Trim - Soulfood

Immryr

listening to this made me remember something.... did we ever find out who teddy bruckshot was / is?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Good discussion with frisco on logans show tonight, him saying if you're from grime don't deny it, make other stuff fine but be aware of your roots. his tunes sounded good, "grime music" was all about being proud of grime. was good to hear bearing in mind trims comments.

though the track i heard of souldfood volume two, the first i'd heard, was really really good.

big show logan!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Just a note to say that as suggested here I have been giving this CD a lot more attention and it is now absolutely killing me. It's got a good seven or eight totally top notch tracks, much higher hit rate than most mix CDs.

Current faves are In the Ghetto and Liars.

john eden

male pale and stale
Just a note to say that as suggested here I have been giving this CD a lot more attention and it is now absolutely killing me. It's got a good seven or eight totally top notch tracks, much higher hit rate than most mix CDs.

Current faves are In the Ghetto and Liars.

Excellent, nice one.

STN

sou'wester
My copy arrived a couple weeks ago, at first I was really really into it (first four or so listens) but I thought it got boring quite quickly - I'm persevering in the hope that it will be a re-grower. Did anyone else find a lull in their enjoyment of it?

I do really like his casual flow though.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Can anyone please give me a list of websites this has been reviewed on?

Want to try and compile some press for Trim.

And if you know anywhere it would be worth sending it to for review that it hasn't gone to yet, that would be cool.

mos dan

fact music
Can anyone please give me a list of websites this has been reviewed on?

Want to try and compile some press for Trim.

And if you know anywhere it would be worth sending it to for review that it hasn't gone to yet, that would be cool.

you could send it to me - ukrecordshop STILL haven't sent the copy i ordered. fuckries.

Snaps

snaps
My copy arrived a couple weeks ago, at first I was really really into it (first four or so listens) but I thought it got boring quite quickly - I'm persevering in the hope that it will be a re-grower. Did anyone else find a lull in their enjoyment of it?

I do really like his casual flow though.

I do think that at first listen through you are likely to be slightly, very slightly disappointed, only because of your awareness of just how able and considered Trim can be with words ( and how funny and odd he can be -- Don't tick Trim
That'll be a thick thing
Like splitting your wrist skin (Fuckry!)

BUT- I agree with 2stepfan that it is a grower. The lyrics are at times brilliant- like that one that goes: I've got scream clobber on
With a shank the size of KRS's nostrils.

My favourite's are In The Ghetto (I love the part that mellows out at the end, anyone else pissed that they can't let that tune roll on a bit?!) Money up Front, that danny weed one and brothers is wicked though a little vague.

The worst part is the Mc's Trim seems to be hanging around with are not very good. They're all way behind him and they sound a little pathetic on the tracks they are on. But Crunch is a least fun (I'm on a fucking Bob Hope)

Trim is a don no doubt, but he should challenge himself a bit more I think and go for strange topics and themes.

Who reckons Trim would sound wicked on a dubstep, heavy sticky bass tune?

viktorvaughn

Yeah sure it's a grower. Fucking class act. I have listened to it at least 15 times since i got it and there are not many grime mixtapes u can say that about.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I keep coming back to it, and each time I find something I haven't got before from it, which in my books is the definition of a work which is 'alive', it's a living work, which is fucking hard to do.

But however much I listen to it, and admire his deft lyricism, his emotional depth, I still don't like him - or his representation - as a person, he comes across as nasty in a way which I find hard to fathom, there's a ruthlessness there - in it's truest sense, without Ruth, without compassion, which I don't like. I can laugh it off when it comes to Ghetto or whoever, and like it tot ell the truth in most MCs, but with such an obvious intelligence at work, I find it kinda distasteful.

Hasn't stopped me listening to it relentlessly though. I wish I could put my finger on what it is. I love that 'Javan Brothers' track, cos he attempts to explain his ruthlessness in it. It's a deep record, I'd be well proud if I'd made it.

Snaps

snaps
But however much I listen to it, and admire his deft lyricism, his emotional depth, I still don't like him - or his representation - as a person, he comes across as nasty in a way which I find hard to fathom, there's a ruthlessness there - in it's truest sense, without Ruth, without compassion, which I don't like. I can laugh it off when it comes to Ghetto or whoever, and like it tot ell the truth in most MCs, but with such an obvious intelligence at work, I find it kinda distasteful.

This is it with Trim. It's all good being able to hype and go a bit nuts in a tune, spitting the most gutter muckyness you can muster and making it sound poetical and venomous in a mix that holds weight. But after a certain while it just sounds tired, lost and degenerated...

Trim seems to me to be quite lost on this record e.g. shotting weed in a 90's horror film costume, no Roll Deep to roll with, not able to love, demanding money, sin as a means of life.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
At its best Trim's flow is just enormous. He created whole new rhythms to dance to on Major List MCs and he repeats the trick on Soul Food a good half a dozen times. I love the way he's simultaneously threatening, scared and playful in one verse.

The CD really is a grower, the attraction of the tracks creeps up on you but when it's got you, it's got you, seemingly, for life. I still think there's too much filler on there and I could do without the skits, and the tribute stuff at the start - but that could just mean the CD has got a lot more to give.

Compare and contrast with the Ears mixtape, which has some good stuff on it but doesn't really hold your attention, or the last Aftershock one, which is pretty awful - "I paid six quid for one long advert?!?"

I want to get the Kano one though.

BTW 96 Bars of JME sounds fantastic over really pounding dubstep, turns it into weird broken beat. Love it.

Flow Dan owns dubstep? Well, he owns Loefah and the Bug.

Space Ape owns dubstep.

viktorvaughn

listening 15 times to an album means it must be great?? that is sad. i remember listening to great records non-stop, almost 15 times a day.

That's not actually what i said. I have listened to it 15 times since i got it. I got it about, say, 5 weeks ago, and i think listening to a grime mixtape three times a week for five weeks on the trot (and forseeably the next five or ten weeks also) is a pretty decent ratio re: the state of grime mixtapes and also the modern situation of possessing large amounts of music.

Plus there is the matter of preference - some people prefer to batter a small amount of things and some do the reverse.

And i said it was 'a class act', not great. Though it is great!

could you back this upa bit? ghetto is a lot more vicious and nasty on the mic than trim - trim seems more resigned to life and slightly bitter about it "you know me, i get with it" - he really doesnt scare me at all - didnt you read the interview with trim when he was in nando's on rwd, he seemed fine through that. if anything hes bitter that his obvious talent and ability (and difference/ingenuity) havent been picked up on more over the last 4 years or so

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
I think I know what Mr. Sloane means. I had the same feeling with Goodz. When he boasts on his Nightbus freestyle "she called me the killer when i was liffing up her skirt" -- it made me feel very awkward. Not wanting to be naïve, but that wasn't something I'd expect from Goodz given the (recent) history.......