comics

proteus

Dorohedoro is the most fun I have got from a manga in a long time...,it's by Q Hayashida,she's the former assistant to Tsutomu Nihei of Blame! and Biomega fame.Chaotic but coherent sci fi seinen madness

dh02018el6.jpg

Qwon

Did anyone manage to make it to the Comic Con at Earl's Court on the weekend? It was my first and was strangely a new experience I might add! picked up a few overpriced graphic novels, nearly bought DBZ on DVD but held my desire back :<

Stuntrock

Got the Latest Jim Woodring GN a month or so ago, Manhog. Greatness!

I like Scalped too but prefer his previous The Otherside mini.

Currently enjoying all Batman/Grant Morrison, Turf, Captain America by Brubaker, Hellblazer (Millgan brings the best run in years!), BPRD and a few other odd ends

zhao

there are no accidents
reading Scalped now based on recommendations here. pretty raw powerful stuff... and yes the art is stunning, and perfect for the stories.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I just finished reading Frank Miller's apparently classic run of Daredevil from the 80's. I don't really understand why it gets all the recognition it does. It's fucking shite. On the other hand, I've been reading Walking Dead concurrently with the television series and though it suffers in some aspects, overall it's pretty good. So in that respect, the show and the comic are very similar.

zhao

there are no accidents
just started the manga EDEN. anyone else? not sure what i think of it yet... a lot of cliches: post apocalypse, ghost cities, robots...

connect_icut

I just finished reading Frank Miller's apparently classic run of Daredevil from the 80's. I don't really understand why it gets all the recognition it does. It's fucking shite.

Well, it depends on what you've been reading. The earlier stuff, the whole Elektra Saga, is dreadful hack work. I'm not sure when Miller got serious, but the Daredevil issues collected in Born Again are phenomenal - you'd never know they were written by the same person. He also did a kind of Daredevil "graphic novella" called Love and War, which is excellent. And then there's Elektra Assassin, surely the most experimental thing he ever did. Both of those last two have incredible painted artwork by Bill Sienkiewicz.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Well, it depends on what you've been reading. The earlier stuff, the whole Elektra Saga, is dreadful hack work..

It was the Elektra Saga and dreadful hack work is a fitting description. This is the run you always hear about though. You always see it up there with Dark Phoenix Saga and Gwen Stacey which to me is just delusional. And it was meant to be a tribute to Will Eisner's The Spirit! ... rolling in grave, etc.

I will get around to checking out the others. When Frank Miller is bad, he is abysmal, but when he's good he actually manages some moments of brilliance. He's also really great at drawing cities at night. His early Wolverine mini-series holds a special place in my heart.

Just started Apostolos Doxiadis's Logicomix: An Epic Search For Truth. It's about the life of Bertrand Russel. Already excited about it. Bertrand Russel is a much better protagonist than Daredevil.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Got the Latest Jim Woodring GN a month or so ago, Manhog. Greatness!

I like Scalped too but prefer his previous The Otherside mini.

Currently enjoying all Batman/Grant Morrison, Turf, Captain America by Brubaker, Hellblazer (Millgan brings the best run in years!), BPRD and a few other odd ends

woodring is doing the best work in comics right now and has been for at least a decade
transcendent and vulgar, both

reading Scalped now based on recommendations here. pretty raw powerful stuff... and yes the art is stunning, and perfect for the stories.

i enjoy scalped, too
i am up to about the 40th issue or so
reading this while watching the first season of deadwood was strange
(both take place on the indian territories of South Dakota; obviously, different perspectives)

charles burns' X'ed Out is promising to be really good in the same way that Woodring is
dreamlike, oddly mystical, and cronenbergian
View attachment 47

reminds me a bit of sakabashira's excellent Box Man:
View attachment 48

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
super late, but Biomega rocks HARD. in a techno-goth-undead kind of way. pure dynamism of the art and story telling is simply badass.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Yo, maybe a bunch of you realized this before, but Grant Morrison is totally bat-shit fucking crazy. See how much of this bullshit you can get through:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6148569602584070911#

If you can't be bothered, basically he has an entire lecture on how you can get abducted by aliens by smoking hash who will take you to other dimensions and show you exactly the nature of reality, which is something like we are all larval slices of time that can plug into the universe and make our desires manifest themselves or some shit. He pretty much just talks absolute shite, drunk off his face, for 45 minutes.

I'm going to see Joe Sacco speak next month! Somehow I think that will be better.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I should clarify that although he clearly lives in another dimension, I can't really say that in theory it is such a bad thing that DC allowed him to fuck around with all their top superhero titles, given that most superhero writers produce the most predictable, infantile, 2-dimensional drivel in the genre. I haven't read any of his shit before so I don't know how it works in practice. Any thoughts from someone who has read him?

connect_icut

I should clarify that although he clearly lives in another dimension, I can't really say that in theory it is such a bad thing that DC allowed him to fuck around with all their top superhero titles, given that most superhero writers produce the most predictable, infantile, 2-dimensional drivel in the genre. I haven't read any of his shit before so I don't know how it works in practice. Any thoughts from someone who has read him?

Some if it is great, some of it is shite. The first Zenith story he did for 2000AD back in the 80s was phenomenal. His work on Doom Patrol was genuinely mind-bending. More recently, All Star Superman was great. But he pumps out a lot of adolescent crap too.

In other news, I just got a couple of the new Tardi translations from Fantagraphics. Beautiful work and very nicely presented but I have to say: (i) It would be nice if they provided just a bit more context about Tardi's life/work; (ii) The translations seem a little... literal? Most of the translation seems okay but some fairly significant chunks read really badly.

I havn't read All Star Superman myself because I'm not really into the cape stuff, but it's supposed to be really good, and it's drawn by Frank Quitely.

Speaking of Tardi, he's great on so many levels. Adele is probably my all-time favourite superheroine. Which ones did you read? I'm a bit envious that you get to read them for the first time.
I don't know about the Fantagraphics edition and translations, but I'd expect them to be good because usually they they do their job well, whenever I pick up one of their books I get the feeling that they really love the medium comics.

connect_icut

Which ones did you read?

The first Adele book and It Was the War of the Trenches.

I don't know about the Fantagraphics edition and translations, but I'd expect them to be good because usually they they do their job well, whenever I pick up one of their books I get the feeling that they really love the medium comics.

These editions look and feel really nice but the content is a bit lacking, IMHbCO. I would have liked some notes on the translation, in particular, to help me understand some of the weird idioms and stuff like that.