comics

scottdisco

rip this joint please
palestine.jpg

monumental

I've never heard of Scalped before, but that sounds like a great idea for a comic. Does anyone know of any other stories set in reservations. I remember a val kilmer film and an X files episode but that's it. The AIM seems like an interesting subject yet they've practically been airbrushed out of history.

I'd also recomend Joe Sacco's Safe Area Gorazde, slightly better than Palestine though like it a bit too long for my liking.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
I've never heard of Scalped before, but that sounds like a great idea for a comic. Does anyone know of any other stories set in reservations. I remember a val kilmer film and an X files episode but that's it. The AIM seems like an interesting subject yet they've practically been airbrushed out of history.

I'd also recomend Joe Sacco's Safe Area Gorazde, slightly better than Palestine though like it a bit too long for my liking.

great point re the AIM Owen. i do love the X-Files ep of se1 set on some northern midwest reservation about werewolves (that the one you mean?).

Safe Area Gorazde, awesome book :D (and Hitch in 'classic Hitch style' introduction IIRC!)

Sacco has an interesting thing about the Portland, OR indie scene. i bought it for a mate once. not read it myself but looks very intriguing

but-i-like-it.jpg

I'm currently trying to translate Capricorne by Andreas from french for myself. It's about 15 years since I read more than two french sentences in a row, it's fucking slow. But also fun.

andreas_capricornus_dream2.jpg

connect_icut

I have this fuzzy memory from my teenage years of being in a book store in France and leafing through some science fiction comics by the French artist Moebius, which had absolutely no text whatsoever. They looked amazing but I never bought one. Can anyone recommend a title for me?

I have this fuzzy memory from my teenage years of being in a book store in France and leafing through some science fiction comics by the French artist Moebius, which had absolutely no text whatsoever. They looked amazing but I never bought one. Can anyone recommend a title for me?

That was probably Arzach. Classic stuff, but avoid it if you want a concise and coherent science fiction plot, it's more like psychedelic dream sequences.

zhao

there are no accidents

and besides azrach there were many similar shorts in the first 3 years of Heavy Metal...

no idea where these image came from though
3508664964_f6f3bde172.jpg

3510963550_2f83b0e4e7.jpg

3510166671_58d1687677.jpg

3510162593_62f2d003ff.jpg

3510149033_d939f89062.jpg

3507850335_bdaebac18c.jpg

3510955910_e1b0eb290e.jpg

3510968388_d912266ec1.jpg

3516775004_59c7636228.jpg

3515965393_157d948ce5.jpg

3521668149_fe8f0dd694.jpg

the sixties... :)

and besides azrach there were many similar shorts in the first 3 years of Heavy Metal...

Someone should put out a new nicely edited collection of this stuff.

I have a nice german edition of Le Garage Hermétique that I revisited recently, hilarious and so beautiful.

connect_icut

The main reason I asked is that I'll be in Paris in a couple of weeks and I thought it would be fun to try to find some really nice French editions of this stuff (I'd prefer to get the text-free stuff because my French is limited at best). Having seen some of the images posted here, I'm positively excited at the prospect. Thanks all.

Immryr

yeah, i would like to pick up a copy of Arzach, particularly the textles stuff. can anyone recommend me a good edition / version as there seem to be a few different things about on the internet.

D-T

Antilife Equation on 2012
about Arzach i think you can get some spanish editions, as it's a comic without text, maybe you find some in todocoleccion.net kind of ebay, it works good, and is available english lenguage.
(gimme a hit if you need links)

One of the latest series i read was Miracleman by Alan Moore and various (John Tottlebem, Alan Davis, Rick Veich) i didn't have the oportunity to read it on paper until a few weeks when a friedn borrewed me the 11 numbers (i don't like to much read scans). And i have to say i liked a lot, is really realistc from begining to end. The only bad thing it has this series is that beatdowns a lot of moderm superhero comics like The Authority, or even Sleeper. A must read for me. Probably Marvel will finally reprint the Alan Moore's run soon.

miracleman.jpg

And then i have to recomend you this masterpiece of art wich is called
Takemitsu Samurai by Iseei Eifuku and Taiyo Matsumoto (Tekkon Kinkret), i read the two first volumes published in spain by glenat.
The story follows Soichiro, a samurai wich sells his sword, his soul.
The artwork is just mindblowing, if you like samurai comics or simply a nice story check it out. sorry if there is no english edition.

Takemitsu+Zamur%C3%A1i+IV.jpg

Anyone read those?
Wish you like!

Last edited:

connect_icut

It seems that The Airtight Garage has been out of print in English since 1990 and copies now sell for $150 on Amazon! I think this says a great deal about the English speaking world's shocking ignorance of European comics.

I think this says a great deal about the English speaking world's shocking ignorance of European comics.

In general that's true. But Fantagraphics have recently published three Jaques Tardi albums in English for very reasonable prices, all very good. In the last Previews they announced that they'll publish his "Adele Blanc-Sec" albums too, one of my favourite comic series of all times.
adele_blanc_sec.jpg