Good broken beat stuff

dHarry

So did BB come directly out of the garage/2-step end of the 'nuum, or does it also have a shared history with that London soul-funk-(Acid)jazz 'nuum? (which is what it looks like from that video; all those carnival good-time summer vibes)

And is it a big scene (compared to, say, dubstep)?

Alfons

Way of the future
So did BB come directly out of the garage/2-step end of the 'nuum, or does it also have a shared history with that London soul-funk-(Acid)jazz 'nuum? (which is what it looks like from that video; all those carnival good-time summer vibes)

I'd like to know this as well. Are there many regular nights? (only one I've heard about is co-op, is it good?) For some reason I've never envisioned this stuff as a really tight knit scene, just seen it as connected to a whole lot of other styles; house, garage, eclectic dj's (Gilles Peterson and the likes) as well as being coffee table music for "grown up" dance music people.

viktorvaughn

I'm pretty sure it is a well small scene with probably older (and wealthier) adherents than say Grime or Dubstep.

I think it has a pretty large acid jazz heritage, I'm sure i have seen stuff labelled broken beat/nu jazz.

I don't think UKG has any larger claim on it than house, reggae, soul or jazz.

hint

party record with a siren

Domu, Seiji, Dego - all came from the Drum and Bass scene. I always thought of BB as something that started around the same time as 2-step - sharing similar influences, but producing a different result.

Check the King Britt remix on this release if you can, for example:
http://www.discogs.com/release/144440

Probably the first tune that I remember picking up that didn't really seem to fit as a House tune or a Garage tune, but isn't a million miles away from either style.

----

As far as new releases are concerned, Somatik's album is out this week:
http://www.goldhillproductions.co.uk/records.htm

ThinKing

haven't got time now, but I'll whack up a fat list here shortly of some of the best bruk bits from the last few years.

here's some bangers, I don't tend to piss around with the broken nowadays unless it's nice n heavy, otherwise I find it gets a bit too floaty or cod-jazz/soul for my liking...that said I haven't bought much but dubstep or cut dubplates for quite a while so I'm a little out of touch, although there just doesn't seem to be much heavy broken (bruk) about these days.

Son of Scientist (IG Culture) Slide feat. Yungun / Solution - Main Squeeze
Black By Birth - Get It Right (IG Culture rmx) - Main Squeeze
Lekan Babalola - Asokere (IG Culture mix) - Lex 51
Blakai (Kaidi Tatham & Mark Force from Bugz) - Afrospace - Schtum
Blakai - Callejon - Schtum
Bugz In The Attic - Zombie - Bitasweet
Seiji - Loose Lips - Bitasweet
Seiji - Remixes LP - Bitasweet
Cousin Cockroach (Dego 4Hero) - This Ain't Tom N' Jerry - Bitasweet
Afronaught - Golpe Tuyo Calinda - Bitasweet
Daz-I-Kue - Rokstone (Soon Come) - Bitasweet
Afronaut - Carnaval - Bitasweet/Naut
Daz-I-Kue - Blak Label Blend - Sound In Colour
Bloodfire Vols. 1-4 (1, 2 & 4 are particularly good)
Seiji & Spoonface - Yin Yang - Honest Jon's
Nutmeg (Dego 4Hero) - Oscar's Shed - Neroli
Nutmeg - State Of Mind / Bicycle Kick - Neroli
Just One - Love2Love - Neroli
Al Da Bubble - Off Tha Record / Double Trouble - Archive
Korpi Ensemble - I Look In Your Eyes (Rima Remix) - Archive
Brave And Bold (Max Fresh Remix) - Minus 8 - Compost

aaah I could go on for ages, that should keep ya going for a lil bit. If anyone wants some more lemme know. ;)

tox

Factory Girl

Interesting list! The ones i've left in the quote are recommedations i'd def. Second! I remember the day I got the full length 12" of Zombie... Didn't stop listening to that one for a while.

Let's hear a few more if you've got them...

Stest

The whole BB scene is small - even after 10 years - although there's a growth producers/artists from diverse areas such as New York, Tokyo, Austria, Brazil, who just make music that can be regarded as "Broken". But it's still dependant on a few producers/artists and labels based around West London to survive....some people still call it "The West London Sound".

As mentioned before, "broken" partially grew from garage/2-step (in the US house sense) - people often say that Nuyorican Soul's (MAW) "Nervous Track" was the first ever "broken" track - but the main producers of "broken" come from all styles of black music including DnB, HipHop, Soul-Funk, Dancehall, Nu-Jazz, RnB, Techno, Soulful/Deep House. There was a common idea that they felt stifled by sticking to one kind of music/genre and just decided to experiment...and this all happened by accident in West London around '97-'99.

The idea behind "broken beat" is to use any musical influence past or present - but give it a future soul-funk edge. It's about, for example, mixing up Herbie Hancock/Billy Cobham/Roy Ayers, with some Detroit Techno, with early'90's HipHop, with '80's Soul, with some Strata East Jazz, with DnB, with some Sly & Robbie, with Nigerian Afrobeat, with Brazilian Batucada........then leaving it to the producer to give their own progressive element.

For this reason, it's hard to define the music (afterall, it still gets racked alongside "Nu Jazz") - and many prefer that....thinking that if it becomes easily defined, then BB is dead.
But then, this is why they may only struggle to sell 300-500 12"'s of a new release worldwide.....I must admit, even after 10years, the scene is still struggling to break out from the shadows.

Video:

tox

Factory Girl
Looks like there's a little bit of a renaissance going on with broken beat. I see Bugz have a new regular night on at East Village in Shoreditch. Some interest from the "wonky" :)slanted:) folks as well, especially with regards to that Dorian Concept LP on Kindred Spirits.

As for recommended mixes, see if you can find the Bugz in the Attic "Breakin' Point" mix. I upped it many moons ago on here... try www.filestube.com

There really aren't that many seminal broken beat mixes/sets on mp3 are there? Aside from the Breakin' Point one there's obviously Bugz Fabric mix. I have a few sets on MD back at my parents place, including one from Afronaught at the Miami WMC 2003 or 4 which I'll dig out at some point. Does anyone have sets from Co-op back when it was at Plastic People, or later on at Concrete in Birmingham? Or any mixes from IG Culture, Mark-de-Clive Lowe, Benji B, Karen P etc?

ThinKing

there's some good tunes on this hour of one of our radio shows a while back:

I-Wolf - Fallin' (Stereotyp remix) - Klein
Freeform Five - Electromagnetic (Seiji remix) - Four Music
Nitin Sawhney - Rainfall (Bugz in the Attic remix) - V2
Season - Juice (Afronaught remix) - Nuevo Ritmo
Fat Jon - Everywhere (Desha remix) - Exceptional
Flowriders - Soul Searchin - 4 Lux
Bugz in the Attic - Zombie - Bitasweet
Al Da Bubble - Double Trouble - Archive

Daz-I-Kue - Black - Bloodfire
October - Ya Know - Fluid Ounce
Lekan Babalola - Asokere (I.G. Culture Mix) - Lex 51
Seiji - Loose Lips - Bitasweet *
Daz-I-Kue vs. Exile - Melon Bounce - Sound In Color
Tito Sensai - Shelembeh - Main Squeeze
Afronaught - Carnaval - Bitasweet
Afronaught - Golpe Tuyo Calinda - Bitasweet *
Daz-I-Kue - Move Part 1 - Sound In Color

Benny Bunter

I'm still only just getting a grip on what broken beat actually is but I like this tune:

I keep coming across broken beat type stuff when searching for funky house tunes. Spoonface is in Ear Dis isn't he? 'I Feel' is a tune too...

And Dark Knight's stuff sounds very Broken Beat, but its getting labelled as Funky on websites like Boomkat. Also very good...

So...mixes anyone? :slanted:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
there's some good tunes on this hour of one of our radio shows a while back:

I-Wolf - Fallin' (Stereotyp remix) - Klein
Freeform Five - Electromagnetic (Seiji remix) - Four Music
Nitin Sawhney - Rainfall (Bugz in the Attic remix) - V2
Season - Juice (Afronaught remix) - Nuevo Ritmo
Fat Jon - Everywhere (Desha remix) - Exceptional
Flowriders - Soul Searchin - 4 Lux
Bugz in the Attic - Zombie - Bitasweet
Al Da Bubble - Double Trouble - Archive

Daz-I-Kue - Black - Bloodfire
October - Ya Know - Fluid Ounce
Lekan Babalola - Asokere (I.G. Culture Mix) - Lex 51
Seiji - Loose Lips - Bitasweet *
Daz-I-Kue vs. Exile - Melon Bounce - Sound In Color
Tito Sensai - Shelembeh - Main Squeeze
Afronaught - Carnaval - Bitasweet
Afronaught - Golpe Tuyo Calinda - Bitasweet *
Daz-I-Kue - Move Part 1 - Sound In Color

Link?

mms

sometimes
there is a rumour that dark knight is an old 2 step producer doing these on the sly
maybe zed bias someone like that.