Where should I eat in London?

tox

Factory Girl
Hang on Tox, that hardly sounds like a quick eat? Had the place recommended to me, but was told about the queues so never been.

This is very true. It was a weekend evening in Covent Garden though, right before showtime. I've heard it's less busy in the week and at lunch. There's also a branch at Westfield if you can face heading there!

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Fassika (im almost certain thats the right one, there are two near each other and im not 100% about the name) on Seven Sisters Rd is the best Ethiopian food I've had by a considerable margin, and thus possibly the best food I've had full stop!

very cheap also (for vegetarian it worked out around 6-7pound a head)

really nice vibes, warm and welcoming, they have Ethiopian jazz on weekly too i believe

if in doubt its the one with short stairs leading up to the main floor (about head height at street level), and stairs going down to the basement where the toilets are
Described by my girlfriend as "worth all the time you fritter away on the internet" after we went there on the back of this recommendation tonight. Awesome food (and about twice what we could eat), nice music, friendly people etc. Winner.

elgato

I just dont know
Described by my girlfriend as "worth all the time you fritter away on the internet" after we went there on the back of this recommendation tonight. Awesome food (and about twice what we could eat), nice music, friendly people etc. Winner.

wicked! glad to hear this :)

viktorvaughn

So...food fans.

Where is decent to eat in Chinatown (or elsewhere)? I've found nice Sezchuan places but what about for straight-up Chinese (if that even exists? what is the stuff in standard places in UK, Cantonese style? Hong Kong?). Enlighten me...

DannyL

Wild Horses
I really like one place on Gerrad Street but I can't remember what it's called! Perhaps that is the way it should be with little restaurants. If I pass by there soon, I'll make a point of checking the name/addy. I't sone of the less touristy looking ones, and it always filled with Chinese people.

Have you tried the korean places on Denmark Street? Very cheap and absolutely lovely. I could eat kimchee all day. Also, in the West End, C&R just North of Leicester Square - Rupert Court. Absolutely awesome Malayasian food. Roti Kanai - which is a kind of fried layered flatbread - and a noodle dish with coconut milk and seafood. This is so nice that I never manage to try anything else whenever I go there - but, I can vouch for hte other dishes as well, I know from stealing other people's foods.

luka

im all for roti canai i'll check that out when i get back to london.
fuck londons chinatown though. always been shit.

viktorvaughn

I really like one place on Gerrad Street but I can't remember what it's called! Perhaps that is the way it should be with little restaurants. If I pass by there soon, I'll make a point of checking the name/addy. I't sone of the less touristy looking ones, and it always filled with Chinese people.

Have you tried the korean places on Denmark Street? Very cheap and absolutely lovely. I could eat kimchee all day. Also, in the West End, C&R just North of Leicester Square - Rupert Court. Absolutely awesome Malayasian food. Roti Kanai - which is a kind of fried layered flatbread - and a noodle dish with coconut milk and seafood. This is so nice that I never manage to try anything else whenever I go there - but, I can vouch for hte other dishes as well, I know from stealing other people's foods.

Thanks - I've been to a couple of Koreans on St Giles High street, which is just next to Denmark street I think - Assa is one.

Not tried the Malaysian one, sounds good.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Thanks - I've been to a couple of Koreans on St Giles High street, which is just next to Denmark street I think - Assa is one.

Not tried the Malaysian one, sounds good.

It's really really good. I didn't go any where else in the West End for a while after I discovered it. Ideal for pre/post Friday night pub action. Singapore Laska is the dish I mentioned.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've just been thinking about how nice beef wellington is (can be) and it occurred to me that I haven't eaten it for about ten years. More than that, I can't remember seeing it on a restaurant menu for the longest time. So, where could I go in London and get a decent beef wellington - preferably not mega expensive but if it is I'll wait until it's my birthday or something.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
So, where could I go in London and get a decent beef wellington - preferably not mega expensive but if it is I'll wait until it's my birthday or something.

Big big birthday treat but Gordon Ramsay at Claridges does it if you can get a table and want to dress up.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Big big birthday treat but Gordon Ramsay at Claridges does it if you can get a table and want to dress up."
Nice one. As it happens my football team won the league for the third time in a row yesterday (after being way off the pace - in fifth at the half-way point we looked dead and buried) and we will be looking for somewhere posh to go where we can get dressed up and stuff. I can't afford to win the league again though.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Nice one. As it happens my football team won the league for the third time in a row yesterday (after being way off the pace - in fifth at the half-way point we looked dead and buried) and we will be looking for somewhere posh to go where we can get dressed up and stuff. I can't afford to win the league again though.

I've always wanted to go just cos I love Claridges, I think it's like book months in advance though, though that might be one of those total restaurant lies in order to get a buzz. Let me know what it's like if you do go, I'd expect it's totally great.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I will do. Could work actually 'cause we'll need to pick somewhere we can pick miles in advance so we can save up.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
So is there actually anywhere nice and affordable for an evening meal in the centre? Lots of good place N / E / S in this thread but I'm trying to go somewhere in the centre to meet friends from all over the place, and noone can think of a better option than Cafe Uno. :(

IdleRich

IdleRich
There's a place on Denmark Street called Giacondo or something. I've heard good things about it as reasonably priced and good food but I haven't tried it myself. I was supposed to go there once but it was shut because the chef had broken his arm falling off his bike or something.

viktorvaughn

There's a place on Denmark Street called Giacondo or something. I've heard good things about it as reasonably priced and good food but I haven't tried it myself. I was supposed to go there once but it was shut because the chef had broken his arm falling off his bike or something.

Giaconda is really nice (and tiny) but not very cheap. Not crazy expensive either though.
http://www.giacondadining.com/contact.html