Where should I eat in London?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Based on Simon S mentioning it in another thread, what's Ottolenghi like for dinner, how pricey is it, and is it worth it?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Based on Simon S mentioning it in another thread, what's Ottolenghi like for dinner, how pricey is it, and is it worth it?"
I've been there at my girlfriend's suggestion, I looked at the menu from the street, saw it was about ten or twelve for a main course and thought that wasn't too bad. Then when I got inside I realised that it's kind of like tapas so you've got to buy three or four of those dishes if you want a proper feed. It's not totally ridiculously expensive but that was a nasty shock. It was pretty good mind but that's what I remember every time I think of it. Louise (who wasn't paying) loved it though.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Went to Antepiler on Green Lanes again last night.

I know that conventional dissensus wisdom is that if somewhere has reasonable decor and no formica and friendly service it's not Proper Immigrant Food and hence Probably Not Very Good, but Antepiler really is fantastic. The lamb shish was bang on, the creamy bulgar wheat it came with was fantastic, the bread was lovely and the starter of raw minced lamb with bulgar wheat and spices was amazing. Absolute winner.

sufi

lala
Went to Antepiler on Green Lanes again last night
antepilar is flavour of last month, since hala opened a few doors down, with foamy ayran on tap and gozleme ladies in the window, anyone tested yet? (i have, at least 10 times :D )

sufi

lala
my heartiest recommendation:

Galaxy Curry & Sweet Centre‎

Kingsley Road, Hounslow

franchisee of & as far as i know purveyor of the best black daal on this preferred planet of humankind

i'm working on attaining 'regular' status, but i sense i still have some way to go... it may be a long journey, but it's full of spicy joy

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Went to Antepiler on Green Lanes again last night.

I know that conventional dissensus wisdom is that if somewhere has reasonable decor and no formica and friendly service it's not Proper Immigrant Food and hence Probably Not Very Good, but Antepiler really is fantastic. The lamb shish was bang on, the creamy bulgar wheat it came with was fantastic, the bread was lovely and the starter of raw minced lamb with bulgar wheat and spices was amazing. Absolute winner.

NO FORMICA?? I suppose they had bloody double ply toilet roll as well?! This bourgeois decadence sickens me.

luka

high st north is better soof....
actually, i dunno, can't say i've ever ventured as far as hounslow and i hope i never will.
but igh st north is the home of the best dosas i've ever had. better than anything on drummond st at any rate.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
but igh st north is the home of the best dosas i've ever had. better than anything on drummond st at any rate.

The last restaurant on Drummond St is actually v good, but the staff are like something out of Kafka. Mildly terrifying.

Really obvious, but Southall has some fantastic restaurants (will have to check the 'net to find the names of the one I'm thinking of in particular)

luka

oh drummond st is fantastic. i haven't been there for years but ravi shakar, diwanna and chutneys were all good last time i checked. im just saying, high st north is a)better and b)cheaper and c)in newham.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
just outside beckton (described in the paper today as a "knife crime ridden suburb of london"! and not even in the mail...), at the kids' hospice there. one time a guy who volunteered there took me on a tour past all the old dockers' pubs etc...fascinating part of town

always thought canning town looked well dodgy though.

Last edited: