Where should I eat in London?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
antepilar is flavour of last month, since hala opened a few doors down, with foamy ayran on tap and gozleme ladies in the window, anyone tested yet? (i have, at least 10 times :D )
Yeah okay, been a few times now and it's all good. The gozleme and the koftes are tasty.

On the other hand, Antepiler has cig kofte, buttery chickpea rice and nicer bread.

It's a tasty dilemma.

crackerjack

This may have been mentioned already, but....Yoshino on Shaftesbury Ave is the best takeaway sushi you'll find. About half the price of posher supermarkets and 1,000 times the quality.

Finally made it to Gourmet San last night - not really a meal, more a quick bite on the way back from Rankin's exhibition/titfest. Shared a giant plate of chili fried crabs. Extraordinary stuff. Hot waitress and cool seats too. Back properly soon.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Did anyone reach for the Green Lanes Food Festival thing today? Seemed almost pointless - as in, there wasn't much there foodwise that you couldn't get normally by going into the restaurant rather than going to the stall outside it - but it was all quite good anyway, and it's always nice to have a bit of a shindig on the street.

This may have been mentioned already, but....Yoshino on Shaftesbury Ave is the best takeaway sushi you'll find. About half the price of posher supermarkets and 1,000 times the quality.

Cheaper/ better than Wasabi and the other chain stores? I wish sushi takeaways were as prevalent as the likes of McDonalds, but I suppose if that were the case tuna fish would be extinct before the decade's out.

sufi

lala
Did anyone reach for the Green Lanes Food Festival thing today? Seemed almost pointless - as in, there wasn't much there foodwise that you couldn't get normally by going into the restaurant rather than going to the stall outside it - but it was all quite good anyway, and it's always nice to have a bit of a shindig on the street.
yeh actually
it was a nice atmosphere
my recommendation for hala above is totally withdrawn tho,
they totally let us down badly - i called and asked them to save us a table at lunchtime, they said yeh sure... then failed to keep us a table :mad: - we went to tara just up the road which was as usual excellent,
hala have done the usual restauranteur business plan = friendly and generous with interesting dishes for 6 months, then whack up the prices, take the specials off the menu and diss your faithful punters, cha!

viktorvaughn

Gourmet San for the fourth time - delivered again. Amazing.

The slices of pork or beef poached in hot chilli oil are recommended - basically all the essential Szechuan flavours - dried chilli, Szechuan pepper-corns and oily sauce. The portions are crazy. Lamb skewers to start are unmissable (1£).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

came across this by accident. agree about it seeming a little redundant given the quality of the food in the restaurants - surely in a Turkish area a festival should be selling , dunno, Mexican food or Thai food or jellied eels, rather than the everyday food sold in the area?

Big fan of cordoning off the streets from traffic on Sundays, tho.

viktorvaughn

Is Merkato, the Ethiopian place on Caledonian Road, still open. The Afghan Kitchen review reminded me of it. Largely indifferent food, but I will never forget the place.

Bread the size of bin lids
Lovely Wat
Tinned veg

Here it is.
Long gone I suspect - hope to hear otherwise

luka

time out is a joke, why would anyone expect them to speak sense? youre kidding yourselves