Trim - Soulfood

benjybars

village elder.
bashy would be one to throw in the hat some of the time, and there are others who do the odd politically conscious track but no-ones militant enough despite the perceived socio-economic stereotype of grime artists. then again it isnt ukhh

how has no-one mentioned JME on the conscious grime tip??? he is blatantly the most backpack grime MC (hence he's the most known amongst students/nu-rave massive)

Immryr

"needed to strap for a conscious lyric; `guess what, guess what`'s what i chose"

hes hardly saul williams now is he ;)

how has no-one mentioned JME on the conscious grime tip??? he is blatantly the most backpack grime MC (hence he's the most known amongst students/nu-rave massive)

jme is a bit hit and miss, sometimes i think he just says stuf he thinks will appeal, i dont get a real sense of conviction/ urgency from him. even though he seems to champion intellect over violence the bars that get the most reloads are the one where he just shouts abuse, so i dont know how far his socially conscious message is getting across

UFO over easy

online mahjong
it's not all about reloads though. it's difficult to make a 'conscious' message hype in a dance. when you're listening to loud music, aggression gets a response. that's why it's so impressive when skepta can make his sweet mother bars so ridiculous hype as well as having a proper message. thinking about it it's incredibly weird (but awesome) getting reloads on lyrics about how much you love your mum.

gabriel

The Heatwave
i dunno, i think one of the main reasons that certain tunes get such a big response is because the song's message connects with fans. loving your mum is pretty universal, and there's loads of massive songs (e.g. sizzla's thank u mama) that get massive forwards for exactly this reason. equally, stuff like welcome to jamrock or gyptian's serious times are often reloaded because people are going nuts in agreement with the messages conveyed, not just cos they are sonically 'hype'

UFO over easy

online mahjong
stuff like welcome to jamrock or gyptian's serious times are often reloaded because people are going nuts in agreement with the messages conveyed, not just cos they are sonically 'hype'

not sure about that, that tune would've got reloads all over the shop regardless of lyrical content

john eden

male pale and stale
thats a good comparison for various reasons but hes not exactly got much to say though has he?

I quite like that., though - sometimes it's much better to have someone talking about the little things, things they know or have picked up, than having an entire critique of every aspect of the world.

It's great that he can be chatting about the kebab shop one minute and then "chip and pin / chip in skin" the next.

See, I want to spilt this thread now! You grime fans are all over the shop, innit. :)

thats a good comparison for various reasons but hes not exactly got much to say though has he?

he is quite young though. listening to him doesnt feel like hes mature beyond his age, not like he's lived through much, so sometimes he can sound unconvincing. Skepta on the other hand is older and has more conviction in his voice (Jme has to bark, Skepta can just growl).

i think its good that he can mc about his life, his daily routine etc... i love all the silverlink bars (96 bars of JME is brilliant etc...) but for me there comes a point where his lyrics have to reflect his experiences or his observations with a view to forming a purpose/direction. I think this is what will drive him forward in the future. Id love to see some more accute social commentary on his part.

john eden

male pale and stale
true but with him i just feel like its nothing BUT little things and they dont add up to anything greater either

Like the man upthread said, it's early days.

I just hope he doesn't become a celebrity too quick and cease having a proper life to chat about.

gumdrops

its not that early, really. hes been around for a good couple of years now. if we are comparing him to KRS, krs changed tack dramatically a year or so after he first released a record. JME, like a lot of grime MCs, just says nothing. some good phrasing, some occasionally divergent content, good voice, lots of energy, but thats it. and his bars have TOO much of that simplistic form about them - both in terms of content and flow (i mean, if youre not saying anything, at least frame it in something a bit more complex).

i just want him to do more songs like food. ;)

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
JME is the most hit and miss MC for me.. when he's good i find myself having so much respect for him taking a different approach/attitude. When he's bad though, his flow sounds so simple and undeveloped it's painful. His double rhyming bars (yo yo blud blud, don't get rude rudeboy boy warning you you know that i don't normally slew slew me that'll be the end of you etc...) are HEAVY tho!!

still, he's blatantly a safe guy and it's obvious from the way they are @ fwd that him and skepta would two of the more fun MCs to go for a drink with!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I totally appreciate JME but find him my least pleasurable MC to listen to on recorded tracks, even though he's breathtaking at points. In interview though he's great, he reminds me of the kid at school who was better at art than everyone else but who really wanted to go into finance.

viktorvaughn

The track 'Crunch' sounds like some early 90s party rap by a group like Black Sheep.

Just listened all the way through again and i conclude

-I wish 'In the ghetto' and 'Sweetboy' weren't on it. I don't think Trim suits rng stylings.

-Barring those two all the tracks are 7/10 or more. Some of the beats are more of a background to Trims vocals, but the vocals are good enough to carry the beats.

-I'm fairly sure there are only two uses of battyboy etc.

-Liar Liar, Rudely Interrupted, Turbulence, Javan Brothers, Get With It, Don't Talk, Wot Pt. 1, War Report are all fucking amazing (pretty good ratio i reckon!)

-Trim is definitely top-5 Grime MC past and present. He's got the best poetic, stop/start flow Grime has ever seen.

-The tape is overall about 8/10 and i think really benefits from not having too many choruses. It lets Trimbal just flow. Prancehall seems to think Pt 2 is even better!

Immryr

trim isnt a top 5 grime mc. he is the best mc in the world!!!!!!!

that video on prancehalls blog is awesome. his flow is really similar to spoken word type stuff. i love it.

benjybars

village elder.
trim isnt a top 5 grime mc. he is the best mc in the world!!!!!!!

that video on prancehalls blog is awesome. his flow is really similar to spoken word type stuff. i love it.

yeah that video is sick... funny that they had to wait for that kid to come out of school to spit some bars aswell!