confirmed release date for second week in July.

3 is 75% finished. Confirmed release for 2nd week in August

when you cant find them in HMV, my guess is they will be shelved next to these:
newham generals - welcome to newham
newham generals - generally speaking
skepta - greatest hits
the ruff sqwad instrumental cd

gently pines at the potential in that list

i swear skepta has got something released already? is his album not out?
i might have a bootleg