Trim - Soulfood

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
i feel so sorry for roll deep, rules and regs just seems so tired, just such an feckless attempt to work something out after the compromise and wrong moves of in at the deep end.
I don't agree. I don't like every track but I think it's bursting with energy, lots of really great stuff.

the beats sound like time has passed them by as do the lyrics really,
Whose grime beats are better then? Be interested to know!

half of trims tape is great the beats work, his lyrics are weirdly confident, other times it's petty and bitter,
It's the casual homophobia that irritates me...

whats the story about him leaving
Yeah, what's the story?

Trim's CD is growing on me. Turbulence is very good, but not brilliant, glad it's on there though.

Whose got Jah Mek The Worl'd The Classics? Probably worth a thread.

There's that track slewing Syer where he ends with 'Go back to OT you battyman'.

Not too pleasant but not nearly as bad as the Trim'n'Scratch track slewing Sniper on Creeper.

theres hardly any casual homophobia, ive only realised now that someone has said something... that sniper e one is far worse

prancehall says trim soulfood volume 2 is going to be better, i cant wait for that one

Immryr

i think things like mastering are slowly getting better. rules and regs and wileys new album are both mastered pretty well. hopefully everyone else will realize how important this is and follow suit.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Oh dear, not got my copy yet, but I imagine this will irritate me rather a lot. Is there much of it?

A fair amount - nothing really nasty, just casual "batty man" dissing of other MCs, I'm not going to get on a high horse about it but you know, it's there and it's irritating. Similarly the apparent inability to refer to women as another other than gash but at least that has the poetic virtue of alliteration.

Immryr

dont you listen to alot of dancehall? arent you a big fan of the song Celebrate by Roll Deep, which contains the chorus "None stop gash, penetrate that....."

:slanted:

daddek

i think things like mastering are slowly getting better. rules and regs and wileys new album are both mastered pretty well. hopefully everyone else will realize how important this is and follow suit.

The best mastering engineer in the world cannot save a shitty mix. "You can't polish a turd" :slanted:

If the UK majors were to sign another grime artist (thats a big if), they should send the album to whoever mixes Lil Jon, Ying Yang Twins, Dipset etc. If that happened, people might even start listening to it.

But they're so scared to invest over here.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
A fair amount - nothing really nasty, just casual "batty man" dissing of other MCs, I'm not going to get on a high horse about it but you know, it's there and it's irritating. Similarly the apparent inability to refer to women as another other than gash but at least that has the poetic virtue of alliteration.

Uh-oh, on come the backpacks. Where's Poisonous Dart?

daddek said:
The best mastering engineer in the world cannot save a shitty mix. "You can't polish a turd"

If the UK majors were to sign another grime artist (thats a big if), they should send the album to whoever mixes Lil Jon, Ying Yang Twins, Dipset etc. If that happened, people might even start listening to it.

This shit is so grassroots and so detached from major labels and enormous recoupable advances that I don't think this is going to happen any time soon.

What grime really needs before multi-million dollar engineers is a massive public relations makeover. The scene needs to improve its look so it can start promoting shows in London again, and have the general public believe that it is safe to go to them without getting shanked.

Before that happens, grime isn't going anywhere.

This really is an aside to how good Trim's mixtape is though. Fuck this "new threads" system.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
The best mastering engineer in the world cannot save a shitty mix. "You can't polish a turd" :slanted:

I dunno. A lot of people who work in pro audio, from engineers to producers to programmers, turd polishing is what they do every day - and they are fucking good at it, to be fair. I don't think it's about technical expertise or the cost barrier to accessing that, because we have great technicians in this country: people who have been mastering dance music for decades. Dubstep producers don't have $$$ to throw around either, but there's nothing wrong with thier mastering. It's more of an attitude thing with grime that stops it measuring up against US hip hop I think.

Turd polishing ain't quite right because for a lot of those guys - and the American R&B producers epitomise this - it's a technical discipline, about getting that sound, that hit track that sounds good on the radio, and they don't really give a toss about the artist's agenda. You can slag that approach off from an indie/underground persective (indeed, Steve Albini's made a second career from it), but the bare facts are that from early R&B through motown and disco to hip hop now, it produces killer tracks time and time again. There's nothing more thrilling than a producer on a roll, hoovering up shit like J-Lo and churning out gems on the other side.

The thing about grime is that if the artists really want to crack it, they have to submit to that logic, lock stock and barrel. Pop isn't about getting precious about your creative process, it's about what works and what doesn't. So if a producer you barely know tells you to cut a verse you've been honing for weeks, or that's maybe personal to you, because the track needs to be shorter, you just have to do it. Not many personalities can deal with that when push comes to shove, so a lot of people stay in the underground.

I kind of think that grime needs someone like Rza to come through, who understands how to translate the subculture into a mainstream phenomenon in terms of sound and image, without losing the power and thrill of it. Then again, Rza and Genius had both fucked up on majors prior to the Wu Tang and used the knowledge they got to make the clan strong, so maybe it's just about some of the grime artists who got burned on majors taking some time out to reflect before coming back with something.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
maybe it's just about some of the grime artists who got burned on majors taking some time out to reflect before coming back with something.

Haven't heard a proper version of it yet, but Bow E3 sounds like it's huuuuuuge in terms of production, that's Maniac, right? And I kinda agree with your logic, but then again in the 80s you had producers like Mike Howlett who did OMD's Souvenir, top 5, totally unorthodox production and composition. I think it's the machine that's holding them back, not the producers or the masterers, or themselves, bar asking for what they're worth in terms of deal.

gumdrops

grime does not need to sound like juelz santana or any of these 'big' hip hop productions. i liked grime cos it wasnt so sterile, perfect, glossy etc etc. it was similar sounds but the production values on things like ho, i luv u etc were still rough n raw. half the prob with grime is that the musical content of the beats isnt that good and amateurish, not necessarily that the sonic quality is bad (although sounding like it actual has some definition to it would be nice too). but anyway, all i mean to say is that it doesnt need a dr dre or someone, someone like whoever engineered the first so solid album would be just fine. cheap and nasty is one thing but tracks like dilemma still sound so great cos theyre polished but not pristine like 50 cent.

Immryr

yeah, im not talking about "going mainstream" or "making it big", this is irrelevant to me..... im a fairly ardent grime fan, and i will openly say that of the thigns that get released, be it as albums or singles, the level of quality is totally shoddy in terms of the final product. the ideas are there, but they arent presented even close to their full potential.

bow e3 is a perfect example of how good it can sound, or going further back dizzee tracks like I Luv U, Wot U On etc etc etc...

mos dan

fact music
dont you listen to alot of dancehall? arent you a big fan of the song Celebrate by Roll Deep, which contains the chorus "None stop gash, penetrate that....."

:slanted:

i'm not going anywhere near my high horse right now because it's rearing up and not eating its sugar cubes, but i've got to say that line is fucking horrid. it's the way the line ends on 'that'. i like a lot of music with ideas/prejudices that i deplore, but that one line is up (or rather down) there with the worst of them.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
i'm not going anywhere near my high horse right now because it's rearing up and not eating its sugar cubes, but i've got to say that line is fucking horrid. it's the way the line ends on 'that'. i like a lot of music with ideas/prejudices that i deplore, but that one line is up (or rather down) there with the worst of them.

They changed that line in the chorus when they did the video version

boomnoise

♫
it's the words penetrate and gash together that doesn't do it for me.

also, anyone know anything about the etymology of the term gash? i mean, it doesn't take a genius to work out the meaning but when did it start. it is horrid and the way it's become so generic a term in grime arhg. i mean cunt is less offensive.