Trim - Soulfood

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I think it's the best mixtape since GNR2 definitely.
I think Rules and Regulations pisses all over it.

I'm not knocking Trim but if, as is pointed out above, his flow is a grower, then it hasn't grown on me yet... seems a bit pedestrian compared to Jammer or Flow Dan or Bear Man or... will give it another go though. Probably be something on the new mix.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
It is pedestrian. Wonderfully ambling and meandering. It has a general malaise of genius about it, much in the same way Wiley has an incredibly busy skippy style when he is at the peak of his MC creativity as shown on the Nightbus dubplate.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think Rules and Regulations pisses all over it.

I'm not knocking Trim but if, as is pointed out above, his flow is a grower, then it hasn't grown on me yet... seems a bit pedestrian compared to Jammer or Flow Dan or Bear Man or... will give it another go though. Probably be something on the new mix.

I think it's quite difficult to compare solo mixtapes with those done by crews. Very little comes close to GNR2 and R&R in my book.

But Trim is way up there on the solo artist tip, him and JME from what I've heard so far.

and yeah, what Logan said - you have to listen to it to get half of what he is on about. Not just have it on in the background and not even realise there is gigantic refix of one of your favourite reggae tunes on there.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yeah I found myself stoppin it a coupla times and bein like 'what the fuck did he just say?', some nice moments. I like the beats, they're retarded.

benjybars

village elder.
trim's flow is overly different but it works so well... also it's a bit unfair to compare soulfood to BITC in terms of beats cos when do u ever hear beats like 'i luv u' or 'stop dat' today?? anyway big up trim all day.. i hope he goes up to soulfood volume 10.

viktorvaughn

I think it's quite difficult to compare solo mixtapes with those done by crews. Very little comes close to GNR2 and R&R in my book.

But Trim is way up there on the solo artist tip, him and JME from what I've heard so far.

and yeah, what Logan said - you have to listen to it to get half of what he is on about. Not just have it on in the background and not even realise there is gigantic refix of one of your favourite reggae tunes on there.

Yeah, it definately needs proper listening too. His flow doesn't jump out in terms of timbre the way Jammer, Badness etc do but it's addictive. He reminds me a bit of MF Doom (who i used to be very into) in the sense of just saying shit cos it sounds cool and doesn't actually mean anything. Some poetic or stream-of-though phrases chucked into a sentence just to give some awesome internal rhyme or assonance or alliteration....

I can't get enough of wordplay just for it's own sake!

I see the point too about Solo Vs group endeavours. Creeper 1 and 2 and Guns N Roses 1 and 2 are both miles better than Rules N Regs in my opinion though.

Immryr

i think simon sdc said it best when he said something along the lines of "trims rhymes are like after-thoughts"

UFO over easy

online mahjong
to those unconvinced by trims flow, listen to what he does on rules and regulations as opposed to his own mix tape.

in my opinion his stuff works best when he just spits a few bars at a time.. the contrast between his flow and everyone elses just seems to work, like on the first tune on rules and regs.. awesome.

Noah Baby Food

Trim has ALWAYS been sick. He's one of the best MCs, hip hop or grime...true unique stylist. That "Don't Choke" track with him and Scratch on Aim High 2 CD, remember that?

"I got weed in the system
To weed I'm a victim
If you got weed don't tick Trim
That'd be a t'ick t'ing
You'll be a victim
Like splitting your wrist skin
I'm lean and I'm driftin
To a place that no one's lived in"

Something like that as I recall. Fucking fire.

RAISED BY WOLVES

Trim has ALWAYS been sick. He's one of the best MCs, hip hop or grime...true unique stylist. That "Don't Choke" track with him and Scratch on Aim High 2 CD, remember that?

"I got weed in the system
To weed I'm a victim
If you got weed don't tick Trim
That'd be a t'ick t'ing
You'll be a victim
Like splitting your wrist skin
I'm lean and I'm driftin
To a place that no one's lived in"

Something like that as I recall. Fucking fire.

Always been a favorite of mine:

"....Faces get shived in
guns are a kids ting
an real tugs got food....

Something about

"Flirting with the short skirts
college girls with course work
when I'm dusty I murk"

Savage.

mms

sometimes
i feel so sorry for roll deep, rules and regs just seems so tired, just such an feckless attempt to work something out after the compromise and wrong moves of in at the deep end. the beats sound like time has passed them by as do the lyrics really, half of trims tape is great the beats work, his lyrics are weirdly confident, other times it's petty and bitter, but the good bits totally make up for it, he's refreshing, funny, sharp, angular and when he's down to earth it's usually beamed from space.
whats the story about him leaving, it was a smart move in hindsight, i hope wileys lp is good.

john eden

male pale and stale
OK - first attempt to extract a new thread from the "rolling grime" one. Hope it's all here.

STN - have you got it yet? Any thoughts?

daddek

trim is genius but his beats just arent nearly as good.

as Dizzee's? It's not just the production. It's more the mixdowns. Dizzee's first album was raw, but it was pretty clean sonically. The beats thumped, the snares, the kicks all cracked hard, his voice was crisp. Almost all other grime records are marred by muddy or cheap sound. It's not a geek audiophile thing, it's something anyone can feel. Put a grime record next to a Julez Santana record, people will move to the Santana record. They'll feel like it's just better, a more rewarding experience. In truth it might be much less inspired then the grime track, but it's presentation is so tight people are wowed by it, and grime just looks shabby in comparison.

Honestly I feel grime is never and was never going to move forward without some proper investment in the sound. Even if they get signed, the UK majors are too incompetant to invest in that, whereas the US will put up bare money in studio time, and reap the benefit.

msoes

yeah grime always sounds like it needs a decent mastering. thats why i enjoy that new wiley track e3 so much i think. well mastered.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
The beats are good, but it's just with a mixtape you aren't going to be taking the audio files to a mansion in Sheffield and spend a week mixing them down at £600 a day are you?